Wednesday, April 29, 2009

April 29, 2009

I had a stand in today... just couldn’t take it anymore! (I kid.)

Today was a ‘no complaints’ day even though there were the occasional sprinkles, it was easy to deal with. Light winds, but warm and great atmosphere. If I ever do this again, I’m calling it ‘Marc’s July Weather Report and Marathon’. But you know what? If you do anything outside every single day, the weather counts. Did you notice the month above, July? That would be another change in plans.


“Sherbert Morning” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
The light this morning made me want some Rainbow Sherbert. It was that kind of color, light yellows, golds, oranges, pinks and greens, with the same clarity that that frozen delight has to it. It was warm enough to eat some too. Where’s the ice cream truck when you need it?


“Change Is Coming” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
After the Sherbert Morning, I turned around and it looked like the treat was melting! Steel gray skies in all directions meant that the rest of the day would be up for question. I loved the cool sky against this piece of native grassland and trees.



“Lonely Road” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
The skies kept looking more ominous as the day wore on today. Just looking up into this treeline with the one old farm building in it gave me a sense of being the only one within miles of anyone. There was no real noise other than Trumpeter swans, Sandhill cranes and geese flying around. Yet the color was soothing and nice.


“Life Aquatic” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I almost missed this little remnant of winter as I drove by it. I imagine it was all of about 10 or 12 feet across, yet it gave me the opportunity to watch those crazy little muskrats chasing each other around and doing the ‘muskrat love’ thing again. Maybe it’s spring fed, but it didn’t look more than ankle deep to me. I got rained on doing this one, the rain providing me with the second artist, the one that is supposed to tell you to stop before you ruin a painting. I probably would have gone to far if not for the rain.

13 comments:

Solvay said...

24 hours to May.
Congratulations, Mr. Hanson!
Santa Fe - a well-deserved glorious victory garland in time for you!
Solveg

Solvay said...

Oh - and, yes, that's exactly the essence of this morning. Lemon - I always loved the lemon (or, even better yet: pineapple) swaths in the rainbow sherbet! Yum. ...and then the ominous, saturated sky that rolled over it all like a bully spoiling a kindergardner's lunch-dessert.
: )
S

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Just found your blog and think your work is a joy to behold :)

Sara Koller said...

Just so you know, Marc! Those of us at Wild Wings that have been watching this progress are all for the July version because we want summer and fall renditions of this beautiful experience you have shared with us! Thanks! You did a fabulous job!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Solveg. I"m thinking a garland of red NM chiles!

It was a great morning and as you say, I had the playground to myself until the skies changed things.

Brad M said...

Your penultimate day and the quality of the work has not diminished. I like the last "rushed" piece.
So after today, what will you do with all your free time when you're only painting one a day :-D

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Elizabeth. I took a quick peek at your blog and was impressed with your work. I would love to paint your part of the world. There is a lot of McFayden in my family line.
And in Acrylics yet!!! Very nice.

Marc R. Hanson said...

HI Sara!!! I'm getting self conscious now. ;-)
I agree completely with you and all of you. July would have been so much easier to do. Hmmm.....you've got me thinking.
Although appealing, almost any other month would be hard to work into this. There are other shows, workshops to teach and various events. April is such a quiet month that it seemed like the only one that would work. Even then I missed three days of painting because of a workshop, good workshop too, but it's been hard to try to make those three days up.
So despite the gray and brown and white and cold... April was the one.
I'm glad to hear that you are watching too. There have been SO many times when I've wanted to paint more birds because of all of the wildlife experiences that I've been having. Who knows? I might yet. :-)
Thanks Sara.

JFW said...

You continue to amaze me and inspire me. You could blow those little 6x8's up to 20x24 and they would still work perfectly. Such brushwork! It is incredible. I still refer to your method in your workshop to others. Thanks so much for this month of paintings.

Jala Pfaff said...

Oh that greenish yellow against the violet in the last painting!!!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Jala I'm glad that you mention that. A favorite color combination of mine for those kind of grays is alizarin crimson, viridian and a little yellow of some sort, depending on need. The water on the lake was turbulent, cool yet with a warm reflection of the filtered sun in the sky. Really an inspiring scene to me.

Gwen Bell said...

I like all of these, but my favorite is "Sherbert Morning". The yellow clouds are so beautiful!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Gwen. That was one of my favorite mornings of the month. :)