Saturday, March 28, 2009

My Painting Marathon...in case you want to follow it.

I'm feeling the need to shake off the metaphoric cobwebs that form from being in the studio, for what has seemed like a very long winter, and to get out and enjoy the spring weather (if it shows up... winter isn't letting go yet!). In light of that, I’m embarking on a one month project that I'm calling “My Painting Marathon”.

Beginning Wednesday, April 1, 2009 and continuing until April 30, 2009, I will be painting four (4) small paintings every day and posting them on my website blog. I do have a three day workshop scheduled the middle of April and won't be able to paint the 4 per day during that time. In order to keep the total number of paintings at 120, I'll be sprinkling one in here and there on other days throughout the month.

Why do this? A few years back, about 2005, following artist Duane Keiser’s 2004 ‘A Painting A Day’ lead (which became a world wide phenomenon), I like many other painters started a similar project. Mine didn’t make it too far. I painted daily anyway, whether working on a larger painting in the studio or completing smaller pieces en plein air. I’m a full time artist, that’s what I do! The one painting a day for it’s own sake seemed redundant for me so I let it go.

Now I’m feeling the need for a serious challenge, like being an artist isn't enough of one already. None the less, I think that I’ve found one. 4 paintings a day for 30 days should do it! Admittedly, it's a spin off of the Daily Painting movement, that's obvious. Even while just sitting here typing out this post about the project, the word "DAUNTING" is flashing like a migraine induced - kaleidoscopic image in my head. Committing to 120 paintings in 30 days is A LOT of commitment!

Maybe I should be committed?

Seriously... at the same time I'm eagerly anticipating how much this is going to teach me about painting. Subject matter is in existence all around me that I probably walk or drive past daily without noticing. This will give me more than enough opportunity to pay a little closer attention to my world. In addition to learning to understand how to see otherwise neglected subject matter, I suspect that the experience will build a pretty good card catalogue in my mental library on the subject of atmospheric mood, and seasonal color and texture in the landscape. Then there are all of the discoveries to be made about the tools and techniques that I use from painting this many paintings in such a concentrated drop of time. Efficient use of time! That might become the biggest lesson of all. I don't really know what all of the benefits will be, but I look forward to discovering them all.

You can opt to check in here on your own to view the daily paintings, or you can subscribe to my EMAIL NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION LIST.

In that case you will receive an email each day of the month of April previewing the images painted that day, or the previous day if I'm delayed in sending it out.

If you are already subscribed to my list but don't care to receive these daily mailings, you can unsubscribe at any time. If you decide to 'unsubscribe' I will be notified by FASO, the web host. At that time I will add your address to a folder that I can then add back to the email list when the project is over and you will be re-subscribed without having to do anything else. Or you can re-subscribe off an on as it suits you.

12 comments:

Frank Gardner said...

Awesome challenge Marc. Good luck. I'll be following.

Maggie Latham said...

Marc, what a great challenge in self discipline and to heighten intuitive response…and a well thought out marketing strategy for selling smaller less expensive pieces on the net. Can’t wait to see your lovely work. Now you have me thinking about challenging myself to four value studies a day for a month to improve my eye for plein air composition. You might have started a trend in monthly self-challenge exercises (lol)...
Maggie!

René PleinAir. said...

Wow, I'll bee following you.

I didn't get it though if the 120 X will be plein air or are you planning still life as well, or maybe even imaginary ones?

In any case can I order one in advance, ... hehehe

Good for you Marc, I hope it will bring you a lot!

susan hong-sammons said...

I've been a fan of your paintings and pastels for years. I wish our paths had crossed while I was living in Minnesota. Your "marathon" sounds exciting but I'll watch from the sidelines.

LSaeta said...

You maniac. I think the cold has gotten to you!
I struggle each day just trying to finish ONE painting and now you are going to do four? Holy smokes.
Of course, I have no doubt that you will succeed in this amazing feat. And that you will manage to complete 120 incredible paintings.
Now, for the important question - will they be for sale? If you recall, I own three Marc Hanson paintings and would love to add to the collection!
Congratulations on your ambitious challenge. Can't wait to see the results!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Frank. I'll be painting! ;)

Maggie... Go for it! I'm clearly not doing anything original here other than the numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere hasn't done something similar. I've borrowed little pieces of other ideas to put this together. The trick will be to do it for 30 days and keep the quality at a peak. I expect to be tired at the end, that's for sure.

Rene'... I'm being vague about that on purpose, the idea of landscape vs still life vs interiors. I definitely plan on them being from life, no matter what the subject is.
My idea is to use this as a growth tool. I'm a landscape painter, that's what 'turns my wheels'. So , thinking out loud, it makes the most sense for me to stick to that for this. That's what makes my enthusiasm meter start spinning fast.
Advance purchase??? I see that Duane Keiser pre-sold ( reserve )1000 'Oddments' for $150.00! Yes... I might give that some thought!!! :) In the future.

Thanks Susan! I enjoy hearing that. I hope to keep your attention.

Leslie... Yes, I am a maniac, and Yes, the cold does get to me! Now I get to go outside and spend 30 days non stop in it. You know, we can't even put plants outside here until May 1 at the earliest. And we're being told that about Tuesday we can expect anywhere between 3" and 12" of snow... or none! Should be interesting?!
On sales, yes they will be for sale. If you go to the page about it on the web site there is a .pdf document that you can open up that explains all of that called "Sales Procedures".

Kim VanDerhoek said...

Daunting? I say it is an admirable task that you've decided to take on and I am looking forward to seeing what you create as well as read what you learn from the experience.

craigstephens said...

I love you work and I'm looking froward to seeing so much more of it!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Kim I am planning, time permitting, to write a lot as the project progresses. Many of us teach and I've realized that a large benefit of the blog is that there are a lot of painters out there who are using them to gather information that might be of help to their own work. I know that I do the same thing.
Knowing that, I think it's important to do more than just "post a pic...and run".

Marc R. Hanson said...

Craig- Thanks for stopping by. I see you teach in Auburn. I looked at your blog. Your painting locations are almost all very familiar to me having spent high school in Loomis at Del Oro. Thanks for the memories.

Theresa Rankin said...

Marc...I must admire your challenge to yourself...I anticipate many wonderful works and I know the knowledge you will gain will be invaluable...you have become one of my favorite painters and I am looking forward to what you share!

Kathleen said...

Wow... Game On!
This will be exciting!
Kathleen