Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Starting vehicles... or not ???

The good news is that after about 5 hours of trying to start my car in sub zero weather (beginning at 4:00 am ), I didn't drain my battery...AND...I discovered that my now 8 yr old truck, has had an engine block heater all of this time!!! Plug that baby in and bring on the -50F below weather baby!!!

I always prefer to see the 'bright' side. Believe me that was a bright one. I had to get my son to the train station and no car meant 'bad dad'! In my defense, and I do need one, the last time we had that kind of cold, my truck lived in a garage and now it doesn't. I love my truck, always faithful. It now has about 230,000 miles, most of all of those are from painting trips. :-)

In honor of my truck, here are a couple of images featuring that enemy of all batteries... Winter. 'The Red Car' is a field study from last February ( and has been posted here before ), 'Rural Route' is new and was painted in the studio during this really cold weather. Thanks for taking a look.


"The Red Car" - oil - 11x14 - © Marc R. Hanson '08


"Rural Route" - oil - 16x24 - © Marc R. Hanson '09

13 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

Your "bad dad" comment made me smile. Really like the coposition on this landscape.

LSaeta said...

Ok, I was just complaining to my boys that it was "freezing this morning" as it was 47 degrees in Pasadena. And if you can imagine, my car started fine when I took them to school this morning! Hah ... hah ...
I still cannot fathom how you can paint in weather as cold as it is ... but as always, your paintings are beautiful!

Keith said...

Great paintings Marc- I'm particularly fond of the quality of light in the second one.

I managed to drain my car battery over the weekend - nothing to do with the weather though - left the Sat Nav on!

Donna T said...

Hang in there Marc, Spring must be coming! I love the sky in Rural Route, with the sun trying desperately to break through. If 'frosty and still' is a mood you nailed it!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Pam... Thanks for understanding. We had an extra day together due to the 'bad dad' event. It was worth it.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Leslie...Are you trying to rub it in??? :-)
Thanks. Just for fun, take those paints out in the 47 degrees and see what the cooler temps do to them. Then double or triple the effect and you'll have some idea of what it's like in 'these' temps.
I appreciate your thoughts.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hey Keith...thanks for stopping in. I hope the Sat Nav was on for finding painting locations!!!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Donna. Spring "must be coming"??? That's not all that comforting a statement. Truthfully, we've had a beautiful winter and it continues to be that. There hasn't been any sloppy stuff...that's worse than cold. It's been good skiing snow since December.

Edward Burton said...

Beautiful paintings - love the compositions!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Ed... Thanks for your comments.

José said...

Hi,

Now, this one I really like.
The filtered sunlight is realistic and the perspective is sure convincing.
The palette is harmonious contributing to a well balanced and unified work.

Have a nice weekend,

José

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Jose´. Thanks for the thoughtful comments.

Jala Pfaff said...

This is really nice, so quiet and serene.