Thursday, September 23, 2010

September 22, 2010

With the possibility of a very rainy couple of days I got right to it tonight. Three pieces resulted, two right after sunset as the incredible color of the more northern sky was intercepted by the storm from that was moving in from the SW. Some Great color to paint!!! PS... there are times when I wish these weren't so small.


Click Here to Bid.
9/22-1 'Raining To The South'
Wow... sunset is now 6:57, a half an hour earlier than just a week or so ago! I'm taking advantage of that. The sky is so amazing foiled against the darkened landscape, car lights and trees silhouetted in a deep, warm shroud of color. I love the contrasts that are happening in that period I keep mentioning, between Actual Sunset and Civil Twilight. This one, and the second of the night, were painted in a wide spot on County Rd 37 about two miles from my house.


NFS
9/22-2 'Scarlet'
I simply turned about 30ยบ left to paint this one. The slash of light was awe inspiring! This kind of color, in a painting and in life, has to be seen and be afforded time spent looking at it, to get the full impact. Such fun!!! Is this legal?


Click Here to Bid.
9/22-3 'Fast Food Alley'
From the 'sublime' to the 'ridiculous... but 'good to paint'! No moon means that the sky was dark once things settled into the night. I made my way up the hill above St Croix Falls to the parking lot of the Cinema and TSC (Tractor Supply Company) store. I did not need my light to paint up here tonight. That was nice for a change! So my target was Subway, the Mickey 'D' sign and the intersection of the road leading to the two. A real mix of warm and cool street light affected color, the little spots of white, tangerine, yellow, red, green and some other truly unworldly reds that I could only approximate in oils. And in case I got hungry, finished up at 10pm, I was right where I needed to be.

12 comments:

Ray Craighead said...

Great work, as always. Thanks for the inspiration!

Caroline Bray Art said...

Amazing light in 'Fast Food Alley'! Completely evocative of that kind of scene...great sunsets too, esp the first one. Why don't you say goodbye to small and enlarge the ones you like in the studio?

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Ray! What can I say other than I'm having a great time at this. We are a lucky bunch.

Caroline, thanks. Chances are that is what I'll do with some of these later. And really, some of these twilight effects would be hard to capture on anything much bigger. I will continue this size for the remainder of the project as that is the format for a number of reasons. I'm talking out loud about that because as I'm looking at all of this beauty, I'm wishing that I could capture in on a 6' canvas. ;)

Sonya Johnson said...

Great trio here, Marc. You continue to really capture the light and the fleeting moments of sunset to twilight in this series.

The urban scene has its appeal as well, simply because everyone can relate to it. It looks far more appealing and interesting rendered on canvas than in real life, that's for sure.

Bruce Newman said...

These are gorgeous, Marc!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Sonya and Bruce.

It's raining here, as much as 6.8" south of us! SE Minnesota is flooded in the area of Wabasha, Rochester, Owatonna and all along the SE border. What a mess and it's not over yet.

Not sure what I'll be painting tonight. It will have to be dry, it's too wet for a simple umbrella.

B Boylan said...

I've been a subscriber to your blog for some time now, but rarely, if ever, stepped out to comment. But tonight's post brings out the lookie loo in me! Man, you ARE GOOD! That first one is delicious! And the urban scene is really exciting! Can't figure out how you work so fast with the night coming on so quickly! I shall call you "Speedy Gonzales"!

Jesus Estevez said...

I am following you Mark, you have been doing a great job, keep going, the month isn't over yet.

Mike Neilson said...

Marc, these are incredible! Great color in the sunsets. Amazing you had time to do two of them since the light fades so fast. I'm really enjoyoing your nocturne series. Very exciting and inspiring.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Brenda I'll accept the title! Thank you. I don't know, they're small paintings and sometimes fast is the only way to capture those fleeting moments that are so rich and enticing to paint. Next week I'll have to start painting bigger again... I wonder what will happen then???

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Jesus!!! I'll be out there...

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Mike... Thank you! There are times, but in general I'm having a good time.