Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sunday October 3, 2010


'Doug's Kettle Korn' oil on canvas, 11x14 © Marc R. Hanson'10

I took part in the Wild Wings Fall Festival and Original Show in Lake City, MN this past Saturday and Sunday. I was asked to do a painting demonstration along with other demonstrations being done to help show the public the 'art' in action.

It was a beautiful fall day with the sun shining brightly, lighting up the surroundings. Doug Hase from Alexandria, MN runs a business who was a vendor at the Fall Festival, 'Doug's Kettle Korn', an he cooks up some mean kettle corn. I should mention too that Doug is a tall dude... guessing at least 6'4'? So his head was always up in the canopy of his tent.

The crowd watching had lot's of questions and kept me on my toes while trying to concentrate on pulling off a successful painting. I'm happy with it from many aspects, color, composition and being able to get it down all the while the models were moving and the light was changing. A great day.

16 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

This is just fabulous Marc... Wow...

Have fun with the guys!! I know you will inspire one another... as well as have one heck of a great time!!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Marian. That's very sweet!!!

Ben Bauer said...

How was it! I remember those fest's as a kid were the highlight of my year! I missed it the past few years since the one I luckily part of..... I see Mr. Maass wasnt here? I see it changed places too.... Are they changing as a company? Too many questions....

Ben

Marc R. Hanson said...

They were bought back from Cabela's after about an 8 year ownership. Former CFO, who's been there as long as I have been working with them, purchased it last year.
No, Mr Maas was not there, but all of the rest of the same artists were.
The headquarters is now all office and operating space, no gallery space. So they rented a nice new wing of St Mary's of the Lake Catholic church on 63, in town. It was as a very good venue.

I like my direction.... ;-)

Moish said...

Beautiful!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Moish.

r0b0 said...

veryveryvery nice color arrangement

Marilyn R Miller said...

Sprctacular!

Lori Bonanni said...

Love this!

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Well captured beautiful intense light that comes with Autumn. Can almost feel the fresh air and smell the cooking :)

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Great sense of light here. I look forward to the Provincetown paintings. One of my all time favorite places.

Anonymous said...

I can smell the kettle corn through the breeze and the warm light draws it closer. Very nice painting. Miss your FB pg. Susan Hogan Girard

Chad said...

Lovely Marc!
Reminds me of Trevor Chamberlain's work with little figures set in atmosphere and environment. Nice!

Susan Roux said...

I love the warm Fall light you captured here. Its so inviting...

Helder Vieira said...

You nailed that warm fall light that's for sure.
Beautiful painting.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been in PTown, MA painting, got home and am just now catching up.

Thank you for your words. I spent way too long on this one, but doing that afforded me the time to pick up on some of the little details that you've mentioned. It wasn't until the end that he started up enough of the korn to cause the smoke that I really liked adding in.

I think of Trevor Chamberlain often anytime I'm painting this sort of situation. He's as good as there is at adding atmospheric figures to his work.

Thanks again.