Wednesday, March 19, 2008


'Golden Rays' - pastel - 12x11.75
Here's a little sneak peek of the finish piece from a demo that I think will be included in the July/August issue of The Pastel Journal. I've been interviewed by Deborah Secor, a great "interpreter" of "art talk" and one with the ability to take that mumble jumble and put it into wonderfully crafted paragraphs. She managed to see what I mean despite 'ME'. The issue features 'Sea and Skies'...and I'm the 'sky guy'. I used to be the 'cardinal guy' in my feathered critter painting days. So 'sky' guy is fine with me as long as I don't have to use all of those reds like I did back then.
The article will feature quite a few pastels with a lot of sky in them, and a demo of which this is the finish. Should be a good read. We had a great conversation and Deborah truly did capture what I meant to say. ;-)

6 comments:

Frank Gardner said...

Nice piece Marc. They picked a good person to interview for skies.
I don't think I can get that mag down here. I'll have to look on line or something.

Donna T said...

I can't wait to see that article, Marc! It will be wonderful to see your work in the Pastel Journal.

Elflling said...

This is such a wonderful painting! I'm glad that I am a subsriber of the pastel journal and I'm really looking forward to read the article!

Deborah Secor said...

Thanks for your kind words, Marc, but let me mention that every writer needs something to write ABOUT, and I found the interview with you to be really fascinating! YOu know your stuff, and you write about it well, too. The bonus is having so many of your beautiful sky paintings on my computer to look at all the time. In fact, I'm teaching a 2-class series on how to paint skies and clouds this week and will be using some of your stuff, both information and paintings. Hope that's okay with you!

Isabel Forbes said...

Beautiful work! I love it when I stumble across a blog like yours. I'll be visiting Charleston in May and will make sure I drop by Coleman Fine Art to see your originals. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Marc R. Hanson said...

I'm trying to catch up Frank. Sorry for being so delinquent on replying to everyone's comments. I don't take them lightly, just need to find the time to spend typing. Thanks again.

Donna T...thank you. I can't wait either. Deborah was wonderful to work with.

elflling...Let me know what you think. Thanks for the nice words.

Hi Deborah....How did the class go? Can't wait to see the issue. Thanks again for being such a good job of interpreting what's in my head as it falls out of my mouth.

Isabel...Thank you. This piece is in Charleston now at Coleman Fine Art.