Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April 22, 2009

Today was... peaceful. I got a slow start today. First order of business was to mail my accepted painting to the OPA National Exhibition to be held at Sage Creek Gallery in Santa Fe, NM. A little change in plans about that too. I’ve been invited to give a public painting demonstration for the OPA conference on Saturday, May 2, along with four other painters. More on that in a few days when the official announcement is made by OPA.

I know I’ve posted this info before, but I keep getting questions about it. If you are not getting the Newsletter your email program might be rejecting it as Spam from time to time. If that happens, go into my website and “re-subscribe” again. I don’t have the time to do it for you. It happens often so check your email security and see if you can set it to allow my Newsletter to come through without being bumped. I’m not doing it, it’s your computers.

Also, people are still asking how to buy these paintings. Go to my website and to the Paintings page, then to the April Painting Marathon page. Open the images there to larger than thumbnails and they will have a PayPal buy now button... IF they are for sale. If not, then they’ve sold. The paintings are not for sale on my blog. Thanks.



“Freshly Plowed” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
As in... the farmer and tractor were getting closer to me the longer that I painted! This is my favorite white house from a totally new station point. I might find myself in their yard one of these days.



“CJ’s Bar and Grill” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I’ve never been in here, really, but I’ve driven past it a million times. This is sunny Palmdale, MN. The only thing in Palmdale is CJ’s, other than many farms and homes in the surrounding area. I don’t know what the geographic boundaries of Palmdale are, but if it’s all the country that I daily travel through and paint, it is beautiful. I have not seen any palms however.



“On The Balsam” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
This is one of my favorite places to be. I feel like I’m in a remote northern place away from all the noise and hustle of most other places no matter how small. This is a little get away. It was a mill between 1902 and 1944. The Kennedy Mill, as I’ve mentioned before during this project. Who ever was here early on either planted or didn’t cut down some extremely large, beautiful white pine trees with the branches that speak of ages of enduring. If I had my choice in trees to surround my life they would be... White Pine, Balsam Fir, Eastern hemlock and American Chestnut. A piece of land full of those four main species of trees and I’d feel like I was in heaven.



“Balsam End’ oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
The end of a beautiful day in a beautiful place.

11 comments:

Brad M said...

I especially like the drawing skills you show on the "CJ" painting.
It looks like you had a beautiful day to paint. The funny thing is I like the paintings from the previous "miserable" day a little better.
Maybe it's the inherent drama in that kind of weather. Reminiscent of the 19th Century Romantics.

Jesse said...

Another great set.
I like the way you do architecture. Just the right note between simplification and detail.

Anonymous said...

I dont know why but I'm one of the people not getting all your daily mail outs...I get most(including todays) but I'm missing the 14th, 15th, 21st, 22nd...no reason why the rest have come through and they havent. Weird.


Anyhoo...

The blue looks so vivid in "CJ's Bar and Grill"...the light in all of them is spectacular.

More reMARCable paintings. ;-)

Eugene.

Brad M said...

Marc,
I have a request, because your days are not busy enough :-)
Perhaps on one of your posts you could do a work in progress. This could be just a pic of your initial block in and then an intermediate one somewhere in the middle of the painting session. And of course, the final piece.

Just a thought. But I'm sure I speak for others that we would love seeing it. You know, with all that free time you have these days.:-D

Brad

Marian Fortunati said...

Love these pieces....
Maybe sometime you can explain how you get the brushy look for the top of those leafless trees without painting lots of branches which would look ridiculous.
.....or not.
Thanks for sharing.

Marc R. Hanson said...

I hear you Brad. There are many who prefer the paintings painted on the gray days out there, that's what I'm hearing too.
Thanks.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Jesse. I appreciate that comment because it's always a struggle to know how much, how tight to paint architecture. I have an innate familiarity with Nature and I know how I want it to look on my canvas. Not so with architecture. I'm beginning to have a better feel for it, but it's not what I normally paint so it's a real learning experience.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Eugene I don't know why that is. ON the 21st there was a glitch with the web host's newsletter service provider, but that's it. Still, many people received that one too. I wish I knew the answer.

Thanks again.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Brad... Maybe when this is over. I'm still trying, not successfully, to get to the makeup paintings! There's not enough sunlight in the day.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Marian it's all either layering thinly painted areas, sky into branches...branches into sky, or an almost dry brush technique.
The area here is so small on a 5x7 that it's a little unlike larger paintings. I'm using a fast dry alkyd white that sets up quickly enough so that within the painting time, I'm able to come back to the sky towards the end of the painting and lightly (feather touch... another reason for not liking wind) brush on those textural elements.

Solvay said...

C.J.'s Bar and Grill - this is the 3rd one I couldn't resist.......finally..................anyway, the isolation atmosphere - not a humidity/barometric pressure atmosphere, this time, but a human atmosphere - abandonment, lostness - - - even if only due to the time of day - - - it comes through like crazy. I love this little painting with a blue heart.
And, how do you make these miniatures seem so expansive???
Dang, you're good.
I still recall every spot I drive by that you've painted - did I write that correctly??? - I'll try again: when I drive past places I know you've painted, your paintings of them still come to mind, and those places become more than what they would be as passing landscapes on my way to someplace intentional - they become the intentional, they become more 3-D than they are as the scenery "projected" on my car window. You give the passing landscape a voice and a temperature and a soul. Thank you. Solveg