Monday, July 13, 2009

More Telluride Plein Air Fest Paintings


'Mountain Cabin' oil 8x10 © Marc R. Hanson '09
One of the first things that caught my eye was this little cabin. It reminded me of a little Swiss chateau.


'High On High' oil 8x10 © Marc R. Hanson '09
This is up on Lizard Head Pass a high elevation pass outside of Telluride. I met Jill Carver on this same road painting too that day. It was a four wheel drive road, no doubt.


'Jeep Trail' oil 11x14 © Marc R. Hanson '09
Tried to settle down on this one but was feeling the effects of too much heat and altitude. By the time this one was finished, so was I.


'Stars' oil 10x8 © Marc R. Hanson '09
The star is the sign for 'Stars' a garment store on the main drag through town. I found it an interesting juxtaposition of the Stars and Stripes, and the large star.


'Waste Management' oil 10x8 © Marc R. Hanson '09
This was my 'Quick Draw' painting.


'Prairie Dog Town' oil 8x10 © Marc R. Hanson '09
A situation where you set up to paint one light effect, it totally disappears so you paint whatever is there. I set up with the entire village lit up, that's the courthouse steeple in the distance, background in shadow. That changed to this situation with the sliver of light that shadowed the prairie dog village. There is an extremely healthy dog town in the valley so I painted them in in silhouette.


'Valley Shade' oil 10x8 © Marc R. Hanson '09
A 20-25 minute painting at the most. A few artists lined up along a road out of town to paint this scene one evening. The shadows moved so fast that it was hard to keep pace but the color just got better and better.


'Time To Go!' oil 10x8 © Marc R. Hanson '09
One of the nice things in the mountains is that you can stand many miles away from on high and watch as these storms approach without feeling like you should be in the basement. If I saw this in Minnesota, I'd be in the basement already! This was a nasty, large electrical storm that was beautiful to watch... from a distance. It did eventually hit me but I was already almost packed and in the truck.


'Road To Mountain Village' oil 6x8 © Marc R. Hanson '09
One day I did 5 paintings, some little studies like these. And the Quick Draw... and Time To Go!


'First View-Valley Floor' oil 6x8 © Marc R. Hanson '09


'Bear Creek Morning' oil 6x8 © Marc R. Hanson '09
First of the five of that day.

18 comments:

Stacey Peterson said...

Thanks for posting all of these Marc - they're beautiful!! Telluride is my favorite Colorado mountain town, hands down - we try to visit there at least once a year to just drink up the scenery. You really captured the feel of the place in a short amount of time. Hope the plein air show was a lot of fun - it seems like a great group of painters.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Stacy. Lucky you!!! I absolutely fell in love with the entire area, stunning, beautiful, paintable.
We really only had about 3-1/2 to 4 days to actually paint so it was a rush of a trip. The paintout itself was a Blast! Lot's of fun, new friends, just a great time all around.
There was some very, very good painting being done my a lot of painters. Fun and an education to see it all.

Marc R. Hanson said...

That's Stac'e'y.... sorry about that. A Mar'c' should be more careful! ;-)

Jeremy Elder said...

Exceptional stuff - what a productive trip.

Christopher O'Handley said...

Really like the feeling of space in "Jeep Trail" and the unusual cropping/composition of "Prairie Dog Town". Can relate to "Time to Go" we've had very changeable/stormy weather lately and have tried painting developing storms...those skies change so fast.

Looks like a really productive week and a great place to paint. Slightly different from Minnesota but looks like you adjusted pretty quickly.

mike rooney studios said...

i think your four or was it five a day goal for thirty days a few months ago got prepared you well.
super nice. loose and edited down.

Karen Hargett said...

Oh how I enjoy your paintings - these are great. What percentage of your paintings are done in oil vs pastel?

Marc R. Hanson said...

Jeremy-Thank you. I guess it was but I'll tell you that I felt like I didn't do all of the painting that I wanted to. The altitude and sun did a little bit of a number on me for a couple of days. Production was slow at best until I became acclimated. There's also that required time to try to 'understand' a new area. Can't just be dropped out of a plane onto a new piece of land and instantly have the sense of what the place is, it's sights, sounds, palette, smell... all of the things that go into a painting.
That said, in the end I am happy that I accomplished about three per day on average.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Chris. Yep, different from MN! Glad you like Jeep Trail. That was a spot where I wished that I'd had about a 4' wide canvas. Great open space and that road just wandering off into the distance... Good stuff.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Mike. I am editing more....??? Not thinking about that, it's just happening.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Karen-Thanks. Lately more oil by a long shot. To take pastels and all of the accompanying mats, frames, glass, cleaner, and the need to protect them while in the middle of the sort of vagabond life of the paint outs just doesn't appeal to me. The watercolorists have some of the same issues, and you can frame without mats. But I noticed that they use picture quality plexi and I have not had success with that on pastels due to the static problem.
So oils it is for now. In general I'd say it's 80% oils.

LSaeta said...

Marc,
These are wonderful. I wish I could have been there to see the great master (you) at work! I really think the colors you use in you paintings are amazing. Of course all of them are great but your quick draw is amazing!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Leslie... Aw, shucks!!! :) Thanks.
I'm glad that you like the alley. That was my first quick draw. About half way thru I thought, "Nothing to this, I'm ahead of schedule!". Next time I checked the time I about keeled over. I had about 6 minutes left and hadn't even painted final paint on the lower 1/4th of the painting!!! I made it but by a hair of my bristle brush!

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Marc, how wonderful. I love your plein air, there is so much for me to learn. I love the fact that you can complete a painting in such a short time. Your work is excellent.

Kevin Menck said...

The "transparency" in that American flag with that star behind it is awesome. I would have seen it and walked on. Never would have even tried it.

Solvay said...

For once, I wrote down the titles before writing my comment.....
I love Time to Go! - wow, does that charged atmosphere ever come through (didnt' read what you wrote til after looking, but didn't NEED your words about it, because you captured the atmosphere, as always, on the canvas). Wow!
Love the on-fire mountains in Valley Shade - so dramatic - so expressive. ...that takes-my-breath-away feeling came over me when I saw it scroll onto my screen!
1st View-Valley Floor..........man - that expanse of wide, high, low, far...........wonderful how you got that feeling through on canvas!
Maybe you're a mountain man at heart?
Jeep Trail - those massive shadows on the even more massive mountains...the vast distance of those mountains from the rugged road you're on......got lost in Montana once - the painting brings that memory right up front.
High on High - yep. High on High. Perfect title, Marc!!! I can smell the air! Perfect title!
Prairie Dog Town - and Waste Management. Love those too. Love them all.
So wonderful!!!
Thanks, as always. What a sight for tired eyes your paintings are.
Thanks, Marc.

Solvay said...

Oh - totally forgot to mention that I really like the brush strokes in both the mountains and the foreground field in Prairie Dog Town.

And, that streak of gold - some grain, I assume - in the foreground.

.....gives the town nestled down there a real mystery and draw and personality.

jerijo said...

Just surfing the web for inspiration and I found it! Your paintings are beautiful.