Thursday, April 16, 2009

April 16, 2009

If you remember, at the start of my marathon of painting, I mentioned that in mid April I would be teaching a 3 day workshop. That happens this weekend.

So... that means NO posts Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

My goal with this project was to challenge myself to stick with this schedule of four paintings per day every day of the month realizing that this weekend would throw me off slightly. I’ve thought about what to do. Here’s what it’s going to be... The missing 12 paintings for the next three days will be painted and posted. Don’t think that I’m getting away with anything, I’m not! ;-) I’ll paint some of the 12 after the workshop days end in the evening and the others will be added to how ever many days it takes to make up the deficit. That means that on some of the next days I will be painting 5 or 6 paintings per day! How’s that for nuts!? Because I know that so many people are following this, I’m adding a little surprise ending. The 12 missing paintings will be posted either the last day of April, or the first day of May in their entirety. There will be another little surprise about these images, but until then, I’m not telling!


“Emergence” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
The water lilies are just beginning to poke their leaves above the waters’ surface. Winter’s over!



“Calling Goose” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Mid day paintings are so tough. Another flat light situation. Weather is moving in so there was a lot of high altitude moisture in the upper atmosphere producing an overall grayed down color palette.



“Peeper Pond” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I’ve been to this little pond three times now during this project and it has always greeted me with a new painting idea. Frogs are still very, very loud!


“Red Cedars” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I painted this evening on one of the most gorgeous pieces of land around. There were so many paintings that it required more than one painter to keep up with it. But this is what I did this time.

5 comments:

Christine's Arts said...

These are very wonderful outdoor paintings. You are so talented. You are encouraging for me to get out there and paint from nature. I've done several from photographs and some drawings out on the field. I think I will take my oils next time. Thanks for posting your daily paintings.

Christy said...

"Emergence" is a wondrous piece! I love what you said a few days ago about painting outdoors even if you finish or do over in the studio, because your emotions are behind your work that way. Spring is popping here too, and I'm painting outdoors much sooner since your brave inspiring craziness. Thanks (I think)

Jeremy Elder said...

Great texture on "Peeper Pond". I especially like the palate knifing that composes the brush at the side of the pond.

Karen Hargett said...

I have to tell you I have been loving your painting marathon although I haven't had much of a chance to respond but the are ALL great! I look forward to my daily e-mail with your wonderful paintings.

Will you do any pastels during your marathon? Which do you prefer to use when painting outside like you have been?

Solvay said...

Emergence!
Oh Oh Oh!
Love that one.......and I also so appreciate the way you can make paint look like pastels and pastels look like paint - I like having to look close in, in some of your works, to see which it is.