Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sneak Preview of New Orleans Show in November!


"Waterfront Stroll" - pastel on UArt 600 - 18x22 - © Marc R. Hanson 2008

On November 7th, 2008 I will be participating in a gallery artist show at Coleman Fine Art in Charleston, SC that will feature paintings of New Orleans, LA. I've talked about this a little bit here before and posted another painting that I completed for this show earlier in my blog life. These paintings will all be available at the show, and not until then, but I wanted to post them now to show what is happening on my easel as I prepare for the show.

This painting was painted from a sketch that I did from the upper levels of a parking garage one morning. Mary Whyte, Phil Sandusky ( a New Orleans painter) and I spent a rainy day up in this garage at Phil's suggestion and it was a good one. Phil has published a book about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and knows how to find a painting location in New Orleans no matter what the weather! Thanks to him we had some spectacular scenery with fog and rain on the subject, not us.

What caught my attention in this scene was the contrast between the illumination from the lights and the cool quality of the color in the surrounding fog covered landscape. I quickly found out that my job would be to orchestrate everything in the picture in a way that would support the warm orange lights and the halo of illumination that surrounded them. As we worked the fog from the river, just off to my right side, would come in so thick that almost everything would be obliterated. Then it would recede and a lot of the scene would show itself briefly until the fog rolled in again. I chose to paint the very impressionistic feeling of the scene when it was almost completely obscured by the heaviest fog.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!! That is evocative and atmospheric!!! Beautiful. (and, I can smell that NOLA near-bayou air, just looking at the painting!!!) (many levels of lagniappe goin' on on that canvas!!!)
.....so great to see that you are "back" after a long absence from your blog.

Marc R. Hanson said...

anonymous... Thank you. Most of my painting lately has been while teaching. I plan to post some pics of some of the workshops but just need the time to edit pics and all that 'office' work!
What is "lagniappe"??? You have lost me with that word.

Anonymous said...

"Lagniappe," is New Orleans jargon for "a little something extra" - though it really translates more as a blessing on top of something already good, though I'm sure a lifelong NOLAian would say it better. It's all good, though, no matter how it's used. (I spent a lot of time there a while back - it's a fragrant place. Not all the fragrances are pleasing, but nevertheless, fragrant it is, especially in spring - sweet olive trees, tulip trees, magnolias, azaleas, gardenias, jasmine - you name it, the air is full of it. I hope you were there in springtime.)

I really enjoyed the close-up, high-definition view of your painting. I wish I could see your show in person!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh - I forgot - I'm anxious to see your teaching/workshop posts/paintings, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HURRY!!!!!!!
: )

WoolMoon said...

Your work is fantastic. I, too, wish I could see them up close and personal at the show. Fog and rain are my favorites in person AND in artwork. Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Dianne Mize said...

I don't believe I ever thought it possible to get rich colors when painting fog, but you've done it. It's just beautiful.

Donna T said...

It's all about the light coming through the fog - beautiful effect, Marc. I'd love to see your show, too. I just ordered some UArt paper ... can't wait to try it out.

Julianne said...

Just wonderful, Marc (hi, by the way!!!). So atmospheric, and those warms against the cools...