Saturday, April 25, 2009

April 25, 2009

I still don’t have newsletter capabilities. Many of you are writing me wondering what is wrong. I wish that I could get ahold of all 650+ of you and let you know the scoop. That’s the problem... I can’t email you. I’m still working on solving this and should have some sort of solution by tomorrow night.

Today was a surprise! It was nice.


“Red Gates” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I’ve found a favorite painting road, another one, near by. Barns, yard ornaments and sheds all right next to the side of the road. It feels like you’re in the farmyard when you’re standing on the road painting. Today I noticed ‘red gates’ everywhere I looked. They’ve always been there and I know about them. But today they attracted me as subject matter or adornments to the main subject. Funny how that works, that you suddenly notice things that have always been around.



“Treeline Pasture” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Just a simple but beautiful piece of grazing land full of cows and sandhill cranes calling in the background. Farmers put together fence gates, place buildings and leave equipment around in ways that are incredibly beautiful arrangements that assume an ‘Organic Construction and Placement Patina”... that’s my phrase. You couldn’t purposefully place and weather a farmyard with such design if you tried. It’s just the by-product of a busy life, and it’s beautiful.



“Tape Fence” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
This is a farm that’s on one of my main routes of travel between Taylors Falls and Center City, about 8 miles. Until a major crash of the injury variety, on rollerblades late last summer, I rollerskied this road nearly every day. The title refers to the electric tape fence that surrounds the pasture.



“Home Up There” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Kids of swings, 4th of July picnics, dogs barking... it reminds me of a place where those would be the norm, year in and year out. Very calming to see it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of the best yet!

You could turn this experience into a best selling book. :-)

Eugene.

Mick Carney said...

More lovely pieces. You bring the area alive,

Susan Parsons said...

Your Paintings make me want to visit this beautiful area.

Brad M said...

It's funny, the last painting reminds me of the isolated Kansas farmhouse from Capote's "In Cold Blood".
Nice painting though :-)

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Eugene... you should be a marketing person! Are you?

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks again Mick. I'm finding it more alive than I thought before this project. Everyone who's property I perch myself alongside has been extremely nice and interested in what I'm doing. It's been great.

Marc R. Hanson said...

That's nice Susan. It is a beautiful area. Thanks.

Marc R. Hanson said...

That's funny Brad! That's probably what they're thinking of me in the black hoodie standing on the side of the road in the middle on nowhere.
Thanks though!

Marian Fortunati said...

They are all wonderful but my favorite is the one on the top. It's got more of that really cool brushwork I liked from your previous paintings.. Well they all do actually... but that one is still my favorite.

Gary Keimig said...

very nice painting. Looked through your blog and must say you have a great sense of place and handle it wonderfully in your paintings.