Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Finally...I made it out to paint this utterly spectacular fall we're having. I was driving home from the Twin Cities early this afternoon and the color was so unbelievably beautiful that I felt that I had to paint it before the rain, wind or my schedule made it so that I couldn't. If I'm lucky over the next week or so, we'll still have some of this around.
Of course I end up right at the base of the hill I live on in the Interstate Park to paint. The problem with painting fall is one, the color is almost so over the top that it's garish. The other is that fall is an overall impression of the entire landscape all around you. Not just one little corner. Once you settle into an artist view point you eliminate all of your surroundings that are also a large part of your impressionistic influence of "fall". In the first instance, yep...it's our job as painters to tame that garish quality to make it a harmonious, pleasing image of what we feel about what we're seeing. No easy task. Secondly, all of the information around you comes into play as you paint your chosen little corner of the world. It just doesn't show in a direct way. It probably shows most directly in the enthusiasm the painter has to paint on a day like this! Mine was high.
'Nuff complaining. It was one hell of a gorgeous day, painting or no painting.


"Fall Maple" - oil - 8x10 - © Marc R. Hanson 2008

This one was posted here last spring. Thought it would be interesting to post it again as it was painted about 20 paces to the left of 'Fall Maple'. These are both painted from the parking lot.
Now I suppose I'll have to do 'Winter'. That should be no problem!!! It's coming soon...


"First Green Of Spring" - oil - 8x10 - © Marc R. Hanson 2008

14 comments:

Donna T said...

I appreciate your thoughts on "taming that garish quality." Beautiful painting of the golden maples! You really nailed the feeling of the glow they produce and it's not over the top at all.

Anonymous said...

oh, oh, oh, i remember First Green of Spring!
i love the way you got that "melting" quality of fall in this present painting! your description of experiencing (and then portraying) fall's visual panorama was nice, too.
i'm a fan of the cloudy, rainy fall days, when the colors are luminescent....similar to spring. so interesting that spring and fall have so many parallels, despite their polar opposite places in the life-death cycle.....
regardless, i like your melting golden painting!

Anonymous said...

i came back to look at this on a better computer/monitor - wow - you really captured that overwhelming color atmosphere that autumn yellow-gold and orange-auburns bring to the eyes. even on a cloudy day, the brightness and intensity are almost overwhelming to the eyes. it's like being covered in a color blanket! you caught that so well! and those wee glimpses of the St. Croix through the trees - so beautifully hinted. i really like your paintings. thanks.

Alexandre Jay said...

Loving the autumnal colours of 'Fall Maple'

Sylvia Jenstad said...

Wow! love 'Fall Maple' ... really cool colours... I also love 'Noon Hour Shower'

Marc R. Hanson said...

anonymous...thanks again. How'd you know that's the St.Croix behind those trees? Well I guess I've left a few clues over time haven't I?
You're right though. It's the cloudy days that are the most intensely fall looking and in my mind, the most painter friendly. I'm looking outside right now though, it's hazy and sunny, and the itch is getting stronger to go paint. Hmmmm...

alexandre... Thank you. Thanks for stopping in.

Sylvia... Thanks for the comments. It really is going to take a lifetime to even get close to 'trying' to capture the visual explosion of peak fall. Better get busy.

Anonymous said...

well, looks like you got outside painting after all - i just commented on that painting.
but, re: the St. Croix - I know Taylor's Falls (not like the back of my hand, admittedly) and Interstate Park (not like the back of my hand, admittedly), so what else could it be but the St. Croix??????????
: )

Anonymous said...

oh - I just looked at the times of your posts..........since you added the painting to the pumpkin post, I assumed you'd painted that one today - maybe not...........either way, i hope you got out, and either way, i love that new painting you added to the pumpkin post.........

Marc R. Hanson said...

anonymous...I did get out today. Thanks. Did/do you live here? My curiousity is peaked. Fess up. ;-)

Anonymous said...

stillwater.

Marc R. Hanson said...

anonymous...Aha! No wonder you seem so familiar with what I'm painting. :)

Anonymous said...

sigh....the mystery is gone.

actually, i thought i'd mentioned it before. it wasn't meant to be a secret. not being a painter, i don't have a blog, so my only commenting option is via the "anonymous" identity label....it's not intended to be mysterious.

: )

Marc R. Hanson said...

anonymous...Understood. It is nice though to know who is saying what they're saying. You know, why do they take the time to type here? There is almost always some connection as an artist, local (in your case:)), family or something. So I appreciate knowing that at least you're local and have that connection. I appreciate your insight painter or not. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

and, regarding familiarity with your paintings.........i've seen many other paintings of the St. Croix valley...it's not my familiarity with the surroundings that draws me to your paintings....it's the way you paint. the way you paint so many different "things"..........like a rainy street in the French Quarter or some working boats on the Mississippi or the lawn of a former mental institution.....or a smalltown summer night.
it's the way you paint. believe me, it's the way you paint.