Saturday, March 6, 2010

'March Evening'


'March Evening' oil, 12x16 © Marc R. Hanson '10
Ran out tonight for what should have been a magnificent reddish sundown on the snow. But... of course Mother Nature had other plans. A cloud bank ran interference in the last minutes of the game and cut my intended light off despite my pleading. I'm working up a 30x40 of a scene from this same location, but from last week when we had a full moon. I wanted to get that last minute light to the east. This will be a big help regardless. I spent about an hour on this one. IF the light had come, I would have been altering color at lightning speed for another 15 minutes I imagine.

12 comments:

rahina q.h. said...

it's lovely. i am surprised at how fast you completed it.

Bruce said...

I am surprised that you can paint in such cold....our daffodils have been up for a month and I am still wimping out at plein air. (France)

Sven said...

Well done! Love the subtle color shift at the horizon.

Ben Bauer said...

Was a beautiful afternoon. Nice painting Marc.


Ben

Perry Brown said...

Man, you nailed this light, Marc. Another beauty.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Rahina... Thank you. Well, it's mostly sky you know. And I was working with diligent speed assuming that as the sun lowered I was going to have to paint like a crazy man to catch the last minute color. I was in the groove.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Know what Bruce? Relative (the important qualification) to the alternative temps of our earlier winter season... it was like a gentle spring evening. I almost wanted to get out the BBQ, hot dogs and lawn chair.
Thanks for your comments.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Sven.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Ben... yep... thanks. More on the way. :)

Marc R. Hanson said...

... nice evenings that is!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Perry! It's inspiring right now.

Jesus Estevez said...

I love this painting, great job, congratulations