Sunday, December 16, 2012

Where oh where did my blog go???

Well, I know... it's been accosted by facebook!  It's interesting to me how through recent time there have been several major communicating/social networking arenas that have absorbed my time, yet have been arteries through which I have connected with other artists, collectors, galleries, and a multitude of art resources.

As one has become more populated and easy to use, the previous ones have fallen by the wayside.  In my own life, since I first had a functioning computer, one that would actually connect to the internet, there have been three of these outlets for being in contact with other artists.

First there was Wet Canvas, an online artists' community, where I met many, many artists who have become lifelong friends.  I can't tell you how many hours I spent online on Wet Canvas talking with artists from all over the world about life, art and everything involving both, in between.  I think I started in about 1998 or so, continued as a contributer until about 2005 or there about.

At that time, Blogging increased in popularity, and ease of use, as a method to have commune with others about your art or art in general.  I blogged here pretty heavily for most of the last 6 years, and it proved to be a wonderful platform for presenting not only my own art, but for discussions about topics in the art world, that many of us are interested in.

Then came Facebook!  Since joining Facebook, my blogging has suffered in an increasing lapse between posts.  FB is simply so easy to use, and the artist community there is HUGE, that I think it became more attractive as an outlet for those of us who work alone in a studio, and enjoy the 'office chit chat' that FB seems to provide.  You can build a HUGE audience for your work on FB, thousands... until they cut you off!  I am thankful for the followers of my blog, and apologetic for neglecting it, until now.  There are many, many reasons for this, that those who study social phenomenon are going to be much better at laying out, so I'm not going any deeper into it than that.

However, I have decided that the blog is a better place to present my work, and to discuss the things that are important to me as an artist.  So, with that, I am planning to renew my efforts to get this thing back up and active.

As I last posted, I moved to Colorado in September.  I did make it, the truck made it, and the cats had a great trip.  Sarge found a spot underneath the bench seat, where the kitty litter pail was, Frida found a spot on the bench seat, glued to my thigh for the entire ride out here.

We only had one narrow brush with getting that truck and trailer into a tight spot, and nearly running out of gas, all at the same time.  I was into CO about 75 miles, and had been timing my gas stops at about 1/4 tank left.  As soon as I was there, I took the next opportunity to fill up.  That went really well, until I hit eastern CO.  For some reason, the gas stations seem to evaporate.  I hit the 1/4 tank mark, started looking... and looking... and looking.  At close to the 'low fuel' warning light and buzzer, I saw a gas station off of the interstate, with diesel.   Happy now, I pulled off and made the turn onto a narrow 2 lane road to enter the gas station.  To my grief, it was closed, and the entrance was barb wired!  I was now heading east on a skinny frontage road... and the sign said... NO OUTLET!  Words did not escape me... Looking quickly for somewhere to turn around the 22' truck plus the 12' of trailer, I didn't see any where to do that, but I did see the dead end a short distance ahead.

The road was built up on a berm, so I couldn't go into the ditch to turn around.  At this point, the 'low fuel' warning light and buzzer goes off... I'm in the red zone and beginning to worry.  I attempted to do a 'back up, three point turn' with all of that length, but realized I was lucky not to get stuck trying that.

Without any other ideas, I drove to the end of the road a few hundred yards ahead... thinking maybe there would be a way to solve the problem.  At the end of the road, there was one dirt road that led up to a trailer house and a bunch of garbage (kind of a crack house looking place), about 75 yards ahead, and into a pasture.  I was looking at that, then realized that there were no fences along the road!!!???

Light bulb....

I tightened up the seat belt, told the kitties to hang on tight, and put that diesel to work.  Drove it right up that dirt road about 40 yds, just enough to clear the trailer, hung a tight left into the pasture (which I took a serious look at, it looked solid and destructive object free), and did a Penske U-eee... through the pasture and around back onto the 2 lane road, heading west again.  I'm sighing a big sigh of relief now, because if I run out of fuel, at least after a return walk with a fuel can, the Penske would be pointed towards my destination, a very good thing.  To cut this short, the very next exit, less than 2 miles ahead, had diesel and wide roads.  I made it, and with great relief drove on into Longmont, CO without having to stop again.


Mt Meeker and Long's Peak from Golden Ponds in Longmont

I love it here... this is the place that I though it was going to be, when I made the choice to relocate.  In the 3 months that I've been here now, I have become extremely comfortable in my new apartment, in my new state, with my new friends and community.  In a future post, I will talk about how I've tried to adjust as an artist here, that has taken some time.  But as adjusting to a new place to live goes, that has been a breeze.

Every day brings about new beauty in the landscape.  It never ceases to amaze and challenge me as an artist.  Be back soon...


29 comments:

Frank Gardner said...

Good read Marc. I too have neglected my blog in favor of the speed of posting and large artist community on Facebook. Every so often I get emails or people stop in the gallery asking what happened to my blog. It takes longer to type up an interesting blog post, but I've been thinking it's time to get back at it too. For one, the image quality and size is much better than on Facebook lately.

Rubysboy said...

Welcome back!
Missed your postings and look forward to a renewal. Had no idea there was a huge artist community on Facebook. What could possibly be the attraction? All I see there are tweets with photos? Much rather read thoughtful reflections with photos.

Gregory Summers said...

As an emerging artist that does have a small following on FB does it make sense to still try to establish a blog of sorts? Trying to keep up with all the ” networking” possibilities is a little time consuming if you know what I mean. Knocks that 50% painting time down even farther.

Mick Carney said...

Just a delight to see you back.

René PleinAir said...

An very great read Marc, and I agree soo much about the whole Facebook thing. In the end it's only consuming more and more time, the good old time of blogging went with much more ease I even have the idea that I had more time.

Maybe it's really time to move on.

I'm gone share this posting though (bit hypo isn't it?)

billsharp said...

Happy to hear you'll be blogging more. FB is an awfully noisy place and difficult to communicate anything substantive.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Good Points Marc, and love the tales of traveling with cats, which my husband and I do.
I prefer the blog over FB in a big way. FB is so random and scattered. Kind of like a huge stadium full of who knows who they are.
I like the feedback I get on my blog and I know that people are there to see the work. I also consider it a cohesive collection and timeline of my work. Showcases my improvement, as well.
Your work is fabulous. Glad the move suited you.

Kathryn Clark said...

I've always hated FB because of the horrible graphic design. It's so confusing, jumping here and there with only snippets. I enjoy writing on my blog and enjoyed reading yours. Glad you opted for the higher quality format, better graphics, photos, and storytelling.

Judy P. said...

Best wishes on your move Marc; we met once through Kami. I agree with the other writers above, that the blog is more substantive than FB. I write on my blog, then send it to Facebook with a little intro line. So when someone on Facebook clicks it, they go right to my blog post. That way my blog gets all the action!

Marc R. Hanson said...

I'm with you Frank! A blog seems more substantial than all the cat posts, songs, political... and other subject matter that shows up on Facebook. I contribute to all of that, well not so much political anymore (that can get you into some deep doodoo), way too much and feel like it's sitting around watching TV instead of being productive.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Rubysboy! FB is a huge gathering place for artists. Problem to me is that it's also a large gathering place for all of the other channels that I don't want to see.
Blogs can be more specific.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hey Greg... Well, yeah, I think a blog would be great for you. But yes, then the time spent needs to be more carefully alloted. I'm not sure that less Facebook time is a bad thing. Pluse, now that you are so visible there, you can Networkblog your blog or just share it, and bring people to the blog... cutting down that time spent in FB.
It's hard to say it's been wasted time, look at all of us who've networked because of it. To me it's more the content, the less art specific chit chat. Of which I'm big time guilty of... that's it's downfall in my mind.
Start a blog, link or share it to FB and see what happens.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Mick...

Thanks Rene... I know what you mean. :)

Bill Sharpe... you got that exactly right.

Thanks Mary SW... We're all on about the same page concerning the differences it looks like.

Kathryn Clark... thanks for your input. It feels good to be back here. And it's easier to use now than in the past. The improvements have been just that.

There you go Judy P!!! It was great to meet you then...

Kevin Menck said...

Uh oh. I guess I need to get my blog going again too.
Great post.

Andrew Daniel said...

I just copy my blog post and paste it into facebook under the comment section of a new photo.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Sorry Kevin... '-)

janet sellers said...

Yes, the blog business is fading to facebook... because facebook is easy, inter active and fun... I do think we had more time to ourselves before facebook, but that's why facebook is so popular. It's the pub without the beer, so to speak.

Bruce Trewin said...

When my wife and I relocated to France about 11 years ago we took our cat with us of course. As Vancouver to south western France was going to be along haul we decided to go via Montreal where my dad agreed to meet us with a cat litter box in his car for the three hour stop over. The cat put on a determined frown and refused to use it. Our next leg to Paris was made with the cat crossing her legs the whole way and as soon as we were through customs and had picked up the rental vehicle we set up a box and again she refused to use it. The drive to our new home was five hours and the total elapsed time about 20 hours since leaving Vancouver when she finally gave in only after she had her paws on solid ground in her new home. She weed continuously for five minutes. Happy painting Marc.

Rebecca said...

Looking forward to all of the gorgeous paintings you'll be creating in CO! Glad that you are settling in well. It's always a struggle to balance your life, your art and all of the social networking that is required of the modern day artist these days. Glad that you've been able to figure out which ones work best for you and looking forward to seeing your future posts!

Sergio Lopez said...

If it wasn't for Facebook though, I wouldn't have seen your work for the first time. I first saw your work when people were sharing your 30-day nocturne challenge.

Jim Serrett said...

Glad to see you blogging Marc.
I can say we first discussed art/painting about twelve years ago on the WetCanvas forum.
I use to love that site, great people with passions for art, so many in-depth and intelligent conversations there. It and FB just are so noisy and filled with “snippets” of information, that even with filters it can become overwhelming and impersonal. I really don’t care that my nephew has a new game console, or my vet has a special on balance cat food. FB has its up sides certainly a great way to stay in touch with people and it is just hard not to have a presence on FB or Google+ these days.
Technology can be so seductive.
Glad to see your settling in, “we” (the old school blogoshere) expect great work out of Colorado.

Marc R. Hanson said...

I agree Janet... too easy and too pub like with all of the same stupid arguments and misunderstandings. Maybe there is beer involved!? In fact, there is that common little quote that goes around on there about not drinking and posting... :)

The pace of the blog is deeper...

Marc R. Hanson said...

That's a great story Bruce! I had mine in crates initially. They made... I made it about 50 miles before I let them out because of the incessant yowling and meowing. They were very good and much happier then.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Rebecca... Thank you! Yes, it, social networking, is a necessity. And a pleasure to be able to interact with people and artists from all over the globe. There are a few things that the blogging creative types could take from FB that would make this even more seamless. Yet still keep it what it is. I think that carrying on a conversation here is hard when you have to scroll down through all of the comments. Too bad you can't answer each one directly where it's posted instead of in this little box way up on top of the comments list.

Marc R. Hanson said...

I agree Sergio! I've met the work of, and even the artists in person, so many on FB. Not complaining about what it does, it does that very, very well. More the pace and the gamut of what is talked about... a wider one than I really need. Thanks for chiming in here.

Marc R. Hanson said...



Thanks Jim...I hear you. About the only way around all of that is to form 'groups' that are closed, so that the only talk is what you want to talk about, not all the streaming excess that floats by. I guess that's what a blog is in a way, a closed group... and we should probably be thankful that it's a little more difficult to take part in, or it might become like FB too.

I used to love settling into Wet Canvas too. That led to many adventures with other artists, painting and teaching, that I am grateful for. I logged in again the other day and it looked like it was the same old same old going on...

Judie Stang said...

Thank you for taking the time to share your insight on your new location. The dedication you have towards creating a worthy product to your galleries is very inspiring. It certainly adds value to who you are and what you do. Your work in Colorado is very moving.
I think you can say "mission accomplished"!

B Boylan said...

Marc,
I'm am so glad you have put your attention back into your blog. I ride the same set of guilty measures for Wet Canvas and Blogging, but I get the whole deal here, even though facebook is great for quick snippets, I enjoy your more in depth insights and art more so on your blog. Keep it up. Also your your road trip is a familiar story to me. Been down that road before.

Marla Brenner said...

So good to have you back Marc! I enjoy reading your thoughtful prose as much as viewing your wonderful paintings!