Sunday, September 12, 2010

September 12, 2010

After a couple of days fighting off some sort of annoyance, and many, many well wishes... I want to thank you for that!!! It's a pretty nice thing, this digital community we have going.

I was ready to go tonight after being stuck inside for two days. We had a beautiful day and the end of it's run did not disappoint. There was a richness to the light that comes at this time of the year that we look forward to as painters.

Tonight I painted three paintings, one before sunset, and two following that, on the Stillwater waterfront. There was a lot of activity, tourists, bikers, music, fishing, walkers, you name it, people were out enjoying the great day. I'll post all three, just the two nocturnes will be up on the eBay auction.


'Long Shadows' oil- 8x10
This was about a 35-40 minute painting. I was at the waterfront a little too early for sunset, and as it turned out, barely there long enough to get the light which disappeared behind the surrounding hills very fast. But I got a sketch of the nature of the area, the bandstand being slammed by the warm light and the many little indications of the people milling about.


SOLD
9/12-1 P.D.Pappy's
This was one crowded, biker infested bar and grill tonight. Live music and a lot of fun lighting to tempt the nearest nocturne painter in sight. The road in front was loaded with Harley's, all just silhouettes, but with lot's of bouncing reflections.


SOLD
9/12-2 Crescent Moon
Finally! Some moon... I barely had time to paint it before it was back behind the hills. But it was good to see it again.

11 comments:

Daroo said...

Glad you are feeling better.

All three paintings are well done but Pappy's biker bar really has a specificity of time and place that makes it stand out for me. Also it happens during the gloaming, a magical time with its own inherent drama.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Daroo.

The first thing I do each morning when I wake up is photograph and edit these from the night before so that I can get them posted. Maybe not a good idea, or not before coffee at least.

Long Shadows is not that warm, that yellow. I may try to reshoot it later today.

The PD Pappy's is at that time that is fast becoming my favorite time to paint. Between actual sunset and civil twilight. It's interesting because I haven't explored that time very much in my work. Probably because painting any larger makes it hard to do, the paint has to go on so fast. Working smaller is the key.

I appreciate your comments.

Robin Roberts said...

Well done Marc. I can't seem to paint fast enough, even small, to catch the twilight you did in Long shadows. Can I ask if you do an underpainting when you do these or do you go straight at it?

Sonya Johnson said...

Marc,

I've enjoyed all these nocturnes you've been doing, and these are no exception.

The PD Pappy's painting really does capture the energy and drama present in that kind of bar - I can easily imagine being there (although maybe just staying outside ;) ) and experiencing the light, atmosphere and sounds. I can see why you like painting it!

Glad you're feeling better.

Ingrid said...

I think the colours of 'Long Shadows' are beautiful. I agree the others have an energy, but Long Shadows reminds me of when I sit here in my back garden in Scotland, waiting for the sun to set. There is a special quality about this time of day, and you have captured it in your painting.

René PleinAir. said...

Goed dat je erweer bent Marc!!

Stay fit.

Jo Castillo said...

Ahhhh, your paintings are great. Fun to "watch" you for your challenge. I like Pappy's, too.

mitzi rothman said...

These last three paintings are just wonderful. Great atmosphere, mood, light, value . . .

Kelley Sanford said...

Three strong paintings, Marc. I feel like I started at the waterfront, grabbed a beer at bar and headed to a park bench to enjoy the moonlight. Thanks for a nice evening. You told wonderful stories with each painting.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Robin. on the warmer paintings I'm underpainting with a sienna type of wash, the really warm paintings, like 'Long Shadows', was underpainted with Transparent Indian yellow and Alizarin Crimson.

The cooler paintings are toned with a mix of black, blue and red, a cooler neutral gray. I apply it and then wipe off and let it soak in or dry. I like the gray underneath, it really shows color as it's applied well.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks everyone. I'm having fun. If you have wondered how hard it is to 'have to' paint a couple or a few paintings a day, every day (or night), I can tell you that there is always something challenging that attempt.

A wedding, brief 'bug', and still another possible interruption in the next day or two... it's really, really hard to do.

That's why the April Marathon I did was so amazing to me, not the art, but that I made it all the way through the month without an interruption... well... one, a 3 day workshop I had planned ahead of time.

So this has not been a true 'marathon' in that sense of the word. I'm sticking to painting from life, which to me is the key to making this the difficult thing to do that it is.

I have no problem with this being done from photo reference, but for me that's not the hard part.

Dealing with the elements, life (if painting inside), the light available to paint... all of those things are what make a project like this feel about the same as strapping on the tennis shoes and running, swimming and biking to the max of your endurance.

Anyway... It's all good in that it pushes your thought, skill, endurance and discipline. I need it all. :)