Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 2009 Painting Marathon Redux

April 27, 2009

Today dawned as a cold, gray, windy one. That lasted for at least half of the day but towards the end, the winds calmed down and the sun gave a little bit of warmth to my bones. I’ve had the greatest wildlife experiences this month. I’ve seen almost everything with fur or feathers performing a courtship display, eagles on the nest now with eaglets, muskrat ‘love’ (their little whistling/squeaking chase around the pond), and today a fox family, mom and about 4 or 5 kits chasing each other around an old hay barn. If this wasn’t Minnesota, I’d swear I’m in South Dakota for all of the pheasants I’ve seen. Very, very cool.


“A Minnesota Farm” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
This is so typical that it wins the title! Right off of the road for my pleasure. I met a little beagle while painting this, don’t know his name, but he sure liked my easel and truck.


“Old Hangar” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Lot’s of farmers used to have an airplane on the farm. That was when an airplane could be purchased for a few thousand dollars. Not anymore. The pasture in front of this was probably an airstrip at one time for a Cub or small Cessna. If it was my land and hangar, it’d have one in it still, I hope.


“Black Willow” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I think that this is actually a black willow, but would need to get the tree book out to be sure. The title refers to how dark it was against all of that grass and cool gray background. I was going to call it Blue Wing Teal because two pair of them were in the little stream doing their own courtship ritual of bobbing heads and little two or three note whistles followed by the males bashing wings and beaks with each other.


“Tranquil Little Lake” oil 5x7 Marc R. Hanson 2009
Sometimes at the end of my day, following a bout with the weather gods, it’s nice to paint something that is calming. This is one of those places, Little Lake. I’ve done a couple of this place and will probably do more in the years to come.

6 comments:

Susan McCullough said...

All wonderful paintings- I love the barn painting- living on a farm I happen to be partial to barns. Just a question, was it difficult when you decided to take on doing 4 paintings a day?

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Susan. Deciding was easy due to ignorance! Execution was a different story.

Not only did I paint the four per day, I wrote about it on this blog, in a newsletter and website, photographed them and edited and then posted it all each day.

When the sales started to happen, there was bookwork every night, before getting up the next day to start it all over again.

I didn't know what I was getting into in the beginning. Fortunately my schedule for the month was nearly empty or I would not have been able to complete 116 paintings. One three day workshop stopped me, but I made up all but four of the twelve missed paintings.

D.E.West :: Contemporary Realism said...

Absolutely love the barn painting! Love the color.

Michael Pieczonka said...

wow Marc, great paintings. That top one of the barn and silon absolutely fantastic!!

Jala Pfaff said...

Oo, very nice. I love the hangar one and the last one too with the purplish clouds.

René PleinAir. said...

Aaah I know that first one! ;-P
I enjoy the postings a lot Marc, nice to see them all back.