Sunday, April 26, 2009

April 26, 2009

A full day of rain made today a new challenge. I spent 3/4th’s of the painting time in the car, not an enjoyable way to work, but sometimes the only way to work. Painting one painting in the rain is, one thing. Painting all day in the rain, doesn’t make sense to me. I’d rather paint all day in the snow.


“St. Croix Falls D.Q.” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I was about to go get some flowers and fruit and make this an indoor painting day. Then I turned onto the main drag through St. Croix Falls, WI (across the river) and was immediately convinced to paint it.


“Green Shed” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I saw some pheasants in the ditch and stopped to watch them in a courtship display, two roosters and a hen making up the group. They did there thing, in... made new pheasants, and I stayed to paint.


“Red Boat Resting” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
This little 12 foot boat was all alone on the beach and caught my eye as a willing subject. Usually about half way into the painting, the owner shows up and takes the boat out. I thought that I’d be safe today because of the rain.


“Curve” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
The white surface of this canopy shelter lit up the hillside as I came to the curve in the road. Seemed like a good choice for the last one of the day.

14 comments:

Fábio Cembranelli said...

Hi Marc, everything is excellent, but the rainy painting atmosphere is stunning!

LSaeta said...

I am so enjoying your paintings everyday. Glad I am the proud owner of one ... I really like today's boat painting. You do very well painting from your car!

AnnG said...

Hi Marc,
Love the street scene with the DQ store! Great atmosphere.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Fabio. Lot's of the people who comment on the paintings both here and via private email, mention this. If it wasn't for the rain, I also prefer to paint on gray days. Color is enhanced as we know, making even subtle color more interesting.
Sun is good too though!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Leslie. The newsletter issue seems to have been resolved and they should continue tonight.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks AnnG. Not too many customers there, not any, yesterday.

Teresa said...

I also love the DQ street scene, and I've enjoyed watching this marathon - I'll hate to see it end, but I look forward to seeing the paintings in person ;O)

Frank Gardner said...

These rainy day ones are top notch.
You are unstoppable Marc.

Caio Fernandes said...

i like very much your style.direct and autentic.the kind of thing i always look for.
if one day you visit my blog i hope you enjoy it.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Teresa... Thank you. I'm going to miss it too. Of course I'm not stopping painting and have learned that I can work harder and will continue to. I will probably be taking giant size panels out, you know... 8x10 or 11x14 for a while. I still plan to use the newsletter to talk more about painting in a more relaxed way, not so rushed to get it in before almost midnight. It's 11:20pm now and that is about the normal time that I slow this down each and every night this month. That is working all day at this, nothing else, no naps or that good stuff. Solid from up to down work. Feels good really.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Frank. I don't know, I committed and (should probably be now) couldn't stop. There were times early on before I was acclimated and with a good system for doing everything involved with the project, that I was dragging. Now I could do seven or eight of these things a day if I had half way decent weather. The cold and wind simply wrecks your concentration, talking about this as an all day event, and makes it all harder. On the days, or day or two, when it was actually nice, it was easy. I'm going to write about all of this after I've had some time to think.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Caio... Thank you. I'll take a look soon. Marc

Solvay said...

Hey, I have been looking in but refraining from commenting.....but, I'm ever a fan, and ever checking in. Today, I can't stop myself from finally commenting on at least two.........I always look before I read, and I so loved the SCF DQ, and how I could HEAR the rain on the car roof just by looking at that wee gem! You are SO great at painting precipitation and air atmosphere - I can always feel the humidity or lack of it through your paintings - even through the computer monitor!!!!!! LOVE this one. The power/phone lines (whichever they are) and the DQ - so small-town, America. Thanks!!
Solveg

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank You Solveg. St.Croix Falls, a great small town. It's not bad living up here in this valley we all live in is it?