Tuesday, May 6, 2008


'Wetland, Co. Rd. 7' - pastel - 8x16 - field study

This morning started like a beautiful spring day in May. Sun, warmth, the buds just starting to bulge with the expectant revealing of the new leaf growth for the season. Frogs croaking, red wing blackbirds chirping and establishing territories, and YES....Ticks! Darn, they're back. This is a time of the year when I most like to take out the pastels and try to capture that elusive, feather weight quality that the new greens possess. This is just me talking, but in my head, oil paints are a little 'heavy' and slightly 'clumsy' for the incredibly delicate textures and subtle shifts in hue and intensity that I see out there right now. I'm not saying that oils aren't completely compatible with it ( no nasty emails please :), but I love what pastel will do for me at this time of year. Anyway, this is the result. Thanks for looking.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You captured a beauty that grips my eyes and won't let go. Thank you.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you anonymous! :) We're in the middle of one of the most beautiful times of year to paint. Though the weather is active and just when you think that it is going to be a perfect situation...it changes. Makes spring even that more fleeting and attractive.

indiaartist said...

This is beautiful. It is looking deceptively simple here. Great.

Frank Gardner said...

Nice touch with the pastels in this one Marc.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Fleeting and attractive. My eyes always gasp to try to take it in before it's gone.....all the subtly different personalities of greens that will soon harden into a more homogenous summer hue.....
Everywhere I go, I've been seeing your pastel "painting".....I've never experienced that from a painting before.
I'm wondering if you also love this spring beauty: when on a rainy day the whole rainbow of spring greens is magnified when the dun browns and greys of winter bark have drunk in all the rain and are made rich black like black gold, and when the sky is drowned in rain-heavy blue-grey clouds, and somehow the greens are like the sun, radiating light, not reflecting it.
It's supposed to rain tomorrow. I'm wondering if you'll be painting/pasteling that beauty....

Donna T said...

Beautiful spring greens, Marc. Is this on Wallis? You really caught that delicate new-leaf look.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi indiaartist...Thank you. :)

Frank...I finally responded in under a month!!! Thanks for looking in Frank. I appreciate it.

anonymous...Wow! You have a way with words. Your description of a rainy spring day is beautiful. Thanks for writing it. Well it didn't rain yesterday here, but I was out painting in pastel. The rain can do a number on pastels so they don't come with me on those days. But I did do a piece that was under the influence of the spring clouds and wetness. It's in my latest post.
I'm pleased that my pastel has had that kind of an affect on someone. Thank you for your thoughtful post. :)

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Donna...Thanks. This is on UArt sanded paper, 500 grit. This is my paper of choice now. A good consistent grit and it comes in 4 different coarseness grits.

Simon S. Andrews said...

wow.. su-weet piece.