Thursday, April 30, 2009

April 30, 2009... The End... Thanks!

It’s over! I’m not happy about that. It’s been an incredible journey for me on several levels. The art of course, personal stamina and endurance (not to mention the organization question?), discovery of what is around me, a plethora of new subject matter that’s been here but that I haven’t taken stock of before this project. And finally to all of you who’ve emailed comments of support and encouragement, to those who’ve tried very hard to purchase one of these paintings, and of course to those of you who did purchase the paintings... My sincere and most humble ‘Thank You’.

There is a lot to write about all of this but I am going to take some time to let it all sink in and mature so that I can write my thoughts about the month with a little perspective.

A confession... Today I took the morning and went into the Minneapolis Institute of Arts to view the show “Noble Dreams and Simple Pleasures”, a show of American Masterworks from Minnesota Collections with Kami Polzin. She’s been hearing about the exhibit from her students and until then neither of us had. They all said that it was a great show, closing on Sunday and that it was a “must see”... and we hadn’t. That meant that I wouldn’t get home until this afternoon. So yesterday I painted a couple of extra paintings so that I’d have the four today, though two were painted yesterday. Well, it was worth it. The show had a number of paintings by Sargent, Tarbell, Inness, Chase, Glackens, Fournier, and many other important American painters.

My goal was met, other than I was not able to make up the days in the workshop. I made up three of those paintings, of the twelve. But, I managed to paint my rear off, I have no clothes left without paint on them, my car looks like it was painted by a maniac finger painter, Sargent the cat is so angry that I haven’t been around much that he’s stealing the avocados out of the cupboard and mauling them (crazy cat), there are flowers growing with the weeds from last year all around my house, my mother and my sons know that I’m alive... they just don’t know how or where, I get mail???... should open some, I have no good brushes left or paint, I used 2 gallons of Turpenoid, and I can’t stand the idea of not getting up tomorrow and heading out on another daily expedition.

I’m going to Santa Fe, but you know what I mean?

I thought hard about what to paint for the last paintings. What would be grand enough to end this month? Then I decided that the month started under a bridge with snow on the ground from the night before and an intimate scene of rocks and the snow. So I realized that the best finish to the month was to just do what I’d been doing each and every day so far. That is to go into my backyard ( Chisago County), keep my eyes open and paint what strikes me as magnificent and wonderful and is a sign of why it’s great to be alive again today!


“Little Shed” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I’m not sure why one little object stands out like this and makes me think it would be a good subject. However, that’s the kind of intuition as a painter that I try hard to listen to when it hits. My dad used to tell me that I had a different outlook as an artist. I wasn’t sure that was a good thing, but knowing him I knew that if he said that, it was probably a good thing. He had that kind of sense about most things and I tried to always listen and understand his ‘inner voice’ when he told me about it. My dad is the reason that I became an artist. He inspired me to love what I do.


“Stand” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
These trees, poplars?, are out in the middle of a field on an island of grass! It would be interesting to know ‘why’ they’re there. I’m glad they are, they’re interesting.


“Glorious Sky” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
This afternoon was wonderful to watch. Fronts coming and going gave us nice clear air with broken clouds and blue skies until later when it completely clouded over. I caught this farm, one that I’ve painted before but not during this project, in the shadows of clouds with just a sliver of sun glancing across the fields and road. Very, very cool light.


“Little Lake Ending” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Little Lake was unknown to me before all of this began. It’s one of the jewels of discovery that has been my pleasure to realize. I’ve been here several times, mostly at the end of a day, where I always found the winding down of the day an interesting and beautiful experience to behold standing on the edge of Little Lake. Today was no exception.

32 comments:

kimmer said...

Bravo Marc, bravo! A job incredibly well done.

Noel Darvie said...

Great job Marc. Your passion for painting is a true reflection of your work

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Kim! Whew!!! :-)

Jesse said...

Great work Marc! It's quite an accomplishment. Now how to top it? LOL, you should probably rest a little first.

"Stand" gave me the shivers! It's quite different then anything I've seen you do.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Noel... Thank you for that.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Jesse. No stopping now. At a certain stage in life, if you get a head of steam you just keep on letting it carry you on hoping that it doesn't run out. I'm still on full throttle.

Stand did that? Hmmmm??? I guess you're right. I don't know if I've ever painted those kind of trees before. They're animated and the color is great warm bluish yellow. Thanks.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

THE END!!!! I've only just started :) looks like my spare time is going to be looking through the other 28 posts. You would definately like my part of the world wonderful light and great colour especially the West Coast of Scotland. Do paint in oils but have to spread it out as I developed allergy but thanks for being impressed made my week :))

Erik said...

Marc, congratulations. Well done. You're a true artist in the quality of your work, the craftsmanship and the dedication.
I had a great time reading your experiences and looking at these paintings every day, first thing I did when I was out of bed was run to the laptop and check this blog.
I'm so happy that I had a chance to buy one of these paintings and it will be a constant source of inspiration for me in the future.

What a ride.
Thanks for taking us along with you.

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Congratulations, Marc! Many of your 5x7s look like they could easily by 12x16s or bigger. Almost like miniatures. You should be very proud of having painted all those pieces!

And enjoy Santa Fe!

Susan Parsons said...

I've looked forward to your posts every day and will miss them. I think you should do another marathon. How about a week in the spring, summer, fall and winter? I'd love to see how you handle the seasonal colors. It's been great inspiration and I have rounded up a group of artist friends to get out and paint together on Saturday mornings this summer.

Mark Bridges said...

I enjoyed the project. That's what "painters" do best, paint. Now we'll all press you to marathon it through each remaining season of this year. I mean, how hard could 4 marathons a year be? Now I'm thinking you just ran 30 marathons in 30 days. Nice accomplishment and many pats on the back.

Mick Carney said...

Just to leave my congratulations on having achieved your aim. Prodigious is the only word that comes close. As I said before there is much here to learn from and I am enjoying the process of study. Thankyou.

Miki Willa said...

I have really enjoyed seeing your beautiful paintings this month. Seeing your part of the world has been a wonderful experience each morning. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. Congratulations on achieving your goal.

Tim Schutz said...

Marc, It was a lot of fun to follow you on this journey. You produced some great work. Congratulations!

Brad M said...

Marc,
Amazing accomplishment. I'm exhausted just looking at them. You should get a well deserved rest.

Pattie Wall said...

Way to go Marc. You are to be commended on such a task! It has truly been a labor of love - every one of these paintings is so special in it's own way. Thanks for including us in your journey!

Takeyce Walter said...

Congrats on this huge accomplishment, Marc. I've enjoyed each painting! Thanks for sharing this challenge with us.

Cheers!

Daroo said...

An incredible sustained performance! Although it must've been grueling, your paintings look effortless and inspired. Also the real time aspect of this blog event was compelling -- Will he? or won't he? I have to agree with Kimmer -- Bravo.

Thanks for sharing your work and thanks for the panel prep tips. I'd worked on museum board & shellac before but it was often too slippery. The primer+pumice+1/2cut shellac = a triple lead primed fine linen without the cost, toxicity or 6 month dry time.

Keep up the great work,
--Dan

Eugene said...

Heh now you have no excuse for painting only one a day as it will seem a cinch!

Congrats on the achievement..now where can I buy the book?! ;-)

Eugene

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Marc! This has been an amazing trip...you should be well chuffed with yourself...all such beautiful pieces! I'm going to miss tuning in each morning but I'm so thrilled to have got one! I'll treasure it so you can rest assured it's going to a good home!..lol Take a well deserved break now....Thanks for sharing with us! Jane

Tracey Mardon said...

It was so great to get the feed every morning and read it with my coffee. It will be wonderful to hear the background stuff. Hope that's all the subject of your 2nd book.

Jeremy Elder said...

Congratulations! Thanks for taking all of us along for the journey. I can't wait to see what you have learned from this, both practically and artistically.

Julianne said...

Wow Marc, what a fabulous finish to an amazing month!
I look forward to reading your 'digested' musings :)

Fábio Cembranelli said...

Hi Marc, I feel redundant ...but I have to say : what a great painting journey, I was looking at your older posts again...Congratulations, you're an awesome artist.Thanks for sharing your painting project!

Jane Hunt said...

Congratulations! I really enjoyed following you on this journey - very inspiring:)

L.Holm said...

Congratulations! A remarkable feat from a remarkable painter. You rock!

Jo Castillo said...

Congratulations on a grand finish! The paintings are all unique and beautiful.

Gary Keimig said...

Great paintings. Congratulations on your quest.
Yep. Some real jewels. Be interesting to see what comes of the trip to Santa Fe.

Rusty Jones said...

Got to your blog by way of your website which I got to from Kate Starling's website which I went to at the suggestion of a painter friend, Jill Carver. Gotta tell you it was worth the trip. I have poured myself a nice glass of wine and I am going to sit here for the next hour and catch up on your blog. I have missed alot, but coming in at the end of your marathon will be great reading.

Kim VanDerhoek said...

Outstanding Marc! You met your goal and managed to produce so many stunning paintings along the way. It was an absolute pleasure viewing them and reading about your adventures.

Robin Weiss said...

Must add my congratulations and thanks for the best month long workshop on line!

Awsome paintings Marc!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Elizabeth... Might get there some day, would love to.

Erik... Thank you! Your comments and those of others have made the month a great journey for me. I'm honored that what I did last month had that kind of an effect on other artists and non artists alike. Pretty humbling.

Michael... I am proud of the accomplishment. You start out on something like this and you just never know what's around the corner. Thank you.

Susan... I'm thinking about what to do with this, what to do to follow this. How about 3 seasons? I just don't know if I could handle 30 or 31 days of below freezing temps for the winter session. :-0 Again, I'm happy that it meant a daily 'art' awakening for so many. I've heard from a lot of people who are doing what you're doing, getting themselves and groups of others out to paint now. That's great! Thanks.

Mark... Plenty hard! I have to learn to paint large all over again! We'll see about the follow up??? Thank you.

Mick... Thank you... and thank you!

Miki... Thank you.

Tim... Thanks.

Brad... Thank you for your encouraging conversations. As hard as I've tried to paint, my 'me' isn't letting me right now. I have a lot of other things to do, shipping and preparing for an upcoming workshop as well as catching up on yard and house work. All of that is good because the intensity of April has caused me to have to wind down. Good thing for all of the other things that I need to do.

Pattie... Thank you for your comments and for following the journey.

Takeyce... Thank you.

Dan... Thanks. I wonder if you've tried the board out yet? As I pack these things up for shipping, I am reminded of how much I like the paint quality of that surface. It's worth a try.

Eugene... Thanks. Well, I re shot all of the paintings very carefully for that purpose... maybe. Right now I need to get into the studio and do some large paintings, quick. So any book will have to wait. I have learned that all of these projects that take away from the easel can be beneficial in a monetary and PR way, but it's the paintings that are who I am and they don't paint themselves??? We'll see...

Jane... Thank you!!! I miss the paintings already. I don't usually feel that attached to them. I enforce a disassociation as they leave the studio. But this entire body of work is fun to look at. Breaking it all up is sad I have to say. The encouraging part is that nearly everyone who bought a painting seemed such a part of the project that I feel like they are still all together in spirit. I feel funny talking about them like this, but I do feel it. Thanks again Jane.

Tracey... Your picture of the morning ritual is nice. Thanks.

Jeremy... Me too!!! I imagine that will reveal itself in many little ways? Maybe not noticeable to even me in an obvious way. I do have to get back to work for that to happen though.
I have ideas galore, that's one practical manifestation of the benefits of the project. The negative is that i have to sort them out for use, they're all over my head. Thanks for the comments.

Hi Julianne... I'm still digesting. Thanks for saying hi. How are things?

Fabio'... Thank you so much for that. You're not redundant at all. I appreciate it.

Jane Hunt... Thank you for looking in on it.

Liz... I rock? I can't even sing! :) Thank you very much. I"ll work on the 'rocking'....

Jo... Thank you. Had some good chiles in Santa Fe. :)

Gary... Thanks. Santa Fe was a quick day and a half break. Great fun.

Rusty... That's a round about trip but I'm glad you found me. How was the wine? I hope the trip measured up. Thanks for looking in.

Kim... Thanks so much. I'm happy that so many have gained something from it. I've gained an immeasurable amount of support and am humbled by it all.

Robin... Thank you and I'm so glad that it has brought so many people into my view. None of this could happen with out these machines we all gripe about, me included.