Monday, March 16, 2009

Blustery warm spring day!


'Two Toms' - oil on linen - 11x14 © Marc R. Hanson '09

Wow! Can't beat 60F degrees... unless the wind is calm and not blowing around 15 to 25 kts. I was planning on painting outside all day to take advantage of these warm temps. But after an hour on this one, trying to get the brush to land somewhere on the painting that I intended, I decided to work on my frame for the rest of the afternoon. I could not get out of the wind even in the old reliable 'out of the wind' locations.

I painted this around 11 am or so this morning, up on a knoll. The light and color is very, very attractive right now and I'm dying to paint more of it before the greens start showing up, which they are beginning to do as of today. Grasses in fields turned green as I was watching in some places. I was seriously so blasted by wind that I was about to wipe this one when these two tom turkeys showed up from out of nowhere. It was so cool to see them in this setting that I spent the few minutes that they were in front of me memorizing as best I could their posture/attitudes, and then braced my hand and knocked them in, inbetween gusts of wind. All total slightly less than an hour on this one. It's barely painted but the mood of the day is there so I learned something....

12 comments:

Mark Bridges said...

I sure like the way you can get the twiggy masses of the trees to look so realistic. Just how do you do it in the gray tree in front? Looks like three layers using an old gesso brush, is my guess. Turkeys are cool and they do make that gobble sound.

Ben Bauer said...

gobblin away Marc.

B

Jeffrey Risner said...

I like the yellows of the grays in the trees. I want to try that.

Kim VanDerhoek said...

Considering the wind, this turned out well and looks like you have enough information to take it to a finished level if you decide to. I like the addition of the turkeys, they are a charming focal point. Does this painting have any wind-blown debris stuck in the paint?

I have a beach painting done one a very windy day that is covered with sand. I brushed most of it off after it dried but there is still a lot of sand left in it. Authentic plein air...

Marc R. Hanson said...

Mark, you're partly right and probably would be 100% right if I'd thought to use the old gesso brush!
I just use the flat hog bristles, an older one, yes. But more than that, it's an activity of planning the steps out in your mind on the spot, and then using what ever tool is best for you, a LIGHT touch. 'Wispy' is the word that comes to ming.
That's why I was complaining about the wind so much. My light touch was usually more of a loud thud as the wind smashed my brush into the linen.
The layers idea is correct too.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hey Ben... yummmm... wild turkey on the grill!!!!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Go for it Jeff!!! Cobalt blue light, Terra Rosa, yellow ochre and some viridian ( in varying proportions ) is mostly what that is.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Kim just dust! Most of the debris was flying by too fast to stick. I can't wait for bug season. Bug wings make a great texture.

Connie said...

When, oh, when are you going to come to North Carolina and give a workshop so I can take it? It's nice and warm here with no wind. You would love it!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Connie... it sounds nice. Gather up some more interest and let's see what we can do about it.

connie said...

Marc, I will see what I can do!

Solvay said...

So beautiful, this one. You do winter into spring SO well!!!