Monday, March 15, 2010

'Snow Moon'... February 27, 2010


'Snow Moon' - oil on linen, 30x40 © Marc R. Hanson '10

This is a painting that I painted last week after a photo taken on February 27th of this year, a 99% moon, and a study painted on site last Saturday March 6th. I painted the study knowing that I was going to do the larger piece, and that it would be of a different sky. On March 6th there wasn't a full moon but the study gave me information about the scene that was needed, and that the photo did not provide. In this larger version I wanted a larger open sense of space than what I painted on the location study.

Some close ups...







This has been posted earlier today too, but for reference here it is again...


'March Evening' - oil, 12x16

11 comments:

Jesus Estevez said...

what a nice painting, seems you had a good time painting it.congratulations

Chad said...

Just wonderful! Beautiful color and that open sense of a crisp winter sunset.

greg said...

I like it a lot, particularly the white pines along the bluff. So evocative.

rahina q.h. said...

beautifully executed! you have done it justice in the handling of the light. r.

frankeber said...

Nice, atmospheric work! well done

Caroline said...

Beautiful tranquil scene. The colours are really lovely and I love the warm light.

d'Morais said...

Not a photo? But it seems. It's a beautiful painting with colors very well chosen. The sky gives a feeling of great freedom. It is morning or late afternoon? To me I smell the fresh morning. Very nice.

Donna T said...

Beautiful painting, Marc! I find it very interesting to compare the plein air study with the studio painting. To me, there's a lot more mood in the larger painting, but maybe that's just the effect of the moon!

Steve Gibson said...

Every time I come to your site I'm impressed! What a vision to see it and capture it like you did.

billspaintingmn said...

Minnesota crisp! I can feel the cold on my face from these.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Jesus...

Hi Chad... Thanks.

Greg we have so much beauty up here... Thanks.

Thank you Rahina.

Thanks Frank.

I appreciate it Caroline.

d'Morais... Well it's evening, the moon is rising in the east. Thank you.

Donna... Well yes, that's true. When I painted the study it was only to get the actual feeling of the space on linen. The reference for the larger oil was a photo that I just happened to take on the way to an engagement. No time to paint it.

Thank you Steve... that's very nice.

Thanks Bill...:)