Sunday, September 19, 2010

September 19, 2010

The moon tonight is at 91% of full! Tonight I could almost paint without auxiliary light!!! No kidding, it was so bright that I painted a lot of this one without the book light on. By the time this moon is full I'm sure that I won't need the book light. It was beautiful out tonight.


SOLD
9/19 'Calm and Quiet Night'
It was just perfect tonight. No wind, bright light, a dead end road with a farm at it's end. I sat on the tail gate of my truck for about an hour waiting for the light to the West to turn to dark. A skunk was poking around near my truck, that smell is unmistakeable, and as the light to the west faded, the light on my panel and palette became brighter and brighter. Almost bright enough to paint without the lights on. I used a palette of Viridian, Alizarin Crimson, Black, White and Yellow ochre for this one.

5 comments:

Leovi said...

Preciosa noche

greggart said...

I love the natural noctures Marc. City lights are nice but there is something about the natural beauty of night in nature.

billspaintingmn said...

Marc, your an inspiration! A minnesota night is good as it gets!
You captured the mood! Thanks for sharing.

Daroo said...

I like the stillness -- nice job.

I also like the limited palette -- is the black, ivory black?

To summarize your palette: it leans mostly cool with a cool red and the yellow grayed. Green, purple, and cool red are the most chromatically intense.

Given that, its amazing how warm your stars appear.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you.

Yes, the black is Ivory. Viridian, Alizarin, Ivory Black and a little yellow, usually Indian or yellow ochre.