Sunday, April 5, 2009

April 5, 2009

Today was a day of contrasts! Snow, the typical ‘winter wonderland’ morning, a couple of inches of snow covering everything. My second painting of the day was an exercise in tolerating wind and watching the snow melt in front of my eyes. The middle of the day found me surrounded by cliffs and rocks, a nice makeshift out of the wind ‘oven’. Very nice there. Not to be kept contained, I wandered into the countryside for the end of the day. It was warmer, temps had climbed up to 45˙ F, not bad. The only issue was the wind. But I’ll take sun (WARM) and wind, at this point, over cold and wind. Like I said, a day of contrasts.


‘Soft Morning’ oil, 5x7, © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Nice start to the day, winds calm and a frosting of fresh snow. It didn’t last, I’m glad that I had the chance to try to understand it for a brief period of time.


‘Cold Creek’ oil, 5x7, © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Following the morning I found this little creek along a county road. I’ve painted it before, but not in winter. I’ll say this, I don’t know how cold the creek was, I didn’t stick my big toe in it. But I know how cold I was so that’s the name like it or not! I required warm soup before the next one.


‘Cliff Hugger’ oil, 5x7, © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I mentioned the rock oven above. Seems like my neighborhood state park is my retreat when the elements are stacked against me. I’m glad that it’s there. This painting was painted almost entirely with a palette knife, a little bitty one. There is some brush work, mostly knocking down too much detail or definition. Still might be to much of that, but I am happy with the results.



‘Treeline Farm’ oil, 5x7, © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I’m nuts, okay! Let’s just accept that for now. The afternoon warmed up, but the winds picked up to what must have been 20 kts at least. I had to weight my tripod with the backpack to keep it upright. I love the farmsteads around here. By the end of this project I’ll probably have spent a lot of time exploring them. Especially if the weather is a little nicer. They’re just so full of character and history and I love that about them. It’s not easy to say a lot about how you feel about them on a 5x7 inch surface, but I hope that I at least can portray the emotional response that I feel for each one’s character. This one caught my eye due to the backlit sky silhouetting the buildings.

15 comments:

Tim Schutz said...

Marc, 'Cliff hugger' rocks!

Haha, seriously, really like that one.

Frank Gardner said...

Yeah, Cliff Hugger is great!
You got four more than I did today Marc.

Mark Bridges said...

Well, I think everyone likes the cliff hugger.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Tim ( I'm laughing... Tree Hugger was the impetus for the title and in my own bad sense of humor, I thought that was funny :)...and Frank.

Frank I bet yours was a bit larger. I'm surprise though that these little ones are taking me as long as an 11x14. I'm putting a lot into them.

Mark... It's agreed then!

Jeremy Elder said...

Very nice as usual. "Cliff Hugger" reminds me of a Schmid - very masterful palate knife use!

Jo Castillo said...

These are excellent. I like the Cliff Hugger, too. I think you have just enough detail. Paintings that are too minimal do not have any feeling in them to me. :) I am amazed. I'm lucky to get 4 sketches done in a day and I paint quickly ... I thought. We have to add in the time you traveled, too. Wow!

René PleinAir. said...

"Cliff hugger" is great although they all are, ...

The first could be done here in Holland as well.

I reckon that 2 kts. isn't 2 kilometers the second, that would be heroic to stay upright with your gear. :-P

Thanks for the thorough explanation of your palette yesterday, much appreciated.

adebanji said...

Great work!!! Very inspiring!

susan hong-sammons said...

I think one of the best things about your paintings is that it's easy to see your passionate love for what you paint as well as the paint itself.

Christy said...

Okay, you're certifiable alright. But now you've made me feel like a wimp for not going outside yet. Getting a huge kick and inspiration from your adventures!

L.Holm said...

I love the first one--amazing range of close values, and beautiful atmosphere. Cliff Hugger is stupendous, too. Wow!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Jeremy that's a nice compliment! I'm trying but that's a broad reach, but a goal.
Thanks.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Jo.. Good for you! It's a push for sure. I wasn't sure how much information I'd end up putting into these, a few strokes or treat them like a normal piece of work. Turns out that I enjoy painting them as if they were larger pieces. Thanks.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Rene'... Thanks.

Adebanji... Thank you too.

Susan... Its interesting, at least to me, how things end up being subject matter for my paintings. Certain things just don't hold my interest. I want to paint them, but as I am doing that, I lose the 'inspiration' to continue with the same enthusiasm that others bring. So I have just learned to accept that I have an area of interest that is my muse and that I should just follow that instead of thinking that I should be doing something else. I paint the most emotionally when I'm painting the landscape.

Thanks Christy??? I think??? :) I am though, I'm proving it myself. Certifiably 'lucky' to be able to do this for a life.

L.Holm... Thank you.

Simon Jones said...

Hi Marc, love your work, especially like "cold Creek" , great texture and spontaneity.