Monday, September 13, 2010

September 13, 2010

Another gorgeous evening into night again! I'm really glad that the moon is making a presence again. The light it ads to the subject is so welcome. A friend mentioned that the northern lights should have been visible tonight, and maybe they will be later. I found this new crescent moon to be irresistible tonight. I drove over to Lindstrom tonight and painted on South Lindstrom Lake. Lindstrom is a very Swedish town as you might have guessed by the name. The sign across main street says "Valkommen till Lindstrom"... I don't know how to make the little dots over the 'o' or the 'a'.

The mosquitoes came out with a vengeance tonight. For the first painting I was almost inhaling mosquito spray there was so much in 'my' air. Did no good, they were swarming the face tonight! After the first one I scrambled out of there and came back to my house and caught the carriage house behind me with the crescent moon hovering over head.


SOLD
9/13-1 'Lake Lights'
As I mentioned, I'm really liking painting right at sunset. Especially on the lakes around here. The lake surfaces take on so much subtle color, grayed pinks, blues, violets, and greens. All very close in value and intensity and all darker and cooler than the sky. I was talking to someone about how I think that I'm going to spend more time working at this time of the day, right at the end. Only problem is that to do that you can't work large, or you can and just come back many times. To me it makes more sense to get comfortable working around 8x10 or 9x12 and limit it to that. These kind of studies make great reference, along with some digital images, back in the studio. Right now these 5x7's are plenty large to get that information down in time.


SOLD
9/13-2 'Crescent Over the Carriage House'
I drove home to try to paint the moon over the top of the hill behind my house. Problem was that it wasn't there, it was further east and over the carriage house, in between the trees. The light from my back porch added a second light source that functioned as a fill light to add a little dimension to the scene. So that's what I painted.

12 comments:

Kathy said...

Mark, both paintings are lovely, but my favorite is the top one. I just love how you do the skys. They are so warm and glowing. Where are you at? I have not heard of this place. Keep on painting. I love seeing your work!!

Jo Castillo said...

Very nice on both. I like the second as I like moons and blue. :) You are doing great!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Kathy... I'm in Minnesota about an hour north of Mpls/St Paul... Taylors Falls to be exact. Most of the paintings are from here, farthest painted was in Stillwater, 30 miles south.
Thanks for the comments.

Hi Jo... Yes, I like the moon too. It's so refreshing after having such dark skies for awhile. Thank you.

Marian Fortunati said...

These are gorgeous, Marc!!!

Jesus Estevez said...

both of them I like, keep going you are doing great

SKIZO said...

Thank you for sharing
This fabulous work with us
Good creations

Carol Horzempa said...

Marc, the first one glows...love your skies at sunset!

I keep going back to your second painting, maybe because I like moonlight nights. Love your work!

Caroline said...

I love them both they are very different to each other yet they have plenty of atmosphere.

Elaine Hurst said...

I love them both, but I REALLY love the second one in the moonlight!! They are lovely. I will have to look up the town you were in. Half of my family is Swedish, and I was brought up learning lots of Swedish things. My grandmother, who lived in St. Paul, immigrated to the US when she was about 18.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Here's the official Lindstrom, MN website. http://www.lindstrom.mn.org/

Another Swedish town near is Scandia, MN. Site of the first Swedish settlement in Minnesota. http://www.scandiamn.com/

... And I'm Norwegian so I'm being very generous here. ;-)

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks everyone. I'm thrilled that you're enjoying the nocturnes. I'm enjoying doing them.

Hind said...

I am in love with the second one, it is superb esp that it reflects a melancholic mood.. it's always great to see how paintings can be interpreted differently by viewrs.