Tuesday, September 7, 2010

September 7, 2010

If one more grey fox walks up behind me while I'm painting in my own yard and snorts or barks or chortles or whatever it is you call the weird noise that they make, I'm going to get a large stuffed coyote to stand next to me! They should know that if the coyotes show up, they're goners. My anxiety aside, I love having the little guys running all over my yard at night and stopping a few feet from my easel to look at me like I don't belong. I stayed in the yard tonight to paint to avoid the wind and to avoid driving around too much.

That's all I'm saying...

I decided I had more to say!

Observation is key in painting, I don't think that could be argued, not in representational painting anyway. In the dark...

You can't paint from what you know, you have to paint what you see!

Previous knowledge is almost useless because everything that you thought you knew about a tree, for instance, changes in the dark. So you have to be an even more careful and keen observer at night than you may be in the day time. I know I'm guilty of, and have to constantly remind myself, 'not' to paint things, but to paint relationships... value, color and edges... at ALL times. It's easy to let your previous knowledge slip into a painting, but at night that knowledge isn't there in all cases, so you have to rely on observation.

Now that's all...


9/7-1 'Porch Pot' ( Sorry for the glare. I could not find a way to shoot this and not have some?)
I planted this shrub rose last August. If it lives until next August I'll consider myself lucky. I liked it's profile against the lighter colored siding of the house.


SOLD
9/7-2 'Norway Spruce'
I have these two gorgeous old Norway Spruce adorning my front yard. And of course the obligatory orange street light. I'm beginning to hate whoever came up with these lights that are all orange. It's a strange color to paint in any situation other than Halloween.

4 comments:

Ray Craighead said...

Nice job, as usual. Funny story about the fox. That WOULD give me the willies. I look forward to seeing the product of your efforts every morning. Keep up the good work, and effort.

Daroo said...

I really like 'Norway Spruce'. It has those mysterious spaces created by lost edges and dark places that epitomize nocturnes for me. Things are hinted at but left unsaid.


...or maybe I just like Halloween.

greggart said...

Mark you have inspired me. I've only done a few noctures but attempted one this weekend with little success....had a heck of a time adjusting my eyes to get the write colors.... I saw how you did your light...so that lights up your whole palette and your canvas? After doing this a week or so are they becoming easier?

Terry said...

On the other hand, think of it this way: There are millions of Americans who have grown up with the orange-y street lights, and your paintings will fill them with nostalgia as the years go by. They'll trigger countless memories of summer evenings in the ol' neighborhood...