Saturday, November 15, 2008

Where's the sun!?


'Sun Block' - oil on linen - 8x10

We haven't seen it for awhile now. That's just an excuse to post a little painting that I did a few years ago called 'Sun Block'. Wish I needed some right now.

This was a painting that was a bit of an experiment for me. I had been on the Upper Mississippi River painting a 24x30 plein air piece for an upcoming show that was opened in 2005. I had some new lead white paint and some of a very nice double lead primed linen called RIX, a Frederix product. My idea was to paint some of the drama I had been witnessing while painting the 24x30 over the period of a couple of long days out. But I wanted that old, turn of the (20th)century look, the 'sublime' idea of the Hudson River school painters. So I limited my palette to Alizarin Crimson, Transparent Oxide Red, Cad Yellow Deep (Rembrandt), Ultramarine Deep (Rembrandt) and Great White Flake White (Studio Products, Cenninni), an absolutely wonderful flake white to work with. The entire painting was kept transparent as long as possible ( photo taken back when my camera and my digital photo taking knowledge was minimal at best so the transparency doesn't show well here) with only the lights, using a heavy application of the flake white, being opaque. It became a very emotional painting for me and led to several other pieces that ended up in the show. They all sold. :) A very sweet lady who worked at the art school where I was doing some teaching and the show was held, purchased this one. She cried, it affected her that way. It is so cool that we are able to bring about that kind of emotion in people. I've made people cry, believe me, but to make them cry because they're affected by what you've done in a positive way, not in a negative way (high school coaches...) cannot be measured on the 'I'm lucky' scales.
So that's my morning mix of 'procrastination' prose. :)

10 comments:

Ed Terpening said...

Wonderful painting: perfect, actually.

I had a similar experience, coincidentally with a sunset painting as well. It was the first painting to sell, and the buyer told me he knew exactly where it was painted and even which month. When he told me, he was right on both counts. It was sad for him because the vacation town it was painted from was the last spot he and his partner would enjoy before his partner died. It felt great that he had something beautiful to remember him by.

Patty Meglio said...

Nice atmosphere. I have a large tube of flake white and I'm just never sure what to do with it, since I was always told to use titanium white when painting. Maybe I will try using it. It must have been hard to put off using it until you had the transparent colors in.
Did you do this from life or from a photo?

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hey Ed... I'll take that compliment, with reservation...! ;) Even though I know you're just being nice... but thanks.

Wow, that story is a touching one. That's when all the negatives go away fast and you become even more grateful that you do something that affects people so deeply. Good for you.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Patty... Thanks. Actually, I placed the lights with the flake white in a very impasto way right away and then pushed the other color into them. The linen, double primed lead, has a surface that is fairly slippery so I can move paint around with no trouble. The nice thing about flake white is that it has a nice warm tone to it and, depending on brand, it makes stringy, impasto marks if you don't thin it down. It holds shape well. Just use caution when using it and keep your hands clean.

Anonymous said...

definitely sublime!
exquisitely dramatic!
a treasure!

Alexandre Jay said...

That sky is truly wondrous in every sense!

Marc R. Hanson said...

anonymous, thank you!

Marc R. Hanson said...

alexandre jay... Thanks. I only wish the photo showed the painting a little better. Bad glare.
I painted a 30x40 of this too. It's in a gallery in KC, MO, American Legacy Gallery. That required some energy to paint. :)

Solvay said...

I keep coming back to see this sky.
So 19th century! Full of mystery and magnificence and imagination about what's beyond the clouds.
Wondrous.
Solveg

Jo Castillo said...

This is just beautiful. Lovely to look at. Nice story, too.