Monday, April 6, 2009

April 6, 2009

First some house keeping... Thanks you to all of you who are pushing that Paypal button! I can’t believe how much fun that is!!! Here’s the deal though, my website doesn’t automatically mark a painting ‘SOLD’ when someone purchases it with Paypal. I have to go in and manually mark paintings ‘sold’. That means that you might notice that I have to refund your Paypal funds because someone beat you to the punch... by seconds... if recent history is any gauge. I’m grateful for the action, but sad when someone finally decides to give up their hard earned money on a piece of art only to have it result in not being a purchase. I truly appreciate each and every person who wants one of my paintings. I hope that your fingers are fast, some of yours are faster than mine, that’s for sure. Thank you all!

Today was definitely not a day of contrasts! It was sunny, cold and windy, as in gusts up to 30kts... all day long. That being, I decided that today would be a ‘from the front seat of the old Ford’ painting day. This was a good thing. It gave me a theme for the day... Roads. And a secondary theme... Warm. Painting in the truck is a little confining and I think most painters would prefer not to, but in a pinch it’s the perfect solution. It isn’t the temps that are trouble on days like today. It’s that wind again. It is tough to reach for any perfection in your art at all if your hand and easel are being bounced around like a ping pong ball. Even the car was ‘a’ rockin’ today making my mark making difficult at times. But hey, any day painting is better than not painting.


“Red Mailbox” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
We are in the middle of a high pressure system that has ushered in clear skies and very high winds. The result is color that is rich and saturated, unobstructed by humidity and rich because of the still lower angle of the sun. This scene caught me right away this morning so I pulled over and went to work. The mailbox was the punctuation that the picture needed.


“Teal Avenue” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I should just move into one these farmsteads on Teal Ave, I’m there so much. This is the same spot that I painted “That White House” a few days ago. This is the first time that I’ve painted looking this way though. I’ve shot many photos of this farm in the middle of the coldest time of year at sunrise, in summer prior to thunderstorms arriving, it’s always attractive to me.


“Cloud Shadows” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
There was something about the house in the distance backed by a cool treeline, that I found interesting. About the time I set up, having decided that this would be more of a sky themed painting, the clouds started growing in size and casting shadows across the landscape. This was one of those things that happen painting en plein air that you don’t plan on, but that are a godsend. I love the shadowed foregrounds with little slices of warm sunlight traversing across the picture plane in the middle ground.


“Dairy Barn” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
My interest in this scene was the bright backlit sky that silhouetted this dairy farm. Once again a cloud co-operated by casting it’s shadow across the road and into the field. Here’s how this works... You’ve set up an entire painting based on a concept that you thought you had in mind. 3/4th’s of the way into the painting, something really cool happens and you basically repaint the entire painting in a few minutes. Hmmmm... so why was I sitting here for 45 minutes? Hey, not everything is evident immediately and those fleeting moments are some of the best. That’s my excuse.

13 comments:

LSaeta said...

Yikes! Every time I go to the site to purchase one of your paintings I see they are already sold. I guess I am going to have to sit and wait by my computer ... go to your site ... and keep hitting "refresh" all day. Good for you!

Robin Roberts said...

Marc, This is such a cool thing. I bet it is pretty demanding on you. It is exciting to see the next day's work and something to look forward to. And, in a way, something to aspire to. On a much smaller scale for some of us. Thanks for putting yourself through this for us.

RR

Ed Terpening said...

Wow, did you really paint all these in one day? Incredible. Your work is always consistently good.

Judy said...

How do you paint in the truck? Front seat? Steering wheel? Any suggestions, I'd like to try my Merc Sable wagon front seat. Your work is beautiful. Judy

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Leslie... It's going well. :) Thanks.

Robin... It's like having a job! LOL But a good one. My pleasure. Thank you.

Ed... I"m painting 4 per day for 30 days. That's what the blog posts are showing, my daily paintings. Thanks.

Judy... In the truck the best equipment for me is my 10x12 OpenBoxM panel/pallette holder. It opens up so that it's flat. I rest that against the steering wheel and paint. The perfect size cup holder, built in, holds the thinner container. A towel for the lap, things happen, and an old coat or shirt, sleeves seem to end up in the palette, suction cup window screens(baby sunblockers) to keep the sun at bay (the car parts cast weird shadows), I have a moon roof that helps to let in a lot of light, that's about it. You can move into the passenger seat, it's usually more spacious. But I'm right handed and find reaching across my work to clean brushes a bother so I stay in the drivers side. That also allows a quick drive away if anything comes up.

Robin Roberts said...

"That also allows a quick drive away if anything comes up."

Sounds like there is a great story in that line somewhere.

RR

Marc R. Hanson said...

Yes Robin... like the sudden urge for lunch! :) or maybe a landowner who thinks a guy sitting in the front seat of a truck alone is weird.
I've never run into anything serious, most people are curios though and will stop and see what you're up to, even in the sticks...which is good reason to be able to leave without hesitation.
I'm afraid that I'm an ex Boy Scout... Always be prepared!
I had a very nice landowner stop in his truck because he thought that I was scoping and hunting coyotes. I had the impression that he was hoping so.

Brent Seevers said...

Excellent work. I like the way you handle the trees.

Mark Bridges said...

Another bunch of fantastic pieces. I'm hoping for cyber osmosis to get my "twiggy foliage" strokes like yours.

Frank Gardner said...

These are real solid Marc. I keep forgetting that they are 5x7s.
Yeah, whoever is buying these must be sitting right by their computers, because when I look they all have sold written on them.

Erik said...

Beautiful images again, love the 'road-movie' style.
In 'Teal Avenue' I especially like the warm bouncelight on the left side of the house.
Have you already decided on what your favorite surface to paint on is?

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Brent... Thank you.

Mark... Okay, thanks. And let me know how the osmosis goes. Might try that myself if it works. Thinking about Sorolla!!!

Thank you Frank. Some lightening speed fingers out there. Not complaining....

Marc R. Hanson said...

Erik... I like that phrase, "Road Movie Style". Thanks for the comments.
Yes, the surface that is catching the majority of those road movie clips is one that I first paint on a coat of slightly thinned acrylic prime with pumice in it, followed by a coat of cut shellac (50% cut). It grabs the paint but doesn't allow it to sink in. At this scale, that is perfect for how I want these to look. It's fast to paint on. All on the 8ply rag board.