Saturday, June 6, 2009

Letting go! Twice....


"Skynrd" 24x32 oil on linen © Marc R. Hanson 09
That title really was awful! This might not be much better but it's not so 'blaghhhhh!'


"Jazz" 20x30 oil on linen © Marc R. Hanson 09

Here's an exercise in doing something completely different than I normally do, just to give me perspective. In case you're wondering, I have a reason to do this besides that 'it's fun'. It's an incredible release for me. I am also trying to develop more of a heavier use of paint on my 'normal' work and this is an exercise in doing that. If I can apply 3/8" of paint on these and fill a canvas of this size in a half hour, I know that I can bring that quality to my other work that will only help. I'm always experimenting with technique, purpose, materials, pushing for something further. These are probably a step towards something else...?

#1
I walked into the studio today and said to myself "Marc, do something completely emotional, something that is not preconceived, something that lets your brain shut off and the intuitive side kick in." So I turned on some adrenaline pumping music from Lynrd Skynrd, one of my all time favorites, turned it up too, and let the sound of their music push my instinctive reactions to the music around on the linen. The song that I ended up repeating was 'Simple Man' one of my favorites of theirs. I was moving so fast that I lost track of what I was even doing. This was the most creatively exhilarating experience that I've had as a painter in a LONG time. I still have a huge smile on my face from the experience. IT was well worth using up a lot of odd paint that I don't normally use without any feeling that I'm doing something wrong or not good enough.

At the end of the half hour session I was sweating and basically took a deep breath and let out a 'WHEW!". The painting is a 24x32 inch stretched canvas painted in 30 minutes.

#2
Okay... now I'm having way too much fun! This one is a 20x30 inspired by Miles Davis's 'Kind of Blue' classic work. I like to listen to that era of jazz while working anyway so this was a great one to allow myself to become absorbed by. Seems that there is no end to those compositions, they move through aural space seemingly with no end in sight. Amorphous comes to mind. Again, painted in about a half an hour of pure energy.

23 comments:

Jill Berry said...

...S.W.E.E.T...

Ben Bauer said...

Lots of movement in that first one, WOW!

B

Linda Shantz said...

Really love the first one, it's brilliant!

Marian Fortunati said...

WOW... Really different....

I'll be VERY curious to know if that results in a thicker style of painting in your more realistic work...
Curious personally because my post of this afternoon is titled "thicker" with that same end in mind but it had never occured for me to do anything like this.
AND I like them both!!!

N. Hyde said...

Wonderful! I love the new paintings! And we are sympatico on the benefits of intuitive painting -- whether one dips their toes in it from time to time or, like me, does it almost all the time.

...and it's a heckuvalota fun. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, this looks like fun. I like the first one, too. Must be the bright colors. I'm inspired to try thicker as well!

Solvay said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I gotta go back and look at that again, but WOW needed to be expressed, first.

: )

Solvay said...

ok.
cool!
can't wait to see what's next!!!

(a new kind of 30-minute workout and emotional therapy, it seems.........perhaps you could market that......a sort of bikram yoga/power workout/quick-fix therapy painting workshop?)
ha ha ha
(I actually think you'd get a LOT of participants..........)


But, I am excited to see what's next!!! (I immediately went to your other blog to see if you'd posted even way-outer stuff over there.......)

: )
S

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Jill. F.U.N.

Marc R. Hanson said...

I was moving too Ben! Best time I've had for quite awhile. Big smile....:)

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Linda. The color in that one was really strong. The movement kind of scares me... a little agitated to me!? Guess that's how I felt with that good old southern rock playing.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Marian... Yep. Well, I don't really know what to expect from this!? I'm just going to let it happen, whatever it is. This is too pure a form of "mark making" to put any requirements on it. It needs to be allowed to 'just be' until it emerges somewhere else. Speaking solely for myself here.
Thanks.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank Nicole!!! YOU are right on that one! A blast.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Jo. You can't believe how thick the paint is, or I can't. It doesn't show in the photos. At one point I had paint loaded on a palette knife and sort of hurled it in a controlled sweep and the entire load of paint, about an ounce or so, left the knife and I heard a "whaap!" when it hit the stretched linen. Very, very cool.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Solvay. I just decided to put them up where I spend the most time. The imagination paintings are actually more subdued than these. These are more 'reaction' paintings, no imagery "imagined" at all.
So much fun. Like stream of consciousness writing... sort of.

Jane Hunt said...

Sounds like a great, freeing experience - I'll have to try that! I like how these came out too!

Solvay said...

Reaction paintings. Imagination/imagery paintings.
Fascinating!!!
I've come back to look at these several times, today - each time they look SO different than the previous times. Also fascinating.
I like!
(It was a sorta cozy day, today, wasn't it. Nice to have days like today out of season, I think.)

adebanji said...

The first one is AMAZING!!!

Justin Holdren said...

Great brushwork, and so Vibrant!
I have had the urge to just "play" with colors and shapes without a rendered image in mind. I did just that the other night, and it was so fun. These look like you had fun!

Julianne said...

Haha, what great fun~! Different music, different moods. Which creates which, I wonder? ;)

Cesc Ginesta said...

Right now I have seen these four works of Marc ... are exceptional, of an artist who has come to dominate technique, color and vision .....

Congratulations, sincere congratulations!

Cesc

Beth said...

I have to say, this is the first day I have seen your work, and I will be back as often as possible!! I have wanted to do this very thing (paint without thinking...) and now I am just gonna do it!! So funny you were listening to Lynard Skynard, because I take care of a dog named Lenny (after Lenny of Lenny and Squiggy) and I started calling him lynard Skynard the other day. Too funny. Your work is breathtaking and inspirational, thank you.

Solvay said...

I keep thinking about these paintings - letting-go exercises. I know you paint to music all the time, but you don't usually write about it like you did with these. The specific comments about the music remind me of that original idea that got lost in the WPF fray this year - and which got so confused along the way. I never did grasp what happened, there. Oh well. Some things remain mysteries forever, I guess. Anyway, these paintings could be one type of example. Kami's lilypad painting post-Jorja-recital is another type of example....this was what I had in mind. Anyway, it's a moot point, but I wanted to come back here, now that the festival is far behind us, and make that observation. I really wish that had come together somehow for this year - the loose-end remnant of it, the lecture with Roger, was nice, but nothing even close to what I had hoped for. Oh well. I still really like the energy and movement in these paintings, even if they are just exercises. They seem like massive one-pointed magnifications of the energy and movement that's present in the essence of your main works - shows why they are so alive and vital. As always: love your work. Enduringly so. I just played a few of the pieces that your paintings from a year ago spring and early summer opened up for me. Those pieces will forever bring to mind specific paintings of yours. Thank you.