Thursday, September 22, 2011

July, August, September...

I really can't believe that my last post was early July! But then again it's been a crazy busy summer full of traveling to paint and teach. I have a pile of work to post here so rather than get into much detail about the last few months I'd rather show some of the images from the summer and talk about the recent past with them a little bit.

First of all... We, Sargent and I, have a new housemate. Her name is Frida. We rescued her at about 12 weeks. She's an adorable little sweetheart of a kitten. Even Sarge is beginning to see it that way.


I'M VERY HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE THAT I HAVE JOINED A NEW GALLERY IN TEXAS... R.S.Hanna Gallery, Fredericksburg, TX

I was forunate to have been awarded the Bronze Medal Award at the Oil Painters Of America's (OPA) 19th Annual National Juried Exhibition in Idaho for the painting "Right Or Left?"...


"Right or Left?" 24x30 oil
Available at R.S.Hanna Gallery, Fredericksburg, TX

All of these paintings are available, unless marked 'NFS' or at specific galleries and are linked to the galleries that they're hanging in.

Here we go... The first four are just random field studies that I've painted this summer.


'CORNER LIGHT' 8x10 Oil 2011©Marc R. Hanson
Available at R.S.Hanna Gallery, Fredericksburg, TX
I discovered that I had a tube of Gamblin's 'Chromatic Black' in my paint bin. So I took it out to see if it would be of interest to me when mixing some of the deep summer greens. It works very well for that, it's in my paint box as a 'occasionally used' color now. I used it extensively as my 'blue' when mixing the greens in this painting. There's a lot of scraping and palette knife work here too, a tool that I find myself using more and more now.



'TREE ISLAND' 8X10 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson
This little study was just painted this past week along the river below me in the Interstate Park, Minnesota side. I was looking at a very bright backlit scene that silhouetted the tree shape nicely. That was the starting point conceptually for this one. The silvery light and strong darks attracted me too.



'TEXAS!' 11X14 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson NFS
This is the first and only painting that I did in Texas during a trip there in July. Now that I am joining the R.S.Hanna Gallery in Fredericksburg, Tx I hope to be there painting a lot more. There is something about that landscape that is very, very attractive to me. It reminds me a lot of the northern California Sierra Foothills near Loomis where I went to high school and where my mother and brother and his family still live. It's the dry grasses and large oaks spread across rolling hills that do it for me I guess. It was hotter than blazes there, 109ยบ F!!! Of course they've experienced terrible fires there this month, totally devastating. But it's finally beginning to rain from what my friends there are saying... Hallelujah!!!



'THAT'S MY BOAT!' 8x10 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson
Available at Addison Art Gallery in Orleans, MA.
In June I went out to Cape Cod to paint with friends Shannon Runquist, Paul Schulenburg, Elizabeth Pollie, Frank Gardner, Jerome Green, Sara Jane Doberstein and Peter Kalill. There was an exhibit held at Addison Art Gallery sponsored by the Cape Cod Museum of Art celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the establishment of the Cape Cod National Seashore by President John F. Kennedy. We painted all over the National Seashore area and in the harbors. This was a small boat at the harbor in Wellfleet, Ma.


THE NEXT GROUP OF PAINTINGS ARE ALL DEMOS OR PAINTED DURING MY SUMMER MENTORSHIPS AND WORKSHOPS...


'ST CROIX SWIRLS' 11X14 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson
Available at R.S.Hanna Gallery, Fredericksburg, TX



'PEONIES' 8X10 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'TAYLOR'S ROCKS' 12X16 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'GARAGE GARDEN' 11X14 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson


THE NEXT GROUP OF PAINTINGS ARE PIECES THAT I PAINTED IN JULY AT THE DOOR COUNTY PLEIN AIR FESTIVAL IN WISCONSIN...


'COOL MORNING' 9X12 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'FLAMING LACE' 11X14 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'MOONLIGHT BAY CULVERT' 11x14 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'MORNING BRIGHT' 11X14 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'WISCONSIN BARNS' 12X16 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson


7
'WHITE SOX' 9X12 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson


THE FINAL GROUP OF PAINTINGS ARE OF A SELECTION OF FIELD STUDIES PAINTED OF A SUBJECT THAT HAS BECOME NEAR AND DEAR TO ME THIS YEAR. THE LOCATION IS A 30,000 ACRE WILDLIFE REFUGE MADE UP OF SEDGE MARSH, UPLAND AND PRAIRIE HABITAT IN NW WISCONSIN NEAR GRANTSBURG... AND IS CALLED 'CREX MEADOW'. THIS EXPANSE OF LAND IS A HAVEN FOR CRITTERS AS VARIED AS WOLVES AND SANDHILL CRANES TO BLACK BEARS AND TRUMPETER SWANS. EAGLES, OSPREYS, ASSORTED OTHER WATERFOWL AND FUR BEARING ANIMALS ABOUND. THEY'RE ALL THERE BECAUSE OF THE SPECTACULAR NATURE OF THE ENVIRONMENT THAT HAS BEEN PROTECTED WITHIN THIS ECOSYSTEM OF CREX MEADOWS. I HOPE TO CONTINUE TO DO STUDIES, PHOTOGRAPH AND PAINT LARGER PAINTINGS ON LOCATION WHENEVER I CAN. EXCEPT FOR THE LAST TWO PAINTINGS BELOW, THESE ARE ALL FIELD STUDIES PAINTED ON LOCATION.


'OVERHANGING DARKS' 12X16 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'LILY'S' 8X16 Pastel 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'SEPTEMBER REFLECTIONS' 9X12 Oil 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'REISINGER LAKE I' 3.5X4 Gouache 2011© Marc R. Hanson NFS



'REISINGER LAKE II' 3.5X4 Gouache 2011© Marc R. Hanson NFS



'UPPER PHANTOM FLOWAGE I' 3.5X4 Gouache 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'UPPER PHANTOM FLOWAGE II' 3.5X4 Gouache 2011© Marc R. Hanson


I had a hard time photographing these two larger studio pieces... But you get the idea.


'BEYOND SHADOWS' 24X24 Oil - Studio - 2011© Marc R. Hanson



'TOWARDS THE END' 24X24 Oil - Studio - 2011© Marc R. Hanson

25 comments:

Robb said...

THESE ARE SO AMAZING!!! Thank you for posting!

Jacquelyn said...

I'm there in every painting. Wonderful job.

Joe Kresoja said...

Fantastic stuff Marc, very inspiring!

Tania said...

This is just such a wonderful and inspiring post. The new addition to your family looks just so cute, Sargent's got me in!Congratulations on your bronze medal. And now to the paintings, simply breathtaking. And thanks for sharing your paintings from Crex Meadow, what a beautiful part of the world.

B Boylan said...

Wow! Eye candy! Love the short notes on each piece, a quick read, but delicious for the eyes! Thanks for sharing.

Sonya Johnson said...

Beautiful collection of works! It's good to see you posting again, and congratulations on the new gallery representation (and addition to the family).

Dot Courson said...

Marc,
Refreshingly beautiful works. Adorable pets! You deserve all the accolades and awards that you get- and I look forward to your next post.

Douglas Clark said...

Congrats on the new gallery. I believe that it is going to be a great one. I'll be in Fredericksburg in Oct. and look forward to checking it out.

Sharlette White said...

So glad to see you posting again. I started following you when you were doing your painting marathon. I had high expectations to follow, didn't, but I'm back to painting now thanks to wonderful artists like you that dare to inspire me.

Thank you you'll never know how much we learn from artist as talented as you and your peers.

Bruce Trewin said...

WOW!!
You have been busy ...and what a range of work. In several I seem to detect a much greater colour saturation than you normally use. Have you been experimenting?

Great stuff, Marc!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you all for your comments. Like a bunch of you, I've been spending my computer time on Facebook more than I should be. Facebook is such a great way to carry on conversations with others, until the recent changes, that it was hard to stay away. It's amazing to me how many artists have connected via Facebook, and shared and discussed issues concerning art and life.

However... Facebook has made that experience a much less interesting one to be a part of or place to be hanging out. It's all good because It has allowed me to spend less of my computer time there. Or should I say that it has given me the impetus to reevaluate where I spend my computer time.

I realized that I had severely neglected this blog. I've decided that is not a good move, so I'm redoubling my efforts to keep this updated as I have the work. I'm also going to begin to use it as a writing platform to talk more about my own experiences as an artist, the nuts and bolts about Art and Artist.

I look at this work and realize that as I had suspected, it's changing a little bit. There is a reason for that, I'm not sure why, but I know it is. One reason has to do with materials. I'm using an oil primed board, the Centurion OPDeluxe, oil primed linen board. I really like how the paint sits on the surface of these boards and they're very reasonable to purchase. I also use the same linen off of a roll that I mount down for larger pieces. It's a fine weave linen and doesn't work as well stretched. I find I can work into it easier if it's on a board, or taped/stapled in the case of larger pieces, which then gets glued or stretched later.

However it can be slippery so in order to get faster coverage I've begun to use a drying medium such as Galkyd or the one I prefer, Winsor and Newton's 'Drying Linseed Oil'. Both of these "set" the paint faster, allowing better paint coverage right from the start.

Along with that medium I am also using more palette knife, even to apply paint, and to manipulate the paint more than ever. I scrape back, add, 'smoosh', and draw with them.

Probably the most dramatic change are the brushes that I find my self using now. I began trying out cheaper water color brushes, chip brushes from the hardware store and other assorted 'non art' brushes. My reason at first was to use them for textural application of the paint. I love the surface of the paint. It's one of my biggest thrills as a painter and as an art viewer, to see the quality of the surface of the paint.

The cheap chip brushes... $.79 or $1.00 each... give me a new tool box for paint application. Because of their less than perfect construction, making a brush stroke always has some element of surprise in it. I've learned to control the erratic nature of the strokes, but I also count on not knowing just exactly what they'll bring to the job.

These and other changes in my working approach is naturally bringing a different look to some of my work. It's allowing me to be slightly less precise, as a stroke tends to get to be with too perfect a brush or tool. I try to use these new tools as 'precisely' as I can, but they have that inherent 'wild child' quality built into them and I find that very, very invigorating when painting.

continued....

Marc R. Hanson said...

All of this has been happening in the last few months or so, and is probably why I have been slower to post images. I have to keep up my schedule of shows, teaching and other events and show the work, but to sit down and talk about it here is harder if I'm not sure myself what is happening to the work. Painting is such a personal event, one that we don't always understand as it's happening. When you're painting a lot you may be making small changes to your work, conscious and subconscious, that don't show until a body of work has been completed and you take a look back at it.

Any changes that show here are a part of this recent evolution. I'll think about it some more, look at more of the work as it is painted and write more as i understand more. This is what makes being an Artist such a precious, treasured, protected life to have.

If we are listening to ourselves, possibly not always understanding, but evolving artistically as our artistic temperament dictates, then our art will go where we allow it to if we are listening.

Thank you again...

Phyllis said...

Thanks Mark! The way you do this is inspiring. Your on site work is always fabulous, and these gouache studies are gems! What kind of toned paper are you using for that? Do you have a simple palette of colors you recommend for someone starting out in gouache?? I would be most appreciative for that info, as your color is natural.

Nancy Clearwater Herman said...

These are all so very wonderful. What a summer you have had. Congratulations!

Liz said...

Beautiful! So enjoyed the tour of Wisconson, (I'm from MI but live in FL now, miss that northern area).

Denise Rose said...

Wow! This post is such a "feast" for my eyes! Love all of it!

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi there Stranger!... I've missed your "presence"... but figured the heavy commitments to teaching and mentoring were the reasons.

The wait was worth it Marc. Your summer production is nothing short of stunning!

Thanks for including the commentary as well as the images... that really makes one feel present in your process and thinking.

I truly admire your field studies... and the studio work certainly encapsulates the field learning... doesn't it.

Your Bronze award is a Gold in my eyes... breathtakingly simple... using only the elements of light to make a simple turn in the road... majestic!

Glad to have you back!Happy Fall!

Good painting!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

Kami Polzin said...

Beautiful work Marc! I especially love Garage Garden! :)

Concetta Flore said...

Each of these paintings you generously share is a feast for the eyes and a lesson in handling colours, seeing light, making decisions on tones.They are little masterpieces. I love the pastels- they're so bright arent't they?- and your gouaches. Light shines off and through nearly every one of your works and your eye creates a picture from what I would perhaps overlook...Great stuff Marc! And thank you for all the feedback too.

Celeste Bergin said...

you had me at hello

Pattie Wall said...

Frida is so cute - bet she keeps you and Sarge busy! Love all the paintings, especially those gouache studies - are they done on matboard or canson paper? The background is cool!

Roger Brown My Botswana Art said...

Love your work ,Special favorites of mine are Lilies, and beyond the Shadows!

tk said...

It is really great you have you back posting recent work and your words are right on and very inspiring. I saw you working in Door County at the quick paint, painting the back area of a restaurant and really enjoyed watching your process.

Barb Berens said...

Beautiful and inspiring work. I always check your blog for inspiration when I need a pick-me-up. I love your notes and how you share your thoughts.

Jala Pfaff said...

Always wonderful work. I usually am not a fan of studio works and usually always prefer artists' rough and quick stuff, but I have to say, these studio pieces are really outstanding.