Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mid September Peas


"Mid September Peas" oil on linen/bd, 11x14, © Marc R. Hanson '09
I worked on a large piece this morning, a 24x36 and had an interruption that for some reason did a number on me for the rest of the day. I've discussed it on Facebook, am past that and want to move forward. Suffice it to say that I needed to get out, way out (that means north of Taylors Falls a few miles, where I would be left alone and I could paint. I did that and painted this scene of a tree line with a foreground of soybeans, sometimes called "peas" depending on where you live, just to release a little 'tension'. It did the trick followed by a good evening workout. Now I feel like I can breath.

This weekend I'll be in Zumbrota, MN teaching a workshop through Crossing at Carnegie. We have a full class, should have good weather and I'm looking forward to it all.

Thanks for looking in.

13 comments:

Don Coker said...

Marc, sorry your day was so trying. It seems you overcame it though and had a successful session. This piece is beautiful!

Jo Castillo said...

This is just wonderful. Sorry about your day. A great way to relax and rejuvenate, though.

Eugene said...

This seems to have softer brushwork than usual...I'm surprised it doesnt have any stabbing brush marks on it from the sound of your morning. :-)

Trust all is well now.

susan hong-sammons said...

Dear Mark, I so love having your blog to look at not just because your art is amazing and unique but it takes me back to the landscapes of where I grew up.
Sorry about the bad experience whatever that may have been. I guess as plein air painters we could write a book on the subject. A couple weeks ago, a few ya-hoos shoot a gun. If they were trying to intimdate me, they successed.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Don. Yeah, that's over. Somedays are like that...

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Jo. I appreciate it. :)

Marc R. Hanson said...

Eugene... no that would have been therautic! Maybe my psyche was trying the other approach?
Thanks.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you so much Susan. I love that it can do that for you! Yes, everyone has these experiences from time to time. However, yours sounds really dangerous. I was dealing with personality, not a weapon!!! Yikes. That had to really shake you up?
May your days be full of nicer people and better paintings. :)

Christopher O'Handley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christopher O'Handley said...

There may be no "stabbing" brushmarks, but you definitely pushed the contrast in this one (and it really makes the field glow). Maybe that's how your angst came out. BTW, I like how that little red house on the right is almost completely engulfed by darkness...didn't even notice until I looked at the large version.

Enjoy the workshop! I'm doing my one outdoor art fair of the year this Sunday, weather looks great here too.

Donna T said...

There's certainly no sign of tension in this painting Marc. I didn't know they were called peas in some areas. They're beans here in MD and just starting to turn golden. Finally, something other than green!

Kevin Menck said...

Next time you need to get away from it come to Tennessee. I can get you so far away from it you might not get back. By the way I just saw an add for Coleman Fine Art that had "Norton's Old Ford Shed" in it. Killer' painting.

Anita Stoll said...

Nothing like painting for me to take me away from "that incident" whatever it may be. My painting is my therapy, my mood altinator, my restore to sanity (ha if there is such a thing for me). Love your work. I'm new to blogging and will be checking in when I can.