Monday, April 20, 2009

April 20, 2009

I would love to tell you how beautiful it was today. If you like Wind, Cold and Sleet, it was gorgeous! My portfolio for the day reflects what there was to deal with. It’s good to be back, but will be worlds better when this current front gets the heck out’a here.


“Ditch” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
As you can see... WE HAVE GREEN! Yipee!!! Once the sun returns, tomorrow or Wednesday, the color is going to be a riot to paint. Today was powerful. But this morning was just plain ‘hypothermia’ inducing chilly. The cows watched me as I painted this one.



“Noon Rain” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
By now it was blowing and raining so hard that I just pulled the truck over onto an easement and painted from the front seat. The photo of this is not very sharp, my apologies for that. I like the subtle shaft of light in the distance and that’s why this one was painted.



“Deer Stand” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Up here these are as common a sight as jungle gyms in suburbia are. There is a permanent stand in any good looking funnel or edge where the trees meet the open fields. Pretty big ones too.


“It’s Over” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I was ready for today to close. Truthfully, the weather was as brutal as it’s been all month. Not as cold, but just plain nasty today. I grabbed what little bit of color there was towards the end and made the most out of it.

11 comments:

Scott Boyle said...

Hi Marc, Great job on these! I know your tired of these ole gray days, but you are showing us how beautiful they can be thru the eyes of an artist. I really enjoy your subtle color transitions in your skys today.

Susan Parsons said...

Hi Marc, You can wring color out of the grayest of days. We had a bright, sunny day here and with good intentions and my painting gear I hiked part of the East Coast Trail. The bays are full of icebergs. Beautiful to look at but talk about hypothermia. I decided to just look.

Brad M said...

Marc, these are hauntingly beautiful.
Capturing one of those days you might otherwise decide to sit out.

LSaeta said...

Sorry your weather was so bad. We are having bad weather in Southern California as well. It was over 100 degrees yesterday. When I got in my car last night at 8:30 p.m. it was still 89 degrees. Too hot to paint ...

Carol Horzempa said...

Hi Marc, I live in Wisconsin and love seeing the beautiful paintings you come up with on these grey days we are experiencing.

I sees scenes like yours so often when driving through Wisconsin and Minnesota, but you capture the beauty with all your subtle greys. I would love to know what colors you use on your palate especially to paint the dull grey greens I see everyday.

Jeremy Elder said...

Sorry about the weather, but it made for some moody paintings, which is better than overcast and flat, right? We could use a storm down here - it is 100F in southern California right now.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Scott... Thank you for that. Today were those skies that one probably wouldn't be nuts about flying through... you maybe, not me! ;-)

Marc R. Hanson said...

Susan... I need to remember that there are lot's of people who are still looking at temps that we have forgotten about already, when griping.
Thanks for the comments.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hey Brad!!! How are ya? Nice article in American Artist by the way. You should do four of those a day!!! See me ducking?
Thanks Brad.
Marc

Marc R. Hanson said...

Leslie... You're teasing me! :-)
Don't you have shade out there?
Ahhhhh.... Nocturnes.

Brad M said...

Thanks Marc.
I was pretty pleased with that article.
I'd be happy to do four of what you are doing a month! :-)
Brad