Friday, November 9, 2007

Some wide format pastels I'm doing in a series.

Like I mentioned in my first post on the blog. Sometimes it's just good to break out of whatever routine you find yourself in while painting be it subject matter, materials that you're used to, or in the way you work. Seems like I usually prefer a more square format (8x10, 10x12, 20x24, 30x36, etc.) for my paintings. That hit me one day as being too routine a compositional format, one that I 'always' rely on. So lately I've been paintng these 1:2 or 1:3 ratio paintings and pastels. It's very refreshing and I plan to do more of these. I think one of the things that strikes me most about this kind of a format is that it feels peaceful and restful to do and to view.


A Place For Meditation - pastel - 10x20


Moist Autumn Air - pastel - 8x24

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really like your A Place for Meditation. The size ratio really works for that painting.

The clarity and crispness is excellent

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
Yes, I agree the paintings are peaceful. As the veiwer I feel I am really connected by having a wide view. I really feel I am in that moment and time. Well done!
April

nature lover said...

I love the new format. Peaceful and restful. Thanks for inviting me to join your blog
Nature Lover

Barb said...

I'm glad to see your blog, Marc. Stunning posts. As someone who has seen your painting on exhibit, I can say the real work is eveything and more, and encourage anyone "taken" by your work on-line to seek out one of your shows. They are breath-taking.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Anonymous, April and Nature lover...Thank you all. I'm glad the format is doing what I'd hoped it would. Keeps me from painting so much 'sky' too! :)

Barb...thanks so much for making the opening of the Tuscany show. It means a lot to artists to see people come to appreciate what they do. Most of the painters in that show were there as a first time exhibitiing. They had a great intro due in part to those of you who came to support their work. Thanks again.

PAFord Pastelist said...

Marc, These wide-format paintings are just beautiful. I learn so much from you...thank you! Paula

Simon S. Andrews said...

that top one has amazing value.. the darks just make it fantastic with the yellow

oxeye said...

A Place For Meditation.. orgasmic!