Tuesday, August 31, 2010

September 2010 Nocturne Painting Marathon!





Instead of the four paintings a day that I painted for the April Painting Marathon, I'm launching a Nocturne Painting Marathon during which I will be painting 2 nocturnes a night. I know... four paintings a day for 30 days... is a "real" marathon! I'm already feeling like a "lessor" version of myself! Still, two paintings a night, every night in addition to all of the other work I'll be doing ( a lot of September to November deadlines ahead of me), the beginning of the hunting season, a wedding to attend, a two day workshop to teach, and a few other assorted obligations (including the ones that you don't plan on that pop up)... all are sure to challenge my efforts.

"Why would I want to do this?" I have been asked? Because I like painting, a lot, and since the 2009 April Painting Marathon I have been asked a lot if I am going to do it again. I'm not one to want to repeat exactly something like that, a once in a lifetime experience. I don't even know if I could repeat that. But I did enjoy it immensely and have been thinking about what I might do next. I thought about one 30x40 a day for a month (just kidding).

I like painting nocturnes and find a certain expressive freedom in them that comes with the same sort of adrenaline rush that you can get from doing something like eating a wild mushroom for the first time... or putting an airplane into a spin or emergency maneuver for the first time. It's a rush!!!

The subjects are diverse, from natural moonlight to city/industrial to residential lit up scenes. Painting at least 60 of them in the next 30 days means I'll be looking for a lot of variety in the subjects I choose to paint. That is exciting all by itself.

I'LL POST EACH NIGHT'S PAINTINGS THE FOLLOWING MORNING IN MOST CASES. They'll probably also go onto my website, but this is where I'll write about them and what went on. People have asked if they're going to be for sale and the answer is 'YES'.

( I knew there would be things to add...) The paintings are all oil on canvas board and are 5"x7" or 7"x5". For the techies out there, These are Panelli Telati boards, canvas on hardboard, that I over prime with an oil/alkyd type primer. The one I used is no longer available so I would recommend trying an oil primer by Gamblin, Winsor and Newton, Utrecht, Studio Products, Williamsburg, etc.. I've used those too and would find them all good for what I'm doing with these panels.

Auction Info...

1) Below each painting will be a link that says "Click Here to Bid.". This will take you to the 'eBay' page where the paintings are listed for sale via the eBay auction system.

2) Each painting will be put up on a 1 (one) Day Auction for bids. Following the 1(one) Day Auction, they will come off of the market and will not be for sale.

3) The starting price of each painting is $150.00 and includes shipping and insurance to the USA, Canada and Europe. MN residents will be charged MN State Sales Tax. Payments accepted via PayPal.

4) If you purchase a painting it will need time to dry, be varnished and packaged. Following that and cleared payment, the paintings will be shipped promptly. I estimate that it will take approximately 3 weeks following the day the painting is painted for it to be ready to be packed and shipped.

5) I cannot "hold one for" you... "save a special day"... All of the paintings will be put up for a fair sale via the eBay Auction system and will be sold as per that.

Thank you... If I think of anything else I'll add to this post. Oh... This is going to be fun. :-)

14 comments:

Rodrica said...

Congratulations on challenging yourself. It's what makes the world go 'round. I look forward to seeing each day's results. Best Wishes.

Jesus Estevez said...

This one is a real beauty, congratulation.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Rodrica and Jesus. Thank goodness I don't think that I'll be having to deal with snow in September... but then who knows?

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, this will be so exciting. This one is nice, already. Good luck.

Susan Hogan Girard said...

This resource is wonderful as are your paintings. Hope to join the painting group for a Sat in October all the way from the coast of California!! Susan Hogan Girard

Susan McCullough said...

Great idea Marc- can't wait to see them all!

Erik said...

Looking forward to the results Marc and I think it's a fair and smart idea to put them on Ebay this time. Be sure to get some sleep too now and then?

Caroline said...

Beautiful wee painting Marc. Interesting to read about why you are taking on the Marathon. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the paintings each day.

Sri Debi said...

What time does it get dark in your area now???

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you everyone! Should be fun.

Susan I hope that we are meeting by then. I"m gone for a lot of October as I mentioned, and there is so much going on here then that who knows if anyone will be able to paint.

Debra... 7:48 actual sunset - 8:18 civil twilight
I could have a couple done and be home by 10!

Liz said...

I love this painting! I can feel the chill in the air and hear the snow squeaking under my boots as I imagine walking down the road!

Nancy Laliberte said...

How exciting! Your posts will be like Christmas morning for the next 30 days!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Liz. We'll be there again soon!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Nancy. I'm just glad that these aren't being painted at that time of year. I painted the first two tonight and it was sooooo nice and warm. Hope it stays that way.