Monday, August 20, 2012

The relocation adventure begins...


The countdown to my newest adventure, a move to Colorado, has begun today.  I'm going to try to keep track of my progress on the blog... 11 days and counting... I leave lovely Minnesota on either the 30th or the 31st of August, depending on my progress in getting everything done that needs to be done.  Services have been notified, I still need to change mailing addresses with a bazillion different entities... first I have to try to remember them all to do that... working on it.  

With an exception or two, most of my art business that has to be done beforehand, has been completed. And a new lease and rent has been signed and paid on a nice apartment in Longmont, CO.  I'm really happy about where I'll be living, the space is tight for a pack rat of an artist, but nice and cozy for now.  Once I have feet on the ground there I can spend some time in the next year looking around and possibly finding something that is more than I'm starting out in.  

Today I'm packing up art supplies, cook books, tools and other miscellaneous 'stuff', room by room.  The studio is first, there's a lot to deal with in here, but it's going well.  It's really hard to imagine the entire bulk of your life possessions fitting into a 16' truck... But it has too, I want it to.  Of course the Hughes Easel is coming along... after nearly selling it a few months back, I realized that it's seasoned now, and just like my cats, must be with me.  

There will undoubtedly be a large truck load or two going to Family Pathways and ReStore in St Croix Falls, as donated goods.  I've already outfitted several rooms up there with furniture, clothing, tools, shop tools, sound equipment and on and on.  Chairs, kitchen table and chairs, dishes, and so many other household goods, that I wonder why there's anything left here now.  And there in lies the problem... There is still too much stuff!!!  

Talk about feeling liberated, shedding your belongings may be even better than shedding body weight! Doing the work it takes to shed the junk also sheds the fat cells... I hope.  

I have to get back to it, but wanted to share my chariot for the adventure... a 16' Penske truck and a dolly to tow my truck with.  Why Penske?  After reading reviews, in which you basically become totally confused by the differing opinions, I paid attention to a couple of independent review sights, and Penske came out right up there with Budget as being the two most highly thought of for services and cost.  The cost to do this yourself vs using a container, or having moving company do it for you, is at least a 1/4th less than those options.  

I like the yellow trucks, so Penske it is.  I'll have 5 days to load and drive it to Colorado before the truck has to be turned in to a drop off site in Boulder, CO.  Should be no biggie...??? 

For now, back to packing.  And throwing, more throwing than packing in fact!  

23 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Oh boy! A page-turner! Or at least a post-turner! This will certainly be one of the most memorable adventures of your life. Thanks, in advance, for sharing the excitement.

Judie Stang said...

I hope this move to CO doesn't make it geographically difficult to attend the Peninsula Plein Air Festival in Door CO. Your talent would be missed!

Marc R. Hanson said...

No way Judy! The flights to MSP from Denver are under $200! In CO I'll be more centrally located for travel than I am now.

SamArtDog... How about a 'back breaker'? This is going to be hard work, harder than I thought. My big challenge now, after piling up boxes all day on a masking taped visual of the space I'll have on the truck, is to make it all fit. And if it doesn't, eliminate! :)

liz wiltzen said...

It's like putting a puzzle together Marc - tap into the right brain and you'll fit it all for sure! Happy travels friend.

Jim Bortz said...

Good post Marc. I'm contemplating a move to CO sometime next summer, so I'll be keeping tabs on your adventure. Thanks for sharing.

black bear cabin said...

Hey...you wont be too far from me...your gonna LOVE it here!!! I moved to Colorado in 1989 from Los Angeles, and fell in love with it instantly! You'll be getting here for my favorite time of year, Fall! Have a safe trip and have fun packing :)

Carol Flatt said...

It's wonderful to follow your adventure on your blog - the good, the bad, just all of it. We've moved ourselves a few times so I can commiserate with the enormity of it! Good luck to you. Beautiful country you're moving to!!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Liz! I'm tap, tap, tapping and what is coming out is the ability to give and toss more! Big question keeps arising..."Do I really need this? Can I replace this easily if I get rid of now but need it later? Will I Ever use this again? " I have saved myself cubic feet of space in the 3 digit range.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Liz! I'm tap, tap, tapping and what is coming out is the ability to give and toss more! Big question keeps arising..."Do I really need this? Can I replace this easily if I get rid of now but need it later? Will I Ever use this again? " I have saved myself cubic feet of space in the 3 digit range.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Jim... No kidding? Let me know where you'll be heading. Seems like it would be a great place for you and your art too. Thank you.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Lisa... Thanks for the positive feedback on your love for Colorado! I already feel that way, and that's with only a handful of visits recently. Packing is kind of fun, fun to find things that I forgot I had or that were so hidden away that I haven't seen them in 6 years since moving up here. That challenge to move only what is absolutely necessary is a big one. I'm having to turn off my nostalgia switch or everything would have to go. I'm finding it better to give things away than to try to sell it off in little dollar amounts. I have sold some things, boats, motors, larger items, but for all those other things that I don't want to hang onto, I give to friends or to our local charitable storefront businesses... Family Pathways and ReStore. Thanks again.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Carol! I was wondering yesterday while in the middle of some difficult lifting and sorting, whether I would do this anytime again soon? When I thought about that, I immediately began to cull more. :)

Scott Ruthven said...

Score one for Colorado!!! I live just 30 minutes North of Longmont, in Fort Collins and I'm thrilled to hear you are moving here. We have lots of great landscapes to paint here for sure. So, when do your weekly classes start? Count me in ;-)

conz zaragoza said...

Aww. Your moving? Why oh why? Don't worry your moving for the good of all. lol Colorado is a great place. You'll be able to find your place and make a name. You'll get the hang of it.
financial advisors melbourne

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Best of luck to you Marc. Safe travel to your new home.

Bruce Trewin said...

How did the move go? Hopefully you are now settled in and trying to remember what boxes have what in them. Happy painting

Lisa said...

itCiI have been a Facebook follower of yours for some time now. You are moving to my neck of the woods! I live in Laramie Wyoming just North of you. Please, please tell me you are going to have classes/workshops in Colorado! Please? This would be a chance of a lifetime for me to attend . . . Lisa

Jo Castillo said...

I'm not sure it will be cold enough for you in Colorado after Minnesota. :) Best of luck to you. It is such a beautiful State and the area you picked is great. Looking forward to following your adventure.

Carol Putman said...

Best of luck to you. It's quite a change to make. This is off subject, but hoping you could clarify the meaning and significance of the small flame-like icon I'm seeing in the address bar of your website.

Marry said...

Wonderfully crisp and always interesting!

Jala Pfaff said...

Safe travels, Marc. I live about 15 minutes from where you will be in Longmont. Let me know anytime (you can email me from my blog) if there's anything you need or need to know in this area. Cheers.

Eugene said...

After 3 months of no updates I wonder if Marc has got there yet. :-)

Bruce Trewin said...

Well Eugene, I am known to go six months without posting so I guess we will have to cut Marc some slack while he gets himself organised. In the meantime we'll have to content our selves with reviewing his old posts. Remember 2010? That was a bumper year. 115 posts and some great paintings! Start in January and read one post per day.