Sunday, November 13, 2016

“Not everyone who drinks is a poet. Some of us drink because we're not poets.” ― Dudley Moore


I'm not painting today because I am getting supplies ready for an intense week of painting coming up.  I am listening to music, music that is full of soul and poetry.  Doing that is not easy when the beloved creators of the music, who have shared with us their heartfelt genius and allowed us to pour the sound waves into our own life space, are gone.

We've lost two more, Leonard Cohen and Leon Russell.  Perhaps two different beings in many ways.  But both of them have given us their Art, their Poetry; poetry that is likely to be with us long after we ourselves are gone.  

R.I.P ... Leon and Leonard.



Hummingbird - Leon Russell

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen




3 comments:

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi there Marc!... Strange the Universe and its workings. I have always been an ardent admirers of your poetry in paint... from a distance. It would seem that we both busy ourseves at our separate journeys... and yet ... we find... that we indeed have those journeys run in parallel.

Seems or musical tastes run in parallel as well.

I wonder....

How much else do we exist in a similar fashion? Art is such a powerful elixir of peace and tranquility. Perhaps we are ourselves "poets". Perhaps it is our Karma... simply to paint and let the cards fall where they may.

"Time is the only critic."
A.J Casson of the Canadian Group of Seven Painters

Good Painting,
Warmest regards,
Bruce

Rosemary Carstens said...

Yes these musicians who have provided a framework for our lives through the years will be missed. We are so lucky their music lives on. Thanks for the reminder--I am reading "The Sun & the Moon & the Rolling Stones" by Rich Cohen, learning a lot of history I didn't know.

Barbara Pask said...

I miss you on Facebook. Looks like I need to spend a bit more time on Instragram so I can see your wonderful new work. Happy painting Marc!