Friday, November 9, 2007

Four paintings off to the Planet Bronze Gallery in Bozeman, MT for a mini show.


I was asked to participate in the 2nd Annual Miniature Show in Bozeman, MT at the Planet Bronze Art Gallery with a public reception on December 7, 2007. I won't be able to be there for the opening, but the show runs through December.

All four of these little paintings were painted in the studio. I am a materials junkie and decided to paint them all on some lead primed canvas that I have remaining from Frederix Canvas. For those of you painters out there, it's RIX 111DP, and they don't make it primed with lead anymore according to their website. So I'm treasuring the little of it that I have left, it's a great surface. I used Studio Products Inc.'s 'flake white'...mmmm.... is that nice stuff to paint with. To top it off, I don't usually use a medium but in these paintings I used Garrett's 'heavy copal' medium. The combination of all of these pretty traditional materials was on purpose. They all tend to give the painting surface and finish a depth and glow of richness that I really like visually...that's it...a taste thing with me. And it's fun to step out of the ordinary and explore.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Did you paint that?

Marc Hanson said...

Hi Jenny....yes I did. Thanks for looking.

Brian Cragun said...

Marc,

Your paintings are always inspiring to me as an artist. I can see the use of alizarin here in your darks.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Yeah!!! Love that alizarin. Keep at it Brian, you've made huge leaps since I've known your work!!! Thanks.

Simon S. Andrews said...

insane.. love these colors.. it's real but such a great interpretation. glad i found your blog

Stinson Fine Art said...

Intense and powerful. Glad I blundered in.