Sunday, April 20, 2014

Marc R. Hanson - Painter (My new Facebook Artist page)


Happy Easter!!!


'Station 2' - oil - 9x12

'Grove' - oil - 9x12

'February Chroma' - oil - 9x12
Pardon the poor quality photos.  All shot on the grass or back of the van with iPhone. 

I've just returned from St. George, UT and participating in the opening activities for the Mission Gallery, where I show my paintings, and for Authentique Gallery.  It was an amazing event put on by owner Jane Bell Meyer and her wonderful staff.  Jane has a wonderfully sincere way of creating a very positive and enthusiastic energy surrounding the world of art and artists, which she truly does love with all of her heart.  The artists were all painting, and I do mean all, for two days, and I do mean for two days (inside joke... we couldn't leave if we wanted to... lol) in locations surrounding the two galleries.  They are only separated from each other by another building.  While we were painting, we were surrounded by interested people walking past, by numerous collectors who were there to purchase, and by many people who specifically came to the area to see this extravaganza. 

And may I add this... PAINTINGS WERE SOLD!!!  It was very, very encouraging to see the sales activity.  

At the event in St George, we were all set up and painting on the grounds of the galleries.  There wasn't a heck of a lot to paint, so many artists used either previous sketches or photos as reference to paint from.  I painted the first one from life, 'Station 2', looking across the road from the gallery.  The next two were painted off of the iPad, using pastel paintings from the February project as reference.  They were mostly painted from memory, since I couldn't see the screen in the bright light, and when the battery died.  We had a great time anyway, shooting the breeze about Art and Life.

Side note... I met some very interesting people.  To me, as a pilot and one with a partially constructed aircraft in storage (dreams to finish one day still alive), one of the most interesting was a gentleman named Frank Christensen who designed one of the most iconic kit aircraft ever, the Christen(Aviat) Eagle, a beautiful aerobatic sport biplane.  Frank is designing buildings now, not aircraft, and he's an avid art collector!  What a treat it was to shake his hand.  Here's the plane...




Marc R. Hanson - Painter ... This is my new Facebook 'Artist Page'.  I've found a way to use Facebook for my artistic purposes, without the need for a personal page being visible and in use. This is exactly what I needed to do, to have this page, without the personal profile, so that I can concentrate on what I think is good about Facebook, as a platform to interact with other artists, collectors and students without all of the extraneous activity. This is my "business" page where I will be posting my paintings from time to time, and posting information about painting and teaching activities. I'm looking forward to the interaction on that basis. 

Ok... It's been nearly a week since I deactivated my Facebook account.  I cannot tell you how much I've been made to feel warm and fuzzy all over by the comments posted on this blog about that subject.  Your support has been greatly appreciated.   I have not been on Facebook in any covert way, except that I was on there this morning in order to set up what I'm going to mention below.  

Being separated from that addictive, voyeuristic world, where you can be or say anything you want to (without consequence),  hasn't been easy.   However, after about a week,  I've settled into a much quieter and calmer place without it, and am 100% convinced that it was the correct move for me to make.   

This past week in Utah, I talked to a lot of artists, the gallery folks, and even some visitors who had made contact with me and the paintings on Facebook.   I got to talking with some of the artists about all of this, many of whom share my same concerns, as many of you who've commented here on the blog do too.  It seems that what we all agree on, is that there is good in what that platform does in the way of bringing us together as artists, collectors and others interested in art.  

In my first blog post about taking the step to back away, I twice mentioned that this was something I was doing to evaluate my purpose and reasons for being there.  In the very first paragraph of that post,  I twice indicated that this was ... "for the time being " and "I've made a decision to stay off of there for a while. "... possibly a temporary situation.

I've always thought, and have pretty much confirmed this, that you cannot have a business page on Facebook without having a personal profile page as well.  One friend this week insisted that it is possible, that he had done just that, created a page for his art without a personal profile.   I have tried in vane to figure that out, read a ton of information on the web, and still cannot see that it's possible.

But, I did read a great blog, BLOGGING BISTRO, that is full of links to help you understand the hoops and hurdles that the Facebook folks have stacked up in your way to making it an easy thing to navigate around.  If you have any questions about how to do something on Facebook, check out this blog, you'll probably find it there.  

I once again do have a presence on Facebook that I am going to nurture, but it will only be an Art/Artist presence, no personal page... Perfect!!!  That is something that I can live happily with and not allow Facebook to become a bigger monster in my closet than I want it to be.  Plus, my liberation all this week has shown me the ability to live without constant FB in my face. 

What I am most satisfied about, since making the commitment to get out of there this past week, is how comfortable using the blog has become again.  This is going to still be where I do my posting, and will then try to figure out how to get the blog posts over to the Artist page automatically, or manually if I have to. 

To make this long story longer, here's what I did... first I have deleted my other artist page, and left my personal page deactivated.  Both of those were under my normal email address, marchansonart@gmail.com (where you can reach me if you need to).  To open a new Artist Page, you  still have to have a personal profile account, can't be done without one, unless you 'buy an ad'.  In that case you can set up a 'Business' page as a stand alone entity.   I'm not interested in giving them a dime, so that was out of the question.  What I did was to get a separate email address added to my google account that is ONLY for Facebook.  I then set up an account, under a name that isn't my normal name.  I may begin to slowly add friends to that in the future, but for now I'm only going to use the Artist Page.  Once I set up the personal profile with the other name, I immediately went in and  made everything that could possibly be made private by clicking 'only me', private.  That way, it's almost as if that personal profile doesn't even exist.  Once that was done, I went to 'create page' on the drop down menu, and created the page Marc R. Hanson - Painter.  This is where you'll find me, where we can communicate in addition to what I'll be doing here on the blog.  

Thanks again for all of your previous comments and support. 




5 comments:

Jane Hunt said...

Glad it all went so well in St. George - sounds like a blast!
Good call on the new page - seems a very balanced solution - thanks for sharing your process. Before you set up the auto post to FB from your blog it might be worth looking into if they've changed the Edgerank 3rd party app penalty (FB algorithm set up to show auto posts to less viewers).

I love these three pieces, especially "Grove" wonderful sense of atmosphere!

Andy Dolphin said...

I follow a range of blogs on a variety of topics and the saddest thing I've witnessed is when a blogger takes to Facebook - and worse, Twitter - and essentially abandons the blog.

FB and Twitter are great for to-and-fro interaction and for getting a message out to a wide audience quickly, but they have virtually no archival value, no individual design features and are not designed as a means of disseminating volumes of information.

I'm happy to see you back blogging, your April '09 marathon was one of the major inspirations for me to start my own art blog and to get out painting more often.

And I have to agree with Jane, "Grove" is sublime.

Dee Kirkham said...

Marc, so happy to see you post this and take this very positive action! Good for you! FB is such an unproductive time killer and I admit I'm one of the addicts to you! Sometimes I feel like saying! Hi, I'm Dee and I'm a FB addict!!! I love blogs where you share your knowledge, experiences, life, and wisdom! Not just tell me about going to go to the store and what errands you ran that day!! Love your blog and love all the great "I can learn" stuff you are posting! Look forward to visiting again sometime down the the path of our art worlds! And now I'm off to start my blog cause you have been so inspirational! Thank you! Love your painting world!

Becky Joy said...

Thanks for posting how you did fb. I was wondering about that. My personal page has become a monster. I tried in the past to get people to switch to the business page to no avail. I really don't use fb for anything but business and have tried to figure out an effective way of not using the personal page and switching to the business page also.

John Farnsworth said...

Ditto Becky Joy's comment and all those praising your work. It is awesome.