Friday, December 31, 2010

December 31, 2010 Happy New Year

Happy New Year! This painting is most likely my last for the year. I am posting it, but it still needs time to age and in the aging sometimes things are seen or discovered that need to be thought about, maybe changed. Because it's the end of the year, however, I decided to go ahead and post this now as it...


'Sunny Bottoms' - oil - 30x36 © Marc R. Hanson '10
I see a theme developing in my titles... maybe that will be the first thing I change on this one? Then again, it's a painting, painted from a painting, that was painted in May. Enough 'p's for now.

This time of the spring is an electric time in the woods. The foliage is young, 'spring tender' pale green, and creates a staccato array of light catching and reflecting planes that meet the eye with an almost dizzying effect. The small twigs and branches of the trees and under-story all reflect a brighter light than at other times of the year. Spring is their time to shine! I love to paint this from life and in the studio its an exercise in sharp, brilliant little strokes and touches played against the softer diffused depth of the woods. The subject for this is from inside the heavier woods looking out into a low bottom area, meanings a slightly wet patch of woods, where the trees stay smaller because of the moisture.

Here's the study that this one was painted from. Obviously my head is full of the memory of this time of year because there isn't this much information in the study. But the spirit of the study is what I wanted to build the larger painting from.


'First Green Of Spring' - oil - 8x10 © Marc R. Hanson '09

17 comments:

Sunny said...

Just beautiful,Marc; I love the light play. and a Happy blessed new year to you also. I love visiting your blog!

KEH said...

beautiful painting.... truly inspiring ! You did an excellent job capturing the beauty and radiance of the forest!

Katie
art-aid

Jean Spitzer said...

Foggy top and sunny bottoms?

Beautiful paintings.

Happy new year.

mitzi rothman said...

What a nice way to end the year . . . such wonderful paintings. Beautiful light.

Happy New Year.

Anne Stickney said...

this is something you do so well, Marc. I think "Shisken Woods" is one of my favorites of all your paintings, very similar feel to it.
Happy New Year!

Anne Stickney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacki Newell said...

Mmmmm. I can just smell the wonderful freshness of spring. What a beautiful time of year and you capture the feeling perfectly. God bless you in the new year.

Nancy Clearwater Herman said...

Both of these paintings a absolutely perfect the way they are. Please don't change anything! I can almost smell the warm earth of spring.

Marc R. Hanson said...

HAPPY 1-1-11 EVERYONE!!!

Thank you Sunny. Thanks for visiting.

Katie... Thanks so much. :)

Jean... Clever huh!? ;-) Kind of cheesy but my other thought was simply 'Spring'! Thank you.

Mitzi... That's very nice... Thank you.

Anne... Thanks. You remember that painting? :) I used it along with this study and a few others to assist my memory with what to paint in this one. That's why those field experiences are SO IMPORTANT!!! I have plenty of photos of spring... not ONE of them would have led to this painting if that's all that I had to use.

Thank you Jacki! :) Sweet...

Nancey... Thank you, I appreciate your comment. It's up on the easel and so far nothing has really jumped out at me that needs immediate attention. There are things that I will do differently next time, but they're not things that make this one wrong, they're more conceptual ideas about the piece. I do think I'm going to scumble over some cooler violets, grey blues and the like. But you won't even notice that... unless you bought it!!! ;-) You'd have to be up real close to see these little bits of color. There's already a lot of that in the painting... pinks, oranges, dark violets... but they can't be seen in a photo.

Thanks all...

Margie said...

Marc--you really have the gift to show us lovely spring woods. The depth and light are a joy.
Happy New Year 1-1-11

Marian Fortunati said...

Beautiful, Marc!!
.... and may your bottoms be sunny in 2011 ... LOL
I always enjoy reading the descriptions about your paintings.

Have a wonderful wonderful year!

Brian McGurgan said...

Beautiful work, Marc - I love the warm glow and sense of delicate, dappled sunlight. Best wishes for a very happy new year!

Dot Courson said...

Like all the extras your put into this painting. It's beautiful!

Ruby said...

Absolutely beautiful ... you've captured the fresh awakening of spring perfectly! Truly an enchanting canvas ... makes one wish for spring!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Margie... Thank you!!!

Marian... I try to keep them covered! :) But thanks. Happy New Year!

Brian thank you much! Happy New Year!

Thanks Dot!

Ruby... Thank you. Unless the snow is perfect for skiing... I'll take spring anytime. Happy New Year!

hmuxo said...

I'm so happy that I found your blog! You do such beautiful work! I'm looking forward to your future paintings.

Young Vic said...

Often, if the skill is being used in a common or practical way, people will consider it a craft instead of oil painting. Likewise, if the skill is being used in a commercial or industrial way, it may be considered commercial art instead of fine art. On the other hand, crafts and design are sometimes considered applied art. Some art followers have argued that the difference between fine art and applied art has more to do with value judgments made about the art than any clear definitional difference.However, even fine art often has goals beyond pure creativity and self-expression. The purpose of works of art may be to communicate ideas, such as in politically, spiritually, or philosophically motivated art; to create belstaff jackets (see aesthetics); to explore the nature of perception; for pleasure; or to generate strong emotions. The purpose may also be seemingly nonexistent.