Here are a couple of the latest pieces... One oil that I painted wanting it to dry fast so that I could add some milky glazes and over painting. So I used some alkyds, in addition to my normal mixing of Griffon Alkyd white with my Utrecht Titanium white in a 50/50 mix to aid in drying. But it still took two days to dry enough to be able to do what I wanted to do to it... hence the acrylics that I posted in the previous post. I could use all alkyd paints and I'm sure it would dry right up. But I only have a few, and alkyd white by itself, is weak in it's pigment strength. The only way for me to get enough opacity from it is to mix it with my normal titanium, as mentioned above. And then it doesn't dry fast enough!
It finally did dry, and yesterday I finished it up. Then I decided to do a little larger acrylic, the painting below, a 12x16. This is painted on a SourceTek panel with Claessens 12TS acrylic primed cotton. I really like the weave of this cotton compared to most cotton canvas. I coated the factory prime with a coat of Golden Matte Medium, to help cut the absorbency and to help keep the paint on the panel wet longer. Seemed to work pretty well. Once again, the only negative in working with this acrylic, is the flattening out of the paint as it dries. I take great pains to build a painting from thin to thick... and love that contrast of dimensional quality when the painting is on the wall. With the acrylics... that's a moot point. I even tried using some Golden heavy body White, and some molding paste. On the weave of the cotton, I still can't get the effect that I'm looking for. On primed board, it's better.
With that, I'll post these latest two... thanks for looking.
On The Front - oil on linen/bd - 8x8 ©2013 Marc R. Hanson
No Goats! - acrylic on canvas/bd - 12x16 ©2013 Marc R. Hanson