Friday, October 2, 2009

Sky and more sky.

One of these was painted in the studio last week during a rain day, the other outside yesterday immersed in another rain day followed by some finish on it today.

Even simply starting the larger paintings outside is so much better than not being outside at all to paint them. The piece 'Hovering' is one of those exceptions. A quick pull over along the highway to capture on pixels a fleeting few moments that are then recalled in the studio is necessary too. Truthfully, I have more fun being frustrated on site than making an acceptable painting inside from any sort of reference. Good thing it's my world or someone would tell me that I'm not allowed to have fun doing this and make me come back inside!!!



'Impending Change' oil, 14x18 © Marc R. Hanson '09
This was painted about 75% on site yesterday before the rain was so bad that I was afraid that it would ruin the board this is on, not to mention that my paintbox was acting as a water reservoir. I'm getting more and more interested in how brushstrokes can be used to depict the 'point' that you want to make. I don't mean a similar brush movement all throughout, ie, little swirling strokes no matter if you're painting grass or hard metal, but strokes that indicate movement up, down, sideways, diagonally, and strokes that indicate texture. Anyway, I was thinking of the 25kt winds that were gusting while painting this one.


'Hovering' oil, 11x14 © Marc R. Hanson '09
Like I said, I saw this on my way to teach a workshop a week and a half ago in Zumbrota, MN. As you drive south of where I live now towards Rochester, the landscape flattens out into rolling hills that don't seem like hills. It opens up the sky view, you can see huge distances, like being in the prairie regions of the country. There wasn't a cloud near me except for this one very large 'blimp-like' cloud that was blocking out the rising sun. I'm probably going to explore this more and end up doing a very large painting based on it. Don't know if the color will be the same, this was an idea study of that concept.
(And yes, the telephone poles in windy country do bend eventually as are the trees shaped into 'wind vanes' by prevailing winds. Plus the poles warp... the less interesting explanation.)

21 comments:

Eugene said...

I love your skys.

*sigh*

I wish I had the money to fly to the USA and stalk...erm, visit you for some lessons. :-)

Vicki Sergent said...

I love the "Hovering" painting!

Steve said...

Impending Change: The color, mood and values all combine to add the romance required to make the outbuildings and treeline something personal from memory grounded in a midwest experience. It looks like my uncle's horse farm from the west, and that farm on the the side of hwy 12 coming back from the Redlin Museum or just south of town, by the Schmidt place where I took piano lesson as a kid.

Hovering: The color at the Horizon is captivating. I see a smoldering engergy just waiting to be unleashed across the countryside.

Nice paintings Marc. I am glad I stopped by this morning to take a look.

Jala Pfaff said...

Tremendous paintings!

Tim said...

Nice! Great sense of light in the second one. Do you use Tit or lead/cremnitz white for pleine air?

As you could guess the Sorolla show was abolutley amazing. It was also sold out, and me and my buddy Nate from Florence Acad were lucky as hell to get tickets. It was sold out for the entire last week, and friends from America who had made the trip, well they just didn't get in! No photos, as the guards where like hawks, but I posted up a bunch on my blog from his studio and house, I think you'll get a kick out of them.

Kim VanDerHoek said...

*wow*

Both of these are so amazing! The atmosphere and depth you capture are just spot on especially colorwise (something I'm working on constantly).

And I have to mention that I love to see telephone poles in landscapes. To me they add personality with their unique angles. I've noticed the poles along city streets are rarely straight too.

Artpencil Radisch said...

wonderful artworks!

Anonymous said...

You are so talented. Your landscapes are so evocative, for me so emotional. You have a gift for portraying more than realism in your landscapes-not something fantastical, but something simultaneously approachable and not. I would love to see your work in person. Not everyone will do what you do, but so many of us are deluded or ambitious enough to aspire to.

Francisco J. Hernández said...

your paintings are the ones I needed to inspire to me.. Congratulations !!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Eugene.

Hi Vicki. Thank you.

Steve, how are ya? Glad you stopped by also. You caught that energy along the horizon. :) Thank you.

Thank you Jala!

Tim- I'm using Titanium outside always, sometimes lead inside depending on wants. I went to your blog to see the photos...droooling. Had to be an experience never to forget. Thanks for posting them all. Thanks.

Thanks Kim. Well the foremost pole is going to need to be removed as it's stopping the movement of the cloud. Looks like a blimp, but I didn't want it 'tethered' to the ground ;-) Not sure that I will try to scrape it out or paint over because I would probably ruin the surface of the painting to such a degree that it wouldn't make sense. But if I do a larger version that tele pole won't be there in front, for sure.

Thank you Artpencil!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Anonymous... That is so kind of you to write. Thank you so much, truly.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Francisco... You made my day, thanks.

Ben Bauer said...

big blimpin' Love that cloud!!!!!!!!

B

Eugene Veszely said...

Noooo Marc dont touch that pole!! Paint a new picture if you have to but leave this one alone.

I'd gladly take it off your hands if you arent happy with it. ;-)

*can someone take it away from Marc before he ruins it* :-)

Double "D" said...

Marc, I really admire your work. These are both very well done and just fun to look at. Thanks

Mike Barr said...

Masterful!
I love your control of green in your other works..one of the few artists that can do it well.
cheers Mike

Jala Pfaff said...

The trees' movement looks so right. I can feel it.

Rusty Jones said...

The most exciting piece of work I've seen in weeks. Great Job Marc.

B Boylan said...

Marc, I really admire your work...it is incredible!
Never knew that poles would bend over time, but I'm from the west coast and the trees on the coast do shape after years of torment.

Solvay said...

fb is nice, but the blog is better. sorry i've been absent. LOVE this painting. i, like Eugene, love your skies. and, ditto what anonymous wrote.
: )
one anonymous to another.
S

Solvay said...

oops - i love BOTH these paintings, is what i meant to say.