Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Weekend Workshop!

I've just finished three days with a group of wonderful people who love to paint. How much better can it be than that? Weather... perfect.
Green... Everywhere.
We shoved a lot into three days, Value, Technique and the Art Spirit. Wow it's good to be an artist!

I'm posting three of the demos I did for the class. The first day we worked in black and white, the second day was a day of full color and my demo to show them a standard method for beginning and painting a field painting, or any painting for that matter. The second demo is a pastel because we had a number of pastelists in the workshop. That was followed by an oil painting demonstrating a more 'direct' method of painting.


"Carriage House" oil 8x10 © Marc R. Hanson '09
I have to say that this is some of the first painting that I've done since my April adventures. I've been busy with many other things, but not painting. So this little 8x10 looked like a 30x40 to me. The demo was to show the students a 'standard' block in beginning with some line, some transparent full color washes and then a building up of the painting to the finish. Yes the house is too centered. A good technique when things are stable and there is ample time to work it out.


" Rock Hoppers" pastel 11x14 © Marc R. Hanson '09
On Sunday afternoon, following the 'memory' exercise painting session for the students, I painted two demos within about a 2 hour period. This one was first. The rocks under the bridge between St. Croix Falls and Taylors Falls. About the time I was done the people showed up (in both painting sessions) and were an eye opener to us all. The scale of the rocks suddenly became obvious to us, and surprised us. I'm going to leave these as they are, no studio work.


"Rocks And Bathers" oil 9x12 © Marc R. Hanson '09
This was the second demo, direct painting. That is starting with an obvious part of the painting, finishing it and moving on to another obvious area painting in a way that is finished as you go. This is a technique that is good when time is limited, the light is fleeting or when you don't have too much time to sit and ponder things at all. I had exactly one hour, they timed me... to finish this one because we needed to get back to my house for a closing discussion.

12 comments:

René PleinAir. said...

?

Mark Bridges said...

??

Marc R. Hanson said...

!!!

William R. Moore said...

???

Kami Polzin said...

Huh?????

Kami Polzin said...

Okay, now seriously. :) These are some very impressive pieces. I love love love the Carriage house! SO fresh! A 3 day workshop and 3 plus paintings, pretty good I'd say!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Kami! ;-) As you know, it was a perfect weather weekend. What a treat. Those students hold the instructor to a standard that doesn't allow anything less... ya know... as they should. Thanks for checking in on me. :-)
Marc

Kim VanDerhoek said...

Normally a centered composition like Carriage House wouldn't work but you broke up the white walls with the tree making this much more visually interesting. I think it's successful and beautiful.

And your next two are breathtaking! Seriously, I'm drooling over your results. I can't believe you did the last one in only an hour. Wow!

Mark Bridges said...

theses are great, you even put the tannins in the water.

René PleinAir. said...

Hey it has grown out to a real posting!! And what a posting it has become! Nice Marc it's always a treat to see your paintings and even more to read how they came to that.

Thanks!

donthacker said...

Marc, thank you again for hosting a great workshop. I was glad to see you posted the demo paintings. It was awesome to watch you create them. You are an amazing artist.

Solvay said...

That pastel one (WHY do I always forget to look at the titles before I come to the comment page???) - that electric spring green, and the brilliant fresh light coming through the trees...such an inspiring image - thank you!

And, those people giving the scale to the rocks in the lower painting - love that! The magnitude of rocks and water, and the teeniness of humanity....love that!

And, the featheriness of the foliage in the "centered carriage house" [ : ) ] painting - so delicate and soft: spring! Pretty. Very happy and pretty!

Thank you, as always. I have a whole gallery of paintings of your that I carry with me in my mind's eye. I see so many of them every day. What a gift! One of these days I'll be able to buy one. I have two spaces on my wall waiting for one of yours and one of Frank's! : )

Solveg