Friday, April 30, 2010

April 2009 Painting Marathon Redux

April 30, 2009

It’s over! I’m not happy about that. It’s been an incredible journey for me on several levels. The art of course, personal stamina and endurance (not to mention the organization question?), discovery of what is around me, a plethora of new subject matter that’s been here but that I haven’t taken stock of before this project. And finally to all of you who’ve emailed comments of support and encouragement, to those who’ve tried very hard to purchase one of these paintings, and of course to those of you who did purchase the paintings... My sincere and most humble ‘Thank You’.

There is a lot to write about all of this but I am going to take some time to let it all sink in and mature so that I can write my thoughts about the month with a little perspective.

A confession... Today I took the morning and went into the Minneapolis Institute of Arts to view the show “Noble Dreams and Simple Pleasures”, a show of American Masterworks from Minnesota Collections with Kami Polzin. She’s been hearing about the exhibit from her students and until then neither of us had. They all said that it was a great show, closing on Sunday and that it was a “must see”... and we hadn’t. That meant that I wouldn’t get home until this afternoon. So yesterday I painted a couple of extra paintings so that I’d have the four today, though two were painted yesterday. Well, it was worth it. The show had a number of paintings by Sargent, Tarbell, Inness, Chase, Glackens, Fournier, and many other important American painters.

My goal was met, other than I was not able to make up the days in the workshop. I made up three of those paintings, of the twelve. But, I managed to paint my rear off, I have no clothes left without paint on them, my car looks like it was painted by a maniac finger painter, Sargent the cat is so angry that I haven’t been around much that he’s stealing the avocados out of the cupboard and mauling them (crazy cat), there are flowers growing with the weeds from last year all around my house, my mother and my sons know that I’m alive... they just don’t know how or where, I get mail???... should open some, I have no good brushes left or paint, I used 2 gallons of Turpenoid, and I can’t stand the idea of not getting up tomorrow and heading out on another daily expedition.

I’m going to Santa Fe, but you know what I mean?

I thought hard about what to paint for the last paintings. What would be grand enough to end this month? Then I decided that the month started under a bridge with snow on the ground from the night before and an intimate scene of rocks and the snow. So I realized that the best finish to the month was to just do what I’d been doing each and every day so far. That is to go into my backyard ( Chisago County), keep my eyes open and paint what strikes me as magnificent and wonderful and is a sign of why it’s great to be alive again today!


“Little Shed” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I’m not sure why one little object stands out like this and makes me think it would be a good subject. However, that’s the kind of intuition as a painter that I try hard to listen to when it hits. My dad used to tell me that I had a different outlook as an artist. I wasn’t sure that was a good thing, but knowing him I knew that if he said that, it was probably a good thing. He had that kind of sense about most things and I tried to always listen and understand his ‘inner voice’ when he told me about it. My dad is the reason that I became an artist. He inspired me to love what I do.


“Stand” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
These trees, poplars?, are out in the middle of a field on an island of grass! It would be interesting to know ‘why’ they’re there. I’m glad they are, they’re interesting.


“Glorious Sky” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
This afternoon was wonderful to watch. Fronts coming and going gave us nice clear air with broken clouds and blue skies until later when it completely clouded over. I caught this farm, one that I’ve painted before but not during this project, in the shadows of clouds with just a sliver of sun glancing across the fields and road. Very, very cool light.


“Little Lake Ending” oil 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Little Lake was unknown to me before all of this began. It’s one of the jewels of discovery that has been my pleasure to realize. I’ve been here several times, mostly at the end of a day, where I always found the winding down of the day an interesting and beautiful experience to behold standing on the edge of Little Lake. Today was no exception.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Congratulations - what an accomplishment. I've enjoyed following and don't know how you were able to pull it off. Your work is excellent and I really enjoy your colour palette. I think "Stand" is my favourite of the bunch. Sophisticated, subtle colours, a graceful gesture in the trees...all-together lovely.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Kim... Thank you. Since painting that little piece, 'Stand', I've thought about making it a larger piece. It's been a year and those kind of things take time to find nourishment and come out of me. Since reposting these many of them have caught my attention again so I'll see what happens.
Thanks for checking in.

Marian Fortunati said...

What a wonderful project... maybe for you but certainly for all of your viewers.

I always learn from your paintings AND I always enjoy them. My favorite of this group is "Stand".

CandynRA said...

Very nice work Marc...I like "Stand", but I also like the "Little Barn". Congrats on your accomplishment, too!

Jala Pfaff said...

Love the first and last ones on this post...
Really cracked me up reading your "summary" of the toll it took. :)