Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Piece of My Mind!!!


The view of Marc's burn pile... That linen won't get me again!!!

I'm sharing this with you because this is a demo... and this is part of the process...

Right now I'm sitting here contemplating a drastic move with this painting. I'll explain.

First a warning... DO NOT buy Frederix RIX oil primed linen! That is unless you want a nightmare on your hands.

I already know this, but I have almost 5 yds of this junk and thought that maybe I could make it work. It's one of those linens that was the 'best', when it was primed with lead. I don't know what it's primed with now specifically (some sort of titanium/oil primer), but it's not lead and it SUCKS.

The block in (lot's of opaque and transparent darks) that I painted on it yesterday has not dried, but it looks like a piece of board painted with flat black spray paint! Yet the paint isn't even close to dry or even setting up. This stuff sucks the oil right out of the paint.

~I can take my finger and wipe the pigment, pigment only mind you, right off of the surface!!!! ARRRRGGH!!! ~

Since 1988, I've used about 5 six yard rolls of it, when it was still primed with lead, and... except for the cost $$$$$$... loved it. It has one of the most beautiful weaves of any linen I've tried, and it's strong.

Because of the expense, I hadn't purchased it for a number of years. I finally broke down and purchased a roll last year, painted two paintings with it and thought that it was really difficult to see the paint on. The color kept sinking or changing on me. But I thought that I could 'out paint it' just by brute force and make the negative side of it a non factor, so that's what I stretched up for this egret painting.

Not so!

So... Now I'm faced with fighting this crap for the rest of this egret painting, or chucking it before it drives me nuts, and re-stretching something else to save my sanity... and this painting.

I think I'll go work out at the gym and think about it.

So how's your morning??? ;-)

16 comments:

Marc R. Hanson said...

About to leave...

It could be that I have a bad roll??? But how do you know unless you try it, then it can't be returned.

Martha Faires said...

Thanks for the warning. I'm hoping that Frederix will see your post and answer the question--and maybe give you a refund.

And, thanks, as always for the inspiration and beauty of your work. You make me press on.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

I know this won't solve your immediate problem, but can't you buy the linen unprimed and then prime it yourself though I doubt that anything has lead in it these days.
For once I can honestly say I'm having a problem free day....should'a asked last week :)

L.Holm said...

Yikes! Thanks for the warning. Can you re-prime it? sound like a pain in the tookie.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Okay... worked out, feel in control! :-)

Yes, I should have called ASW back about it. But, it's not that there's anything 'wrong', it's just a lousy product. Since they ( Frederix ) stopped using lead primer, as has Claessens (yep, used many, many yards of that also), it's anybody's guess from one roll to the next what it's going to behave like.

I frequently reprime purchased linen that has a titanium/zinc priming and should have on the one.

The process of sizing and priming raw linen is pretty involved and one that I've done a lot of in the past and may revert to. There is a curing time for the lead and you also need to store it in racks in an environment that is fairly free of airborne matter, like cat hair! My friend Kami is painting on a lead primed linen that I prepared for her and I think that she'd agree, I should make a lot more of those. It's an amazing surface to paint on.

Thanks for your comments.

Christopher O'Handley said...

Sorry to hear this Marc - good luck. This should go out as a general caution to anyone using Fredrix primed canvases (or other makers apparently) - they recently changed from lead to some type of alkyd/oil priming. Some of you may remember a discussion about this on wetcanvas a couple of years ago. I might be in a fix because I got used to using their scarlet o'hara which was also lead primed. Haven't tried the new primer yet...though they sent me a sample - one 8x10 panel, hardly enough to really test. But of course they claimed it would be "even better than the old surface".

By the way, which lead primer do you use to re-prime your canvases?

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Chris. I use Studio Products Lead Primer.
Or, thanks to Stapleton Kearns blog, have tried and love using Sherwin Williams Pro grade Alkyd Oil Interior primer. Same ingredients as the other oil primers, but a better surface IMO.

rahina q.h. said...

great post: informative and funny:) r.

Eugene Veszely said...

G'Day Marc

If you are that frustrated and are feeling like you are fighting with the materials, as much as I hate to say it, I'd start over.

Next time you could pre-prepare a bunch of canvases by giving it a rub of oil a few weeks before hand(called oiling out) so they dont suck the life out of the paint.

Kesavan Potti said...

Italian art store sells lead primed canvas.

http://italianartstore.bizland.com/store/

Solvay said...

love the retitle on this painting.
: )

Jala Pfaff said...

Thanks, Marc.
I myself love oil-primed linen to paint on. I generally use Yarka because it's the least expensive, but still works nicely for me (I paint large abstracts mostly).

Jala Pfaff said...

P.S. The Yarka I use is not lead-primed, though it is oil-primed. Well, I don't THINK it's lead.
How do you deal with safety issues when you do your own lead-priming? Just gloves, or...?
Thanks.

Jala Pfaff said...

P.P.S. An environment without cat hair floating around...that wouldn't be MY studio, unfortunately.

Marc R. Hanson said...

There are a lot of places that lead primed can be purchased, some mentioned here. Another is New York Central Art Supply. They'll prime any linen they sell in the way you want.

BUT... you'll pay. Artfix linen says '1xlead'... then the description goes on to say that it's not lead, it's a substitute! I don't get that one. Might be a good surface, it's just misleading.

I use a lot of Yarka, or did, and like it. It is alkyd primed. Probably titanium and oil from all that I've been able to learn.

Unfortunately, while there are some rolls of it still around the country in art supply stores, most don't have it anymore because it's NO LONGER being imported if even manufactured. Richeson is the importer and they can't get it to import. I've seen the Fine and Rough for sale, but the Extra Fine is gone. I've searched for the Extra Fine, as have other painters I've taked to, high and low and there isn't a roll to be had most likely.
I found one small roll of it but it's acrylic primed.

Jala Pfaff said...

I know!! I too spent a long time looking for and calling around for the Extra Fine, before very sadly giving up. Damn. I really liked that product. I have part of a roll left...