Thursday, January 31, 2008

Another Full Disclosure Demo


Okay....Here I go again! This is risky you know?! I could fail....yikes!!! But I figure that this will keep me thinking and not getting lazy in the process. It's a lot like teaching workshops and classes. I'm putting myself in full view of the three or four of you who look at this blog. That means that I better get it right....right?

So this is a 24x30 on stretched Yarka linen that I re-primed with Studio Products White Lead Primer. The surface is so wonderful to paint on that I've already decided that I will need to take a week later this spring and stretch linen and prime it with this primer, build a drying rack and stock up with many sizes.

I'm using a pretty limited palette for this one. For some reason I'm feeling 'tonalist' and am only using Cad Lemon Yellow, Light Yellow Ochre, Permanent Red Medium, Permanent Madder Deep, Ultramarine Deep and Raw Umber...that's right, RU! I almost never use that color but like it for it's smoky quality in greens and grays. Plus it dries faster and I am hoping for that too. For white I'm using Studio Products Great White, Flake white.

Sooo, what am I painting? Well I am going strictly for mood again. The composition isn't complicated. The color will be complicated even though it's tonalist in it's limitations. It's that subtle thing again. I think it's more difficult (for me) to reign in the profusion of color possibilities and keep my harmonics in balance in a lower keyed scale. That is my challenge for this painting and the 'thing' that I want to portray. So here we go....you and I will see what happens.

This view is from about 4 hours work yesterday. All of the work to this point has been laid in with a palette knife. Then I came back to it with bristle brushes to 'knock' down the look of the knife. I want the knife qualities but don't want them to be overpowering and too 'knife like'. Apply, scrape, smooth, brush out, scrape, apply, smooth, brush out. That's the exercise in brief.

My disclaimer is: Beware, anything can change at any time...and is likely to.
I'll be posting my progress at least once a day or when something interesting actually happens!

9 comments:

Robin said...

Hi Marc - I just thought I'd finally surface & post a message, since you joked about your number of readers. :) I attended one of your workshops in Lanesboro a few years ago (my sister lives in Lanesboro -- and my painting was less than memorable so no worries if you don't remember me!!), and I actually check the blog almost every day. It's become part of my morning routine to check for a new post before diving into another day at work. It's a great way to start another 'day at the office'!! I'm finally trying to make a consistent effort to paint more often, and I find your blog extremely helpful & inspiring. Also, these demo's are great - thanks for sharing w/ us! If I get a bit more confidence (ha!) I'm hoping to make it to another workshop soon. Just thought I'd say hi and thank you for all this great information. It's invaluable!

- Robin Wieskus

Marc R. Hanson said...

Robin... Of course I remember you in Lanesboro. Are you still with the medical company?
Well you caught me, the number is probably double that! :)
None the less, I'm humbled that you tune in to this that frequently. And that it's so helpful. I'll try not to lead you astray. ;-) Keep painting and stay in touch.
Thanks again.

Christopher O'Handley said...

Yeah, I think you've got a bit more than 4 viewers! I check in here pretty much every day but just don't have time to comment very much.

Really do appreciate your demos, I know it's time consuming to take all the photos, then upload them, write about them, etc. Makes me feel like I'm at a workshop again, though without the hassle of traveling and the expense of lodging. These studio demos are particularly informative to me, as I've really done very little studio painting and often find myself feeling lost when I do (as opposed to the rush rush plein air approach where anything goes).

In this one, the sky looks pretty much finished, I'll be interested to see if you do more work on it...

Chris

PG said...

Love the sky - really love the sky. And enjoying watching another artist at work in a totally different discipline to my own.

René PleinAir. said...

Go Marc go, ...

Am I counting right? I am # 4 ! :-)

Love the last two post from you, absorbing every bit of it.

Thanks

Donna T said...

I'm here too, Marc. I really appreciate your demos. This one is a beauty, can't wait to see how you finish it.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Honestly, I appreciate all of the feedback I get from the blog. Many prefer the privacy of email so I knew that there were more than four people looking in. ;-)

I really do love the idea that this is helping others. Must be that I'm hiding those little numbers on the board pretty well. That's tip #409... cover the numbers up reeaaaall good and they'll never know.

Chris... I hope I don't wipe out my workshop business doing this!!! You are very right, the sky is done and except for dealing with adjoining edges with other elements, I'm not messing with it.

PG... Very nice work! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to see it.

Rene'... You're #1!!! :) Thanks pal. I'll try not to disappoint.

Donna T... Thanks for watching. I'll probably get another shot posted in a little while. I've worked all day on making the large tree feel like it belongs. I'll talk more about that when I post the pic.

Frank Gardner said...

Hi Marc, That's a good trick to see who is checking in on your blog. I should try that one.
You have a really good start on this one. I love the sky.
I know what you mean about putting one up before your done.

Patty Meglio said...

Marc,

I really like the misty quality of the tree. It and the sky really set the scene for a quiet time in a rural setting, when the day has either just started or is just about to end. Thanks for posting the details.