Wednesday, April 21, 2010

April 2009 Painting Marathon Redux

April 21, 2009

Today’s theme is.... WIND!!! Gusts today pushing 35mph and sustained winds around 20 or so made the theme for the day a no brainer. I think that they were higher than that. I had laid my plastic lure box with about 15 large oil paint tubes in it on the gravel and the wind blew it about 2 feet across it. That’s a wind.

First, this eagle nest is just outside of town. Today the male was patrolling the grounds around the nest and seemed to be out intercepting a wandering Sandhill Crane. I took a lot of photos of this, one of the many marvels of nature that I encounter every day.






“Flailing Flags, Dancing Leaves” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
This is a playful painting. My attempt at painting my impression of what it was like to watch the US flag and the Minnesota state flag almost being whipped to shreds before my very eyes. They were whipping in ways that even a shutter speed of 2000 or more would have had a hard time stopping the action of.



“Shelter From The Wind” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Even the big old spruce were moving to the beat today! It’s obvious that farms are planned to be in a sheltered position from the prevailing winds. Or at least as time passes, the plantings are made to make that a reality. This one probably had a pretty calm center yard area with chickens busily enjoying the nice sunshine of the day. Meanwhile I was grappling with an easel that wanted to take off into the wild blue yonder!



“Wind Shear” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I wandered into the Interstate Park, Wisconsin side, after lunch to see if it was calmer in there. Was a little. I found this edge of grasses on the water’s edge and decided to focus in on it.



“Virga” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Virga is rain falling from clouds that never reaches the ground. I was in the middle of a potential torrential rainfall but because the wind and dry air near the earth’s surface caused any falling moisture to evaporate before hitting ‘me’, all I had to do was hold onto the side of my truck, easel and hat and paint like a mad man! No Problem!!!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

These paintings are terrific. I especially like the windy flags. I'm enjoying seeing this "redux"...thanks!

Philadelphia medical malpractice lawyer said...

You've done a great job with your theme of the day. The wind comes through full force in these paintings.

Leah Waichulis said...

Great work as usual. I love the flags painting. I can really feel the wind in that one.

Marian Fortunati said...

Love them all, but my favorite is Wind Shear...

Wonderful!!!

It's amazingly windy here in SoCal today too.... AND COLD... (for us) It was spring but now it's winter again, I think.