Sunday, March 28, 2010

'Labor Day'... An oil and the pastel field study.


'Labor Day' 20x24, oil on linen © Marc R. Hanson '10
This is a studio piece painted from the pastel field study that is pictured below. The original study was my only reference for this and as a study has been in the studio since last September. I couldn't let go of something in the pastel that I knew I wanted to paint eventually. But I just couldn't realize that vision until just recently. The pastel has a quality that I wanted to achieve in the oil painting... color and texture that moves back and forth between the forms, color that floats over the forms, and a more neutral color quality that I find sophisticated, and wanted to keep.

In the study I loosely indicated the pots of geraniums that were set out for the Labor Day celebration. They, and some little indications of a few grave markers, kept drawing me back into the idea. I decided that what I wanted was a large park like setting with the lead in to the middle distance where I would indicate the cemetery and a few of the figures. That seemed like a peaceful and was not an 'in your face' painting of a graveyard. I think this way I was able to capture the peaceful nature of people honoring their passed relatives and still keep it a pleasant scene. Sometimes painting cemeteries can be a little macabre just because of the nature of the subject.


'Labor Day' pastel, 9x10.5 © Marc R. Hanson '10

And a couple of closer views of the middle distance and the figures.


7 comments:

Honor Martinez said...

This is absolutely beautiful. You achieved the sense of beauty, peace and eternity.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hello Honor... Thank you.

billspaintingmn said...

A wonderful piece of art!

Jala Pfaff said...

Both very beautiful, evocative and sensitive.

Anonymous said...

You definitely achieved the look of pastel because I thought it was pastel before I read anything. As usual, great work.

Jesus Estevez said...

I love the work you did on the yellow tree, very good painting

Eugene Veszely said...

Lovely atmosphere in both.

I thought they were flowers in the background. I would have completely missed that it was a painting of a cemetery if you hadn't told me.