Monday, March 3, 2008

A month since last post!!!???



'The Red Car' - oil - 11x14

This is one that I did yesterday in Taylors Falls. The location is just off of the main drag and is the backside of a couple of houses. It was a grey, drizzly, dreary day. But that red car (Mustang in reality) caught my eye poised in the shadows of those cedars. Made for an interesting study on an uninteresting day.

Where does time go? I've been in New Orleans painting with Mary Whyte of Coleman Fine Art in Charleston, SC. They are mounting a show for us next November with New Orleans as the theme. That will include Mary, Joe Paquet, John Crosby, George Strickland and yours truly. I painted for about 4 and a half days and came home with 13 oils. We had a lot of rain, but thanks to Phil Sandusky, a resident New Orleans painter (who has a great book out with a collection of paintings he did of his beloved city following Katrina. He painted, as he does everyday, around the neighborhoods that he always paints and recorded the aftermath. He did so many paintings that it seemed like a logical next step to put them into a book, he did and it's a treat to view. ), back to Phil and rain...Since he paints outside from life every day(ahhh, warm weather), he has options when it rains. So we found ourselves 7 stories up in an open parking garage looking down over the waterfront in New Orleans. It resulted in a sketch for me that has me the most excited to turn into a larger studio piece. New Orleans is an incredible place to paint. It's a color orgy! I highly recommend any painter heading there to explore the French Quarter (did some nocturnes there and that's a 'wildlife' experience unlike most other wildlife experiences I've had painting nocturnes), the Megnary (sp?) neighborhood of Creole 'shotgun' cottages from the 18th and 19th century. They are painted any color the owner darn well chooses! And they like bright color.

It's all good there. Even painting on the city streets is a real treat. It feels like Europe and the people are very respectful and interested in artists.

Eventually I will post some sketches but they're still in the box.

This painting that I last posted on has had some work done to it and now needs resuscitation. I might revive it, might not. At any rate, it's been shelved for now.

10 comments:

Frank Gardner said...

Hi Marc, nice to see ya back!
I thought that you were probably down in New Orleans. Glad you had a good trip.
I watched a video demo by Phil the other day. I think it was on American Artist web site. via artdemonstrations.com pretty cool.
Can't wait to see what you came home with.

TJ said...

Hi, Marc, looking forward to seeing the New Orleans paintings. We wandered all around that area when I was last there. Further south of New Orleans back in the bayou country. Like you said, it is like being in the old country!

Terry

Michael Chesley Johnson, PSA, PSNM said...

Gorgeous piece, Marc! Glad to see you made it somewhere warm. (Still much snow up here.)

Jamie said...

Marc, I'm still holding my breath for those New Orleans paintings! *hint, hint*

deborah kirby said...

Marc, I can't remember who turned me on to your art and blog, but I surely do enjoy your work. I will be visiting often.

Deb

MaryAnn Cleary said...

Marc, I just found your site through "Informed Collector". Your work is amazing and it is also nice to see that you live in Minnesota!! MaryAnn

Jennifer Bellinger said...

I just found your blog on Frank Gardner's blog. Love this painting, such a powerful compostion, you nailed it. I will check back often!

janellegoodwin said...

I've admired your work for some time and was happy to have found your blog. Your work is amazing.

Janelle

Marc R. Hanson said...

Frank...I'm going backwards it catching up. Thanks again. I appreciate your words, always.

Terry...I'm holding off on posting the studies until I use them as reference material for the studio paintings. Thanks for looking in.

Michael...Thanks. Two months later...still snowing there? :)

Jamie...Okay...breath! You'll learn not to hold your breath on my account. :)

Deb...Thanks. I'm glad you found it. Now if I'd only stay 'timely' in updating it.

Hi Maryann...see you in August! Thanks.

Jennifer...Thanks. I'm trying to be more active, sorry for the delays in posting.

Hi Jennifer...Thanks for looking in. It's appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!