Sunday, December 7, 2008

And now for something completely different!!!


This is today looking outside my studio window. Makes you want to stay inside and paint, or something. Brrrrrrrrr!


'Rose Breasted Grosbeaks' - oil on panel - 15x12 - © Marc R. Hanson '95


'Northern Orioles' - oil on panel - 15x12 - © Marc R. Hanson '95


'Downy Woodpeckers' - oil on panel - 15x12 - © Marc R. Hanson '95

For some reason I decided to photograph some older 'pre- digital' age paintings. These go back to '95...whoa.....13 years ago! Yikes. I'm not sure I even owned a computer then. My first one was a Mac 2200 or something like that? But I know for sure that I didn't have a digital camera. Anyway, I thought it would be good to take some pics of some of the paintings lying around my studio that are probably on slide film (remember that cantankerous stuff?), but should be on digital files too.

Plus, it's bird feeding season and my cat is out in the kitchen area leaping up and down trying to grab the birds feeding right outside the window as I type. He's inside, they're outside. I should have named him after a cartoon character like 'Pogo' instead of a famous artist 'Sargent', which is his name. So in part, this is just to tease him too. ;-)

I painted these images along with about 6 more for The Hamilton Collection. They took a circular section (guess where??? :) ) and made a plate series from them. Everything is in focus, for the most part, birds as large or slightly larger than life, and right in your face. That said, I liked painting them...and they paid me $$$. : -) (real big grin).

16 comments:

Frank Gardner said...

That snow looks beautiful. I bet it is quiet.

It's cool to see some of your older stuff. Did you get a set of plates too?

Marc R. Hanson said...

Frank I have boxes of plates. Seriously, they've been great gifts.

It is quiet and I can't wait to get out to paint it. I'm going to wait for some sun though.

How's the project coming?

Frank Gardner said...

I've had to take a few days off on that. Soon.

Pattie Wall said...

Lovely bird paintings and oh, how you have changed, I love your style. I am a friend of Gary Ozias' in Kansas and he tells me about how wonderful you are...all the time! I am really studying your 'nocturnal' painting learning.

VanDerHoekArt said...

Very nice! I like how you used the branches to keep my eye in each one. Three well designed pieces.

Solvay said...

Very pretty view from your window!
And, I like the bird paintings a lot! Thanks for sharing those! Orioles and woodpeckers are favorites of mine, particularly orioles - I like the oriole painting best - so sunny. I can hear them singing!

...off to find some more songs for my little December project! I looked for a couple of great mando songs Bruce Cockburn did about ten years ago - couldn't find them. Oh well.

: )

Maggie Latham said...

Marc, I absolutely love your bird paintings. You need to paint that scene from your window…just the way it is photographed…. in monochrome(lol).

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Pattie... welcome! 'Hi' to Gary who truly is one of the 'nicest' people that you could know.

I've always had an issue with my work being an ever evolving enigma. It's good to build on a look...think of the artists we all know. Someday I hope to get there.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Kim thanks. I did try to do that! Glad someone noticed! ;-)

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Solveg. I looked up Bruce Cockburn and I do know his music, the name didn't ring 'my' bell.

The song of an oriole is beautiful, soothing. Up here if you put out too much food for the orioles, oranges, nectar, etc., the bears show up. Happened to my neighbors. So I don't feed them.

NO orioles around now...just 'snow' buntings!!! ;)

Marc R. Hanson said...

Maggie, it's nice scene isn't it? The building is my landlord's painting studio. The back porch that is.

Thank you. : )

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Beautiful bird paintings. Very accomplished. I love the snow scene as well, and I think I'll stay in today ;)

Solvay said...

I was sure you'd've heard Bruce's music! I scrounged around, yesterday, trying to find my recordings of his, to find the mandolin songs. No luck, yet. He's an interesting lyricist and great guitar player.

Interesting about getting bears when you feed orioles.

Interesting about the eye-drawing branches.

And, nice "all the time" compliment.

Artwork by Christopher said...

Hi Marc --just checking in--I really like the new piece "Raking In" Also the snow looks like central Iowa today. I think we have more ice though. Always a pleasure to view your work--

Patty Meglio said...

Love the bird paintings. They must have been fun to do.
The scene from your window is pretty cool. You should paint it. I might make a nice nocturnal.

Theresa Rankin said...

You have come a long way, Marc! Congrats on the big bucks for your plate images...always nice. But I must say I love and much prefer your current painterly style! The snow pic is great...a possible painting?