Wednesday, April 28, 2010

April 2009 Painting Marathon Redux

April 28, 2009

Bright blue skies, temps in the low 60’s... a good day. I’m really late tonight so am going to get right to the paintings.
I had some good news last weekend. The Oil Painters of America have asked me to do a demonstration painting on Saturday, May 2 in Santa Fe for the National Conference and Exhibit. The painters demonstrating are Me, Kevin Macpherson, Calvin Liang, John Michael Carter, Kenneth Cadwallader, and George Gallo. So I will be heading to Santa Fe on Friday for the weekend. A nice end to April’s Marathon.



“Backyard Boys” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
You’ve got your Bobcat, your John Deere combine, and your Dump Truck. If you’ve got all of that, where are you going to park it? In the backyard of course. There were enough parked vehicles on this property to give me about 50 painting options, at least.


“Cobalt Blue” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Every once in awhile you run across buildings with these blue shingles. I love them but wonder who it was that decided that cobalt blue shingles would be all the rage? As I was painting the owner of this farm ( who I did not know was the owner ) and another close by stopped and asked me why I was painting this barn. I said because it was “beautiful”! She then told me that it was her barn and we had a very nice talk about the history and property. I love to meet the land owners while painting. They’re always very appreciative of what I’m doing. There was a lot of stacked up wood in the pasture, which I had thought was old wood from barns or houses. She told me that was exactly what is is and it’s going to be sold in a sale over Memorial Day weekend. Sure would make some gorgeous furniture, interior trim or something like that. I’m sure that some of it is over a 100 yrs old, maybe even 150 yrs+. Lot’s of buildings around here.



“Milk Barn” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Another unique barn. The styles around here are endless. I love the doors on this one, barely still on the track. The light was smashing right into the face of this barn and is what caught my eye. Love that barn!



“Last Light” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Boy oh boy... I almost missed #4 tonight. I was meandering around the country side after painting Milk Barn and drove for quite a while before finally realizing I had better just stop and paint or it would be too late. This was a view off of the road near Taylors Falls and was painted in about 25 minutes just as the light did it’s ‘thing’ for me. Any earlier and it wasn’t interesting to me to paint. But when the color lit up, it was time.

8 comments:

Kathy Vetsch said...

Where in Santa Fe will you be demoing for OPA?

Jason Prigge said...

i wanted to let you know that you have inspired me to get out in the field more this spring. I am not doing four a day, just two a day. I am finding it rewarding setting out with a goal everyday. It has also challenged me to work at a faster pace which is giving my brush the confidence it needed. Thank for sharing and enjoy flinging that pigment! I know I will!

Nettie Kennedy said...

I look at the World in a different way now, after following your paintings for a while....EVERYTHING is a potential painting...opened up a new world for me. Nettie Kennedy

Marc R. Hanson said...

Kathy this is a repost of my project from April 2009. I demo'ed last year for the OPA National Convention.

I wondered if that would cause confusion... but thought it was obvious by now that this was all last years posting just reposted. Sorry for any confusion.

Thank you Jason. Even one a day is good, two doubly good. So doubly good for you!!! Keep those brushes moving.

Thank you Nettie. If that is something that you received from this, then I was more than successful in my efforts and am grateful that it has lead to these kind of comments from you all about what you are finding in your own work. That is very cool.

Double "D" said...

Just amazing Marc. You continue to turn out masterpiece after masterpiece. Really like you style.

Marian Fortunati said...

Cobalt Blue ... WOW!!

Jala Pfaff said...

Love this last one and its saturated colors. Also love the Milk Barn, that bright off-white.

AK said...

You are absolutely right. The light was just right when you finished 'Last Light'. But the way you have captured that light is even more amazing.