Saturday, April 4, 2009

April 2009 Painting Marathon Redux

April 4, 2009

I'm going to consider today a good day! Compared to what is in store for tomorrow, today is a good day. Yep, snow is on it’s way. I’m not titling any more of these “Last of...”, “End of...”, “The Remains of...” or “Winter’s Last...”.... SNOW! It doesn’t appear that it’s going to end.

I stayed close to home today and it was good. First painted on the main drag through lovely Taylors Falls. Stood in the parking lot of the ‘The Drive In’, that’s the name, to paint the Bench Street house. From there on to the paddle boat boarding area in the state park to paint the beautiful rocks in high water. Those rocks are normally about 15ft out of the water. The rest of the day was under more of those grey skies.

I’ve had a lot of questions about size, surface and how to purchase, thank you! So here’s that scoop. These are all 5”x7”, oil on 8-ply 100% rag museum board with a shellac primer. Once in awhile, about once a day for a change of pace, I'll use one that has had linen mounted to it. They are for sale for $110.00 plus shipping, insurance and tax for MN residents. To purchase you can go to my website and into the collection on the ‘paintings’ page called ‘April Painting Marathon’. The link will take you right there. When you enlarge the thumbnails you will see a Paypal ‘Buy Now’ button below the image. If you want to use that, click on it and Paypal will do the rest. You can either create a Paypal account or use a the one time credit card feature. That is the easiest way to purchase these paintings. The other way is to call or email me if you want to purchase one. If you don’t want to use Paypal but prefer to send a check, that is the method to use. I will tell you though that a couple of people who wanted a painting were emailing me while the one they wanted sold via Paypal. Paypal is fast. Paypal figures the shipping, insurance and tax for us. If you want to use another method I will have to tell you the additional charges above the $110.00 sale price.

Well... I hope that covers that.


“Bench Street Red Door” 5x7 , oil, © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Taylors Falls has many wonderful old houses that I’ve been wanting to paint and for whatever reason haven’t. This is a good opportunity to get to work on that. I had planned to paint houses (lot’s of people ask me if that’s what I do...) all day. That was until the sun disappeared and I lost the shadows. Houses in flat light aren’t that interesting to me.


“Latte On The Rocks” 5x7, oil, © Marc R. Hanson 2009
The water up here is at least as dark as good french roast, maybe espresso. The grays and cool top light on the rocks were irresistible today. Because of the high water the dam up stream is producing a lot of foam and froth. The ingredients for a good Latte!


“St.Croix Falls Dam” 5x7, oil, © Marc R. Hanson 2009
This was painted from a vantage point above the dam. The dam stretches to the left of the picture about another 75 or 100 yards. It has a very graceful arch to the edge of the spill way. The water level is always right at the top of the dam itself. Big fish live in that area!


“Tin Roof Saturday” 5x7, oil, © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Why didn’t I paint this tomorrow... Tin Roof Sunday? It was a relief to be out in the open after so much myopic study and concentration earlier in the day. It was a sigh of ‘Aahhhh, sky and breadth.” The buildings are the last of the old farmstead still standing. The house is a pile of rubble, it wasn’t last summer. Very sad. But the color was beautiful and the sense of what used to be in those two buildings was omnipresent.

18 comments:

Jeremy Elder said...

Thanks for the information on your surfaces. I can now pick out which were painted on which. I really love "Latte on the Rocks." Those rich, buttery browns are great!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hey thanks Jeremy. I shot this quick and it has too much glare. The painting is less 'active' than the highlights picking up glare imply here.

Teresa said...

Marc, I love all of these! The Dam is my favorite - that curve and the color compliments just drew me right to it! Hope it doesn't snow too much for you tomorrow - our weather man said it would do the same here yesterday but it wasn't too bad.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Teresa... Thank you very much! ;-) I've wanted to paint that dam for some time. This was the best light on it today that I've seen for a painting. Worked out nicely. I'm very glad that you like it that much.
You had snow? I thought you lived in a desert?
High desert then?

Scott Boyle said...

Mark, I just painted 3 outdoor studies today and I'm beat. I don't know how you can keep this up. And then making all these posts. You're a machine! You are going to need a long vacation after this month. I do appreciate what you are doing and I'm sending your blog to other outdoor painters I know. Really did enjoy your workshop at Taylors Falls a couple of years ago.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Hi Scott, good to hear from you. And thanks for passing this along to others.
Well, I'm usually pretty tired. Last night the last email had me up until about 11:00 pm. Once I'm done painting these, it's photographing, editing, writing something up and then posting to blog, website and newsletter. It does take some time.
Tonight when I finished painting, about 4:30, I went and worked out for about 1-1/2 hours. I try to stay in shape and that definitely helps.
That said, I'm praying for nice weather. That makes it sooooo much easier to do this. If you're wet and cold it's worlds tougher.
Thanks again Scott.

René PleinAir. said...

An other great quarto, ...

That white house is just awesome, I like the way you keep changing subjects, maybe it's necessary to keep you focused but for the viewer it's also a nice change. Are you "sketch-hunting" or is the strategy what to paint more or less already laid out?

Just once more about your palette, if I get it right you use Ultrm. blue(dark) Cobalt blue, Viridian, Cadmium red (med) Lemon yellow, and Titanium white.

Correct?

Marc R. Hanson said...

Rene'... I'm looking for new ideas that keep me 'fresh'. It is like 'sketch hunting'. Thank you, I was having a pretty good time painting that house.

Here's the palette...

Cad Lemon Yellow -WN
Cad Yellow Deep-Rembrandt
Yellow Ochre lt - Schmicke 'norma' or M.Graham Yellow ochre
Perm Red Medium -Rembrandt
Either Venetian red -Sennelier, or Terra Rosa-WN
Perm Alizarin - Gamblin, or Alizarin-WN
Transparent Oxide red-Rembrandt
Ultramarine Deep-Rembrandt
Viridian -WN
Ivory black (used very, very little but once in awhile it's a good modifier)

Teresa said...

Oh ya, we get our share of snow - it's 25 degrees this morn (heat wave) LOL. And yes, I'm in the high desert - we are at a little over 6000ft

Jean Levert Hood said...

I am loving this visual feast every day, Marc!

Jamie said...

Marc, what is there to say other than "Wow!" You're a painting maniac....but then, we've known that for a long time. ;) I'm really interested in seeing how this marathon progresses. April should provide you with an interesting sweep of temperatures and colors. I notice you're using your "fuller" palette, and I'd assume that's making the color mixing go a bit faster. I'm intrigued by the two yellow ochres you've decided to carry along.

Are all those colors laid out on the palette before you head out in the morning? Are you pre-mixing base colors, then tweaking those as you go? Inquiring minds want to know!

I truly enjoy the commentary along with the paintings, and appreciate your willingness to answer questions.

Lastly, thank you so much for putting these out there at low prices so that those of us on a limited budget can enjoy your work up close and personal!

Jamie

LSaeta said...

you really are on a roll. Did you forget to include a DAY OFF in your ambitious plans? You realize that all of us who are SO PROUD for finishing 5 - 7 paintings a week now look like slackers because of you. Such an over achiever!
I love these paintings. And thanks for including the information on how we can purchase them. A great opportunity for all of us to own a Marc Hanson original!

Anonymous said...

*Looks at your paint brands*

Hey Marc have you thought about supporting your local Paint manufacturer instead of the inferior Chinese made paint(I have it on good authority that W&N are now made in China...along with most everything else.)

I'm sure that Studio Products would help you paint even better. :-)

http://store.studioproducts.com/Paints-p-1-c-257.html

Anonymous said...

*needs an edit button*

Forgot to put my name in the previous post, twas me. :-)

Eugene

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Jean...

Hi Jamie... Maniac is a word that is in my dreams every night lately! If April turns green, I'll be jumping for joy. The ochres are 'one' ochre, just different brands. The way the type set up on the post it looks like two. One is M.Graham and one is Schmincke, about the same in hue, saturation and value. I use whichever one I have.
I'm not premixing but there is always paint on the palette. I don't have time to remove it... :)
Thanks.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Leslie... Stay proud! I don't normally work like this. I paint all day, but if a life situation happens I normally take part. This month not high water, snow or sleet, or anything else is going to interfere.
This is showing me how much more harder I need to work though. It's a lesson.
I'm getting acclimated to being out all day, to sticking with the process and to doing all of the admin stuff at night. It's a good lesson for me too.
I do have a three day workshop in mid April to teach. I mentioned that in the beginning of this project. What I plan to do is paint an extra painting or two for a number of days to meet the deficit due to the workshop. At the end of this, I'll post those paintings to make the balance up.
Thanks for your support... Truly. :)

Marc R. Hanson said...

Eugene... All of my WN paint says 'Made in England', all of my Rembrandt says 'Made in Holland'.
Until I see differently, I'll be using those.
It wouldn't surprise me if they did.
I do use some Studio Products, products. Flake white, white lead primer.

Anonymous said...

lol the labels may be made in England and Holland but the paint isnt! ;-)


Eugene